• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best forward a-arms

Best spindle forward a-arms?

• Skinz Concept

Votes: 36 43.4%
  • ZBROZ

Votes: 33 39.8%
  • CR Racing

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • Diamond S

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
P

pelon

Oct 29, 2008
Billings Montana
I would like to hear what everyone thinks about the current selection of aftermarket a-arms that are available with a forward mount of the spindle.

The poll will focus on
1) Skinz
2) CR Racing
3) Zbroz
4) Diamond S

thanks for talking and voting

Last edited:

clatla

Premium Member
Mar 9, 2010
MN
I do not know any one with the other 3 brands but know plenty of guys with the Skinz including myself and they are very nice. I could not believe the transformation from stock to the forward style. If you are looking for Skinz see the guys at OFT Racing.

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
I have run the Skinz a-arms for two seasons now - the perform great for the way I ride. I did send them in last fall to get the update done for the joints on the lower arms. Customer service (setup questions and updates) has been great.

All that being said - I have not had the opportunity to try any of the other arms so I won't cast a vote. I can't tell you in full confidence that Skinz are the best - they work great for me, but my only comparison is to a stock sled.

I would be curious to see how many riders have actually ridden these different kits on similarly prepped sleds on the same day back to back. I am sure the makers of each kit and Yamaha have, but the chances of them posting are as good as:

(insert witty joke about yamaha's next mountain sled here...)

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
I spent almost all of last season testing different front end setups on the Nytro. It started out with a prototype set sent to me from an unnamed source. By the end of the season I had a set up that I am very happy with. Two critical things I learned. 1. Anymore than 3" forward is too much. 2. Being able to adjust caster and camber independently is very important. Nuff said.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
I built my own by cutting down some barkbuster arms. 38 inch wide and 2 inch forward had amazing results. First day I kept yanking the sled all the way over on its side...:face-icon-small-coo

Set I cut down to 36 inch wide seemed to give up too much stability though.

Nytro real problem though is top heavy motor, if you dont believe me ride a 2007 up Phazer which is almost the same weight. I went to boosted Phazer from a boosted Nytro and would not go back. (sold Nytro still have ultralight n/a Nytro)

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Mountaintech
I am just curious what types of issues did you encounter doing your testing that helped you decide > 3" was too much on the nytro. Besides the obvious things like upper shock mount locations, shock geometry, and clearance issues with tie rods. My intension is not to bash or disproving anything here. I am just curious what you came across in your testing.

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
Mountaintech
I am just curious what types of issues did you encounter doing your testing that helped you decide > 3" was too much on the nytro. Besides the obvious things like upper shock mount locations, shock geometry, and clearance issues with tie rods. My intension is not to bash or disproving anything here. I am just curious what you came across in your testing.

The 3 issues you mentioned for starters. Then, the further forward you put the skis, the more likely you are to high center when loading and loading. I found this out the hard way. Ripped the plastic tabs off both sides of my lower panels.

Last edited by a moderator:

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Hey Mountaintech.
Thanks for the information. Little things like that can definitely be wearing on your patience for sure. I am sure someone else will chime in and say that is a very small issue comapred to the overwhelming benefits of moving the skies forwards more then 3". I believe that the further forward you move things the better balance the sled will have. I just dont like what I see as compremises that you have to make to move things further forward.
I was thinking that you had uncovered some handling issue with moving things forward >3" that people have not talked about. there are sure a lot of opinions out there on this subject. I guess you cant always make everyone happy. I am looking forward to installing my new front end this year to see what all the hype is about. when it is all said and done you cant go wrong with any of the kits that help with the poor geometry of the nytro. It is just a matter of opinion on which one is better for you personally

Last edited:

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
In all the testing I did I can honestly say that going further than 3" forward gained you nothing in terms of handling. The sled actually feels worse at 4.5 or 5" forward. As far as the high centering goes.....that's just plain unacceptable for me. And that was loading into a standard height pickup with an 8 foot loading ramp!

