• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Timbersled drop bracket holes ?

sledheadd

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
too far from mountains Alberta Canada
I read somewhere on here that there are new recommended mount points for the rear skid in the drop brackets to help keep front end down. I did a search and I also called Allen at timbersled but they must be closed for today. Planning on doing it this evening. Can someone help me out please.
Thank you in advance.

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
for the fx nytro mtx, the measurements from bud at timbersled are 31 and 5/8" from center of front mount hole to drop bracket, and 1 and 1/4" up from the center of the current hole in the drop bracket. it is supposed to relieve some ski pressure and help handling. he also said you may need to tighten the limiter strap a hole or two.

i will be doing this very soon as well. ski

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
Thanks skidooboy that is what I needed.

ummm prior to hacking, would highly suggest contacting Allen or Bud...I am pretty sure that you are both looking for differnt things...

the first question was about (or atleast I understood) keeping the front end down...which inherently means more ski pressure...and skidooboy is wanting less, and more stability in cornering and trail presence...

generally speaking lowering the mount point thus lowering the rear of the sled will make it more stable (less tippy), but more prone to wheelie etc. and generally speaking the higher the back of the sled, the more ski pressure (not always the case) and the more tippy and less apt to wheelie...

again DISCLAIMER....all above is generalities...and dependent upon shocks etc. etc. etc. etc.

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
i hear what you are screamin MT. there isnt much meat on the bottom of the drop brackets for the nytro so... to do what you are saying, our original poster may have to relocate the front mount hole for what he needs to accomplish.

and yes you are right, there is no substitute for calling bud or allen and getting the question answered from the guys who make them. the only update i had heard of for the nytro was my original response.

i did also order a set of "trail" spindles for the nytro from timbersled. hoping this makes the difference in tracking on the trail for me. otherwise this is the last cash i will spend to make the sled like i want it to ride. and then.... someone will be getting one hell of a deal on an 08 decked out to the max (minus boost) nytro. ski

SAWYER

Lifetime Membership
Jan 12, 2006
Kingston Idaho
I moved mine. it helped the wheely deal a little, not completely but it helped, here's a pic

DSCN4867.jpg

M
Jan 3, 2008
alberta
i have the same set up and when u take the stock drop brackets off put the timbersled bracket in the same place should be three holes that line up then u drill the rest and i run 95psi front shock and 135 rear hope this helps :D

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
if running Mtn Tamer...are you guys shimming it at all? I just put the 1/2" shim in, will be trying it this weekend...

WingNutRacing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2000
Lolo, MT
mtn tamer???

Hey fellas. I was wondering if any of you guys are having trouble with your Mtn Tamer bottoming out???

I have the same setup as Sawyer but haven't moved the drop bracket holes.
I'm 190lbs,,
I'm runnin 90 psi in the front and 145psi in the rear, did some really hard riding through some rough climbs and it bottomed a few times, it seems soft??? Any of you guys notice this??

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
Hey fellas. I was wondering if any of you guys are having trouble with your Mtn Tamer bottoming out???

I'm 190lbs,,
I'm runnin 90 psi in the front and 145psi in the rear, did some really hard riding through some rough climbs and it bottomed a few times, it seems soft??? Any of you guys notice this??

I am heavier than you, with same shock PSI (rear) and never bottom out...try the zip tie trick, it is a great way to see where you are...itr is really easy with air shocks to think you are bottoming out, when you are not really, it is hitting compression of air...

IMG_3194Large.jpg

Thistledoo

Lifetime Membership

I'm 190lbs,,

I weigh about the same as you....I have the heavier valving in my rear shock...that helped alot but i have been running 175psi and it works alot better.

M

modsledr

Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
I dont have the stiffer valving like Thistledoo, but I did get a mountain bike pump that will go up to 300psi. http://www.amazon.com/Topeak-Pocket-Shock-Bike-Pump/dp/B000FIAUN4 ...much better quality than the POS Fox pump.

I run 200psi AT ALTITUDE and it made a HUGE difference.

Remember to check the pressure at altitude...the diff from my shop (500 ft) to elevation (4000 ft was 30 lbs).

As for the original post, I talked to Budd at TS and he recommended the new rear drop bracked location for a couple of reasons...the primary reason being better handling when boondocking due to less ski pressure and a more level ride.

Generally speaking, raising the skids rear mount point (lowering the rear of the tunnel) will reduce ski pressure, but also will be more prone to wheelie.

If you make the change and dont like it, easy enough to change it back.

WingNutRacing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2000
Lolo, MT
psi in rear shock?

200 psi? What can the shock handle as far as psi, I guess i never thought about going higher than 150 because of the pump???

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
sawyer, how far did you move yours? looks a little more than an inch and a quarter up???

what measurements did you go with and where did you get your info from?

enquiring minds? ski

Premium Features