• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

building custom running boards, tell me what you think of my idea.

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
I'm tired of my feet missing the narrow running boards on my sled when I move about on my sled, and the snow build up is also a pain. So I came up with this idea. I would chop off all but an inch or two of the running boards, and build my own out of 3/4 inch tubeing. Here's a few pics, I put together in paint. I'm open to all your thoughts and ideas to help make it better. The sled is a 2000 600/700ves xcsp 136. I know there is a guy on here who has done this to all of his sleds. But I don't know his user name. I have a thread in General asking about him incase you might know who he is. Here's the pics.

new running boards (paint) smaller.JPG New running boards view 2.JPG

H

HPJUNKIE

Nov 5, 2003
If you have time,materials & welder + talent, will work great. First saw the concept applied over 10yrs ago on a couple of mods in the Pine Pass, BC. Good luck & keep us posted!

Look out though! I built a tunnel for my sled over the summer. Used sign alum. to build the sides of the tunnel and 6 series for the running boards, they had a kick up in them, about a foot from the back, and one row of smash rivets, and I have been breaking off the smash rivets! The pulling away pops the back of them off, fix: I ended up replacing the 3 that were popping off with stainless machine screws. Oh, by the way, once you go wide, you never go back! Well worth the time.

F

freak58trio

Nov 26, 2007
Sumner,Washington
Kurt at Fasttrax has a tubular stile running board kit for most sled's and is rather reasonable priced and you can install yourself or have them do it .:D

L
Nov 26, 2007
Grand Forks BC Canada
This works and is lighter

Runningboard.jpg

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
Wow, that looks pretty nice!, But, I now have a whole new plan. Going to be building this. I'll explane the idea later, gota go to work now.

custom sled, running boards 4 smaller.JPG

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
OK so what the guy who owns he sld in the pi did is he cut off the outside roll edge, cut out a piece of aluminun that would widen the running board by two inches, riveted that under the running board, then riveted snow eliminators on top of that, (in this pic he hadn't cut out the holes by the snow eliminators yet), then reattach the roll edge. I'm not sure yet how he did that, but I'll find out. This may not work as good as some I have seen on here, but it's a lot less cutting and should end up stronger than it is now, if I were to do with my first idea, it might not end up working right, then I'd end up with a junked tunnle. I'm just liking the simplicity of this idea, and the lack of welding/fabing.

S

Snowstar

Aug 22, 2006
Ogden Ut.
I make a kit that does the same exact thing. Snow eliminator design that widens the foot board area. PM me for price and info.

boone

Premium Member
May 27, 2007
Crazytown!!
I made these myself from scratch. They keep the same front width and widen the back out two inches. The design is similar to the snow eliminators but the traction goes all the way to the back and the front is ported to let snow fall through. I also cut individual flaps from 1/16" lexan to put on the bottom side of the holes keep snow from spraying up when in deep powder. They are bolted on the front side of the holes to allow snow to be pushed through.

Anyone wanting help or more info, PM me for my phone number.

Good Luck !! Let me know how it turns out.

Boone

100_0904.jpg

100_0905.jpg

Premium Features