BBNytro

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2009
Estevan, Sask
Anybody looking for a Skinz front end, I still have a set collecting dust in my garage. Upgraded to the 5/8 heim and powdercoated black.

Dec 21, 2008
Nytro real problem though is top heavy motor, if you dont believe me ride a 2007 up Phazer which is almost the same weight. I went to boosted Phazer from a boosted Nytro and would not go back. (sold Nytro still have ultralight n/a Nytro)[/QUOTE]

The nytro motor is actually pretty low in the chassis. The problem i see is that the next heaviest thing on the sled is the fuel tank, and its located higher than anything else. I own a nytro with an impulse turbo, so Im dropping the tank about 5 inches into the tunnel so it sits about the same height as any other sled and I can run the stock seat. I think its going to make a large differance.

The only a arms I have run is the skinz. like them, but also not voting as I have no experiance with any other set up.

C
Nov 29, 2008
Therein lies the Nytro's issues - too much weight too high up and too far forward - everything is centralized but unfortunately its mostly ahead of the rider.
Still surprised that Yamaha couldn't have addressed this on their own. To fix the issue(s) you have to throw gobs of $ at it.
I ride at close to sea level so the NA Nytro has lots of power but handling sucks!

To get it to where it should / could be I figure that it needs:
1. A-arm forward relocate kit (Yamaha could have easily redesigned / repositioned the front clip to achieve same results)
2. Steering post relocate kit
3. Lightweight skid (after market, Cat float, or Mtn SE version)
4. Exhaust work so tank can be lowered and moved under the rider seat (increase capacity)
5. Boards - again Yam could have easily doe a variation on polaris stock boards
6. Tunnel cooler + rad delete
7. Lightweight battery

Basically a 40 to 50 lb weight loss (more would be better - but 50 lbs is reasonable) and better balance would make it a truly fine, capable, dependable sled but what does Yamaha do ....

M
Jan 14, 2004
Therein lies the Nytro's issues - too much weight too high up and too far forward - everything is centralized but unfortunately its mostly ahead of the rider.
Still surprised that Yamaha couldn't have addressed this on their own. To fix the issue(s) you have to throw gobs of $ at it.
I ride at close to sea level so the NA Nytro has lots of power but handling sucks!

To get it to where it should / could be I figure that it needs:
1. A-arm forward relocate kit (Yamaha could have easily redesigned / repositioned the front clip to achieve same results)
2. Steering post relocate kit
3. Lightweight skid (after market, Cat float, or Mtn SE version)
4. Exhaust work so tank can be lowered and moved under the rider seat (increase capacity)
5. Boards - again Yam could have easily doe a variation on polaris stock boards
6. Tunnel cooler + rad delete
7. Lightweight battery

Basically a 40 to 50 lb weight loss (more would be better - but 50 lbs is reasonable) and better balance would make it a truly fine, capable, dependable sled but what does Yamaha do ....

I've said it before and I'll say it again, despite the lag and the blah blah blah of the rear mount the forward weight issue is why I will never do three things. Run a front mount turbo, run a supercharger or EVER run a trail tank (total POS). For me strictly for the improved weight balance its rear mount turbo spare gas on the back where it belongs. JMO.

M5

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
I've said it before and I'll say it again, despite the lag and the blah blah blah of the rear mount the forward weight issue is why I will never do three things. Run a front mount turbo, run a supercharger or EVER run a trail tank (total POS). For me strictly for the improved weight balance its rear mount turbo spare gas on the back where it belongs. JMO.

M5

Mid mount with the fuel tank in the "right" spot. Going to ride it like this again this season (maybe put a seat on finally) My A arm setup totally transformed the sled last season. Spent almost the whole season testing different A arm configurations and finally figured it out. Great mountain set up. The mid mount setup has been sweet. Very responsive and I'm still on the original mild steel header. Proper design and SUPPORT is the key.

000_0003.jpg 000_0006.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features