• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Summit 800 2003 Chain Case Oil Change

D
Jan 27, 2009
Laramie, WY
Hey guys!
I just bought an 03 Summit 800 and I would like to change the case oil. What is the best way to do this and also what oil do you recommend using since I am not sure of what the previous owner used? Thanks for all your input.

R

rhino

Nov 26, 2007
Greenwater WA
there is a small hole in the belly directly below the chain case. you can get an allen wrench up through it and loosen the drain plug. Let it run out into whatever you put under it. You might also want to take the case cover off once it's drained to inspect the chain and make sure the chain tensioner bolt is nice and tight. As far as lube goes you're going to get a hundred different suggestions on here. Use anything you want as long as it is synthetic to protect the seals.

M

mannix

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 4, 2008
Seconding the recommendation to take the chaincase cover off; on my 03 700, the allen-headed bolt that holds the chain-tensioner-roller in place has been loose each time I've changed the oil, despite using blue Loctite, blasting the hole and bolt with brake cleaner & retightening.

I use either Redline Shockproof gear oil or synthetic ATF, change it annually. No problems beyond that bolt coming loose. I don't bother with the allen drain screw on the bottom, I just take the case off and let it drain.

Iain

D
Jan 27, 2009
Laramie, WY
Thanks a lot. I was able to find everything that you guys had spoke about. When I took off the case cover everything looked good in there. I went ahead and sprayed it clean with brake parts cleaner and re-added 8oz of oil. It should work out great. Thanks again for your help!

O
Dec 2, 2007
Black Hills
Just a thought, next time you have that chaincase cover off, lay a straight edge across both gears and see if they are aligned, more than likely you need to shim behind one or the other, I have owned a lot of skidoos and I have yet to find one that the gears were perfectly aligned.

Just a thought, next time you have that chaincase cover off, lay a straight edge across both gears and see if they are aligned, more than likely you need to shim behind one or the other, I have owned a lot of skidoos and I have yet to find one that the gears were perfectly aligned.

I never thought about this....I'll look at mine since the chaincase is out of it now!

O
Dec 2, 2007
Black Hills
I never thought about this....I'll look at mine since the chaincase is out of it now!

Having the gears aligned obviously saves wear and tear on the gears and chain but it also reduces friction and rolling resistance. We have an old STX (583 F-chassis) I had to replace the chaincase because of an impact that cracked it, while I was at it I squared the chaincase with the chassis and squared the rear suspension with the chassis and the drive axle with the chaincase. Now with the track suspended and the engine at idle the track rotates at about 15 mph, massive reduction in friction. That little sled will run with any 700 and most 800's and the motor is stock, it simply rolls with very little resistance and will run over 100 mph on hardpack at 6000 ft altitude.

J

JustinB

Dec 21, 2008
Seconding the recommendation to take the chaincase cover off; on my 03 700, the allen-headed bolt that holds the chain-tensioner-roller in place has been loose each time I've changed the oil, despite using blue Loctite, blasting the hole and bolt with brake cleaner & retightening.

I use either Redline Shockproof gear oil or synthetic ATF, change it annually. No problems beyond that bolt coming loose. I don't bother with the allen drain screw on the bottom, I just take the case off and let it drain.

Iain
This is how I do it I just put yamalube in my case today cause I have tonz of it from my mx racing days and before that I used polaris cause thats what my grandpa had in his garage :D As for the gears I wish i would have read this thread about 20 minuets ago.:mad: good hint

R
Nov 9, 2008
SE IDAHO

Can I shim the top gear, and if I do will it matter if the gear is sticking out away from spline shaft a little? Thanks for the tip by the way... the top sprocket in my chaincase sits in about 1/8"-1/4" than the bottom.

O
Dec 2, 2007
Black Hills
Can I shim the top gear, and if I do will it matter if the gear is sticking out away from spline shaft a little? Thanks for the tip by the way... the top sprocket in my chaincase sits in about 1/8"-1/4" than the bottom.

If there is a spacer behind the bottum sprocket I would look for a thinner one to replace it if possible to get things aligned. When you shim that top sprocket out you take a chance of something hitting the chaincase cover, otherwise go ahead and shim the top sprocket and be sure to check for clearance when you put the cover on. I find my shims at hardware stores or an auto parts store, you can use various combinations of thin and thick washers (shims) to get what you need.

Last edited:
Premium Features