• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

So many UNUSED spare belts on my Gen 4 850s

S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom
Blew my first belt at about 600 miles. First belt I ever blew in 15 plus years snowmobiling. This is my First year on a ski doo. I’m happy with 600 miles but Ski Doo definitely has a problem with clutching/belts. I understand not everyone has blown a belt but enough people have to convince me that it’s a real issue. The clutches run way to hot. Ski doo is aware of the problem which is why they keep doing updates every year. Even if you had 20 sleds that never blew a belt the sample size is to small relative to the total number of 850s to be a reliable indicator of durability.

Andystoy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2016
Good to hear your sleds run well Christopher and you now have enough spare belts for several more years of riding. Sounds like you enjoyed the snow in Canada.
As far as sample size it would be interesting to know how many owners spend time on the internet? It appears that the number of problems may be distorted by multiple posts on different forums. Jmo

D
Mar 13, 2014
I own 2 850, never replaced a belt. My buddy that owns a dealership has a 3 850 and he rides really hard. He had one start to wear out and replaced it but it is still usable.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
The 531 belt is to Long and narrow I’m noticing I’m running out of adjustment in the secondary. After 300 miles on the belt

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Good to hear your sleds run well Christopher and you now have enough spare belts for several more years of riding. Sounds like you enjoyed the snow in Canada.
As far as sample size it would be interesting to know how many owners spend time on the internet? It appears that the number of problems may be distorted by multiple posts on different forums. Jmo
This has always been my personal experience on the Internet.
Those with issues COMPLAIN ABOUT THEM LOUDLY and REPEATEDLY.

And that is NOT to say that there isn't a legit issue here for some riders!!
I have NO DOUBT whatsoever that there is a group of 850 riders that are seeing this issue..

But I do think it is safe to say they are the Highly Vocal Minority among the entire user base.

If the problem wasn't for real then I seriously doubt that BRP would be making ANY structural changes to the clutches, and clearly they are..

I am just happy that it doesn't seem to be effecting "me" or "my" sleds for whatever reason.

As for Canada.
HOLY COW, what an AWESOME WEEK of riding that was!!!!!!!!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I own 2 850, never replaced a belt. My buddy that owns a dealership has a 3 850 and he rides really hard. He had one start to wear out and replaced it but it is still usable.

I do need to go down into the garage and open up both of my 850s and check the belts and clean the sheaves before I take them to Island Park tomorrow. Will be interesting to see if there is any visible signs of wear or tear on them following the week of riding in Canada.

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
800 miles on my 17 and I just looked at my belt for the first time. I adjusted the deflection on it for the first time. I had an 09 that I couldn't keep a belt on it and I feel bad for anyone that has that trouble

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
65020c30339fbafa0df4d05de5c9c448.jpg

700 Miles original belt
1 front bumper
1 rear bumper
1 back-up switch
2 intake vents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rmk all the way

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Dayton Wa
My sled was the turbo on the trip, I had 853 miles last year on a belt and replaced it this fall when installing the turbo and now have 700 boosted miles. I did install the slp vents before the trip and when snow would cover the top vent it was always be slush after being parked for a few minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M
Nov 26, 2007
Near a city in WA.
Im at 750 miles on original belt and it still looks new. Had 800 miles on my 17 on the original belt also.Not a single issue with either sled. I put the SLPpipe and can on this one and it runs really well. Im happy and its so much fun to ride????

J

jvb

Nov 26, 2007
2017 80 miles

2018 approx 100 miles

strange coincidence I guess. No problems here or I just get the lucky ones.

022332C8-40DE-48F5-BB55-5CCE4A77A3BC.jpg 7FD665E2-3E0A-4F76-9BF3-635BDF9941BE.jpg

Last edited:
F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
400 miles and no belts on G4.. Thought it was set up well, till I took heat gun to it to find how hot it really was.. 230f

The stock clutching calibrations are so bad from doo on the G4 , wonder why your stock tack max recall is 8400 each time, and why your buddy's t3 with 10 hp less seams to be the guy that always gets the high mark you can't get too!!

Maybe if sleds is only running 80 percent of its capacity is why belts are lasting so well.. Take a look at your lower secondary, all that rubber down low on sheives is slippage, so sled will sound much stronger than its actual potential

Most guys are happy with good belt life but don't see the other side of the scale, try more pin weight, stiffer secondary spring, and a 45plus helix to drop temps and get a lot more hp to the snow.. Report back on results, you might like it:eyebrows:

2 years of riding my 850 like I stole and only pulled a cord on one belt in over a 1000 mountain miles where my avg ride for a tank of gas is well under 50! I take pride in going where most people won't, never babied either, and I come home with a permagrin every ride. Absolutely:peace: in love with my 850!!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
2 years of riding my 850 like I stole and only pulled a cord on one belt in over a 1000 mountain miles where my avg ride for a tank of gas is well under 50! I take pride in going where most people won't, never babied either, and I come home with a permagrin every ride. Absolutely:peace: in love with my 850!!
Sure do wish we could figure out why some have no issues and others have unending issues..

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Significant numbers??

I agree with the statement that most people on their Gen-4 850's are not having major belt issues..

What I will say, with confidence, is that there are a SIGNIFICANT NUMBER of G4-850 owners that ARE having belt issues and that some of those are severe issues.

The recent Ski-Doo upgrades in 2018 and again with even newer improvements on the 2019 G4-850's is an indication that those numbers are significant enough... And, by their actions, showing that this is a problem they are aware of.

Good on them for recognizing the issue..

For those people that have documented severe belt issues... and loss of enjoyment of their sled...SkiDoo/BRP should, in good faith, be stepping up to the plate to help get these people back on the snow... Especially if it is indeed just a very small percentage as they claim.... do the right thing.

<iframe width="900" height="506" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lhL7HYKyG4k" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Premium Features