• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

RIP Animal....for those who still remember

Sunridge Sledhead

Lifetime Membership
Apr 17, 2002
Star Valley, Wyoming
7 years ago today, we lost a good man, a friend to anyone he knew. He loved this place (Snowest). I am a much better person for having known him as a good friend.

Time eases the intensity of the tragedy and pain of the loss, but does not bring him back home. Everyone please ride safely! I realize most of you may think, "that won't happen to us!"....I did too!

RIP Animal

Dave Johnson
8/23/1962 - 1/8/2005

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
Kim me too! Well said as always.

Rode yesterday and saw more slide activity than I ever have in my entire life of riding. Thought a lot about Dave all day and almost busted out the story because I thought our group was being slightly less than diligent. Nothing belligerent but this wasn't even remotely stay off the scary stuff activity this WAS ANYTHING CAN GO SNOW! I error on the side of conservative and also didn't want to ruin the fun of the group's ride so I was semi quiet. A major mistake was getting ready to be made and I was about to put my foot down but someone else told a "death" slide story and the message sunk in. So I didn't have too. IT IS JUST NOT WORTH IT! Losing Dave and some others that I have not known nearly as well shows me that.

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
WOW, its been that long....how time goes by. I wasn't fortuneate enough to meet or know Dave but I remember when he died and the outpouring of love to his family on snowest, must have been one heck of a guy...

Left an impression on me and I didn't know him, and it was after he died. RIP

Ride safely folks.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I had just become a member here when Dave died, didnt know him either, but do remember all the comotion in the previous weeks as the big ride was getting ready to happen, didnt matter who you were or how far away you lived..Dave wanted the entire forum to show up at his place to ride..then the members(mainly his close friends) standing up on here right after and in the years since to help Daves family...tear jerking good and has made me a better person...Thank you guys for sharing Dave with us...

Sunridge Sledhead

Lifetime Membership
Apr 17, 2002
Star Valley, Wyoming
Dave was a guy who shared of himself with almost everyone he met. He was hilarious, very genuine, and willing to give the shirt off his back to anyone in an instant. As often happens, he became larger than life in his death. He had a gigantic heart, was a true friend, and had many great traits that touched a lot of us, even many who never met him.

My life is better because of Dave's friendship! Equally, my life was touched by a lot of amazing people from this forum, after his death. I can likely name 200-300+ who donated to his family, and have stepped up in some amazing ways over the years, some of whom still remain anonymous. Dave's story is part of this forum, and maybe somewhat legendary. The story of all of you stepping up, from all over the U.S. and Canada, to give tens of thousands of dollars to his widow and 3 beautiful daughters, is part of what is, and was, good about this place...and this world! Thank you all...as you know who you are!

E

Extreme-One

Nov 26, 2007
Meridian, ID
Thanks for posting this up Kim... A group of us went for a RZR ride and it hit me about half way through the ride to what day it is. I think about that day all the time. Still can't believe it was 7 years ago. RIP Dave.

R

Rock Star

Mar 29, 2008
Park City, Utah
not much makes me teary eyed. This still does. as does the fact that what we witnessed here on Snowest from so many total strangers was a sort of giving worthy of Dave. Like SS said, donations and concern from 3 different countries, about 30 states from coast to coast including the deep south... it wAS humbling. He was a man that gave of himself in such an unselfish way. It was his time and his heart that he gave so much of. The week after he passed on, we heard from so many people that told us of his late night one on one computer chats.. with total strangers. About health and work and anything. He would sit in his office or garage and just reach out to people.. and we saw them reach back. He'd be so proud of his legacy. I am honored to have known him and to still count his girls among my friends. I learned a lot about life and people that day and the days that followed. I made friends to last a life time and saw kindness from strangers that changed me forever. My heart goes out to all of you who knew and loved him. Especially those who shared his final day with him. He was blessed to have you there. I don't mean to ramble but... It's hard to measure the changes we made in our lives and in our riding because of dave's loss. No doubt his passing saved other lives. F-Bomb said it so well. It raised a consiousness that still affects our thoughts. That is amazing, the silver lining. I miss Dave. I love the friends I have solely because of him. Thanks for listening. God Bless you Dave. Be an Animal!

E
Jul 9, 2002
Omak, WA
I donated $100 and got an abs backpack shortly after. All my riding buddies thought I was crazy for spending $800 on a backpack. I told them when an avy broke, they would gladly pay $8k to have one on their back if they didn't have one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I can't believe that was 2005.

Dave was a GREAT guy. He would do anything for anyone!!!!

Hopefully he's rocking the NMFH in endless powder as we speak!!!

C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
I love that every year I get heart felt texts from my "Animal Friends". It always hits the heart, makes those stupid tear ducts act up... but it is becoming a welcome thing as it comes from love too. That was incredible day that has lasted years in many of our lives....

Dave had many fabulous attributes, but his "all is welcome" attitude is something I strive to keep alive in my life. Dave made everyone so welcome..

Grown men felt comfy in the kitchen..

kimrussinkitchen.jpg

and curled up in pink blankies...
tiredcrew.jpg

M
Nov 26, 2007
That day is well remembered and it was close to a month after my friend and I about lost it all in a major Avalanche the same weekend 4 others died in Utah. (04-05 season was terrible for avys). I give huge props to all of Dave's friends for keeping this alive. That season put in prospective how short a ride you can have if your not prepared. That same threat that has taken friends throughout the past few years is very much still there and this year will be interesting. GO Prepared and if it really don't feel right.....then it probably isn't. I hope to see this thread on snowest 20 years from now. rip ANIMAL

Last edited:

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Animal's resting place is about 2 blocks from my house... I stop by and pay my respects every once in a while. Wish he was still with us, I'd rather be visiting his house.

sled_guy

Premium Features