• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

rebuild crank or BRP short block?

J
Feb 19, 2008
Ogden
Rebuild! Much cheaper and not hard. You can completely rebuild and mod with RKT drop in kit and add 20HP for less than a short block!

Just did this last season.

B

bikerjustin

Apr 14, 2008
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Buy brand new crank from Dee's Marine. They run $550. You will be much money ahead. I rebuilt mine-in fact it should be sent back to me today- and it ended up costing more than that.
$150 for labor
$100 for shipping
$25 for iso flex
$100 for center gear
aprox $100 for inner bearings and seals
$175 for rods
plus i already put 2 new pto bearings on it last season that failed.
$180 in bearings last season. plus $80 in labor
I am not going to add it up because it does not put smile on my face but I know its more than a BRAND NEW (NOT REBUILT) crank from Dee's Marine would have cost me.

http://www.deesmarine.com/

if you decide to rebuild- http://precision-performance.com/index.asp

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Buy brand new crank from Dee's Marine. They run $550. You will be much money ahead. I rebuilt mine-in fact it should be sent back to me today- and it ended up costing more than that.
$150 for labor
$100 for shipping
$25 for iso flex
$100 for center gear
aprox $100 for inner bearings and seals
$175 for rods
plus i already put 2 new pto bearings on it last season that failed.
$180 in bearings last season. plus $80 in labor
I am not going to add it up because it does not put smile on my face but I know its more than a BRAND NEW (NOT REBUILT) crank from Dee's Marine would have cost me.

http://www.deesmarine.com/

if you decide to rebuild- http://precision-performance.com/index.asp
thats not a Brand new crank,Those run about 2 grand. thats a Reman from Doo and the are $550 but do a really nice job with all new parts including rods.

B

bikerjustin

Apr 14, 2008
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
thats not a Brand new crank,Those run about 2 grand. thats a Reman from Doo and the are $550 but do a really nice job with all new parts including rods.

According to them they are brand new and non remans. I called and asked. But regardless it's still a better price than going through a rebuild and a buddy told me they are selling them on eBay for even less.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
According to them they are brand new and non remans. I called and asked. But regardless it's still a better price than going through a rebuild and a buddy told me they are selling them on eBay for even less.

Your getting a line of bull.The Remans are $550. new is over 2 grand.trust me I have checked many times ,most shops like to say they are brand new since all the parts are replaced. better yet tell your dealer I will take 10 Brand New cranks at $550 and I will give you a grand for a finders fee.

Last edited:
R

rev_rider800

Jan 23, 2011
minneapols mn
Call Big John as SHR, it's the best thing you can doo, honestly!! You will not find better service anywhere...as for the "drop in" kit, I still don't see how pistons a head and reflash gets you as much hp as a ported 860bb with bored carbs...as for the crank, a re-man from brp is the ONLY logical way to go! Not some cheap china bearings you're going to get somewhere else...180 miles on a fully rebuilt crank from sea doo clinic and it failed, JUNK...add up the cost of BRP bearings, and labor to instal them, way more than a BRP re-man which also comes with new rod bearings...Again, call big, best price you'll find when you comp the quality.
612-718-3861...any other phone call, you might as well slam your b_ner in a car door....just my $.02

M
Jun 3, 2010
John at Northern Crankshaft in TRF Mn, does outstanding work at reasonable rates.
I agree Byeatts; new complete cranks are about $1,100. I'm in the middle of doing mine and the exchange with BRP is the most economical way out. I needed my cases machined, the case was machined too tight on the bearings from BRP. I lost all the grease on the MAG side and she never locked up. I have no clue when it happened.

Lucky to say the least.

Last edited:
S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
Call Big John as SHR, it's the best thing you can doo, honestly!! You will not find better service anywhere...as for the "drop in" kit, I still don't see how pistons a head and reflash gets you as much hp as a ported 860bb with bored carbs...as for the crank, a re-man from brp is the ONLY logical way to go! Not some cheap china bearings you're going to get somewhere else...180 miles on a fully rebuilt crank from sea doo clinic and it failed, JUNK...add up the cost of BRP bearings, and labor to instal them, way more than a BRP re-man which also comes with new rod bearings...Again, call big, best price you'll find when you comp the quality.
612-718-3861...any other phone call, you might as well slam your b_ner in a car door....just my $.02

Just blew snot all over the keyboard....good one!

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
I was referring to the remanned cranks from Skidoo. Any idea what parts are new & what parts are reused?

everything but the porkchops...thats why "doing iy yourself" persay isnt worth it...I can replace everything but the rods for the same price as a freshy from doo...its a no brainer...as for slamming your weiner in the car door...thats your choice...LOL-BJ

Premium Features