• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fan cooled vs liquid cooled??

G

Gold5th

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
So my first sled was an 81 citation 400 fan cooled, but it was slow..

My newer sleds are 97 and 2003 liquid cooled 700s.

I'm looking at replacing the 97 with something tamer for the wife, a 2 up touring sled, I found one it's a "POLARIS TRAIL TOURING, 1998" it has a 500 fan cooled in it.

Other than being potentially lighter due to no cooling system really what is the difference, pros/cons between fan and liquid cooled?

If it makes a difference it'll mainly be used field/trail/ditch banging no mountains, no really really big hills either.

Thanks

*edit* on a side note the one I found has 3750 miles.. should I look at it or no?

Last edited:
B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
Fan

Generally speaking fan cooled motors are lower HP due to several issues. Cooling being one of the biggest. Fan cooled motors usually have looser piston fit so the pistons won't be as apt to seize when cooling isn't adequate. Looser fit means lower HP. Also that cooling limits what mods you can do. Up side as you said is weight.

The 500 that you are looking at is a good motor. It's the next generation of the 440 fan and they were pretty bullet proof. They call it a 500 but I think it's actually a 488 cc. Later on they put case reeds in them to get better fuel management and more power.

With the advent of digital ignition the fans have become less popular. Fuel economy and performance on the 600 liquid have made it a more popular choice. The liquid is able to handle high temps better. If she is a good rider then she may not be happy with the fan cooled. If she doesn't ride too often and upper body strength is an issue then the fan may be best.

A fan with that many miles will need pistons soon. The loose piston fit has a tendenacy to break piston skirts when they get in that milage range. No big deal, just put pistons in it and it should be good for a long time.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
With anything with that kind of miles, the primary should be very closely looked at. If the weight bushings weren't replaced, the weights can destroy the clutch spider.

G

Gold5th

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Ahh good to know. She's only riden once I think, and she crashed the ProX into a tree at low speed and flipped it at low speed (under 15mph). She rode the RMK on the way home, and found it much more stable :p

I ride hard and would use it to give my neighbours kids rides.. I took them out last year on the RMK, but they're getting too big to sit between me and the handle bars.

So I'm thinking I should hold out for a liquid cooled.. there's a 2001 or 2003 Skidoo trail for sale for only a little more with a fresh rebuild :p

Thanks again.

S
Dec 1, 2007
Norther Utah (Utard)
I would opt for one of the M5's or an M6 from arctic cat, cool/modern looking and very low cost. I think they were liquid but the chasis is stable and easy to handle. No kidding - with women they want pretty.. yes they want pretty and they want it to be theirs and have ownersip in her eyes. if she likes the way it looks she wil be much happier and go more often. believe me take her around and let her look at sleds and she will prove it to you.

on the up side you'll also have a very decent backup sled!!!! mine is my wifes M7!!!

G

Gold5th

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Honestly.. I'll probably ride the backup sle dmore than her as sometimes I get out riding almost every night, where as her I might get out on the weekends, and I can guarentee that the neighbours kids will want to go.

She's not a huge stickler on looks, as long as it's not butt ugly, or some nasty color.

The m5's m6's look like single person sleds, I want a 2 up.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Honestly.. I'll probably ride the backup sle dmore than her as sometimes I get out riding almost every night, where as her I might get out on the weekends, and I can guarentee that the neighbours kids will want to go.

She's not a huge stickler on looks, as long as it's not butt ugly, or some nasty color.

The m5's m6's look like single person sleds, I want a 2 up.

m5 ans m6 are single sleds. Want kind of riding do you do?

Most people here go off trail.

G

Gold5th

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
I have my ProX for playing, I'm a flat Lander, never been to the mountains, I do a lot of high speed ditch banging getting air giving cars a show :p

I want a 2 up trail sled as they're typically "slower" and fairly stable (compared to the Pro X) for the wife to learn on, she crashed the prox once and flipped it once on her first ride.. and we were on a trail.. lucky me and her she was going slow (about 10-15mph each time) plus I take the neighbours kids out and they're getting to big to sit in front of me on the RMK, hense the 2 up.

She likes the RMK for the ride (she rode it home after she flipped the ProX), she finds it "stable", and you actually have to want to push the throttle before it'll go, where as the ProX you sneeze and you're WOT. It's just too loud and asking on here and calling around locally it's gonna cost me more than I want to put into that sled to make it quiet.

Premium Features