• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

rekluse or no rekluse

S

s.back

Jan 29, 2017
rohnert park, ca.
what are your thoughts on the recluse for the the snow. is it good are not worth having in the bike. I already have the kit in the bike but I was thinking of taking it out due to the amount of maintenance required.

S

s.back

Jan 29, 2017
rohnert park, ca.
the bike is a 16 yz450f. I have only rode it maybe 6 times and I didn't like the bike for the type of riding I do so its been sitting in my garage. seemed like after each ride the clutch was slipping to much and the free play gain was out of adjustment. on my yz 250 2st I don't have this problem, clutch usually last about 3 to 4 rides before needing adjustment. seems like the snow might be easier on the clutch due to the fact that your always wide open and the clutch is fully locked.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
I am plenty competent with the wheels on and manual clutch. I would not ride a snow bike without one. Radius x, get it!

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I am plenty competent with the wheels on and manual clutch. I would not ride a snow bike without one. Radius x, get it!
Plus 1 on the radius x... Have it on my yz250x ... 35 hours on the bike zero adjustment... And man it locks up....

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

scottbilt95

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
golden, colorado
scottbiltracing.us
Rekluse

the bike is a 16 yz450f. I have only rode it maybe 6 times and I didn't like the bike for the type of riding I do so its been sitting in my garage. seemed like after each ride the clutch was slipping to much and the free play gain was out of adjustment. on my yz 250 2st I don't have this problem, clutch usually last about 3 to 4 rides before needing adjustment. seems like the snow might be easier on the clutch due to the fact that your always wide open and the clutch is fully locked.

there may be another issue on your setup; improper installation, friction plate issue? we have had a CORE EXP on our shop 2014 YZ450F for 2 years (used on both both summer and winter setups) and have to adjust freeplay about 2-3 times a year. here is what we like about the product:

-no engine stalling (not a big deal until your engine stalls at the worst possible time. PITA x2 if you have to kickstart.)
-easier to trailer/load depending what you're putting it in (re-experienced this recently when loading our new shop bike/project. walking up a fairly steep ramp next to the bike while feathering the clutch requires talent...)
-allows you to stop going uphill and keep all your fingers on the grips (not being the tallest guy on the planet, when this situation happens, i can use throttle control as a brake.

do you need one to ride? no. can it make the experience better? for some. it's another one of those aftermarket products like many out there including footpegs, handguards, risers, suspension upgrades, turbos, that interest some but not others but none of these are mandatory. we sell them so i'm going to be a bit biased but i can tell you (to date) no one has asked for their money back. :cool:

jeff

Last edited:
T
Nov 1, 2011
Kingston, Idaho
I am 50/50 on the Rekluse. My last bike was a 2006 YZ450 and on the dirt, I wouldn't have kept it without the Rekluse. In north Idaho all of the trails near me are single track and I spent a lot of time overheating and re-starting. After adding that clutch, it became a completely different bike. I loved it.

Now, on the snow, I believe that the track has so much of a flywheel effect, and the track kits are geared down enough that stalling isn't really a problem. At least not in my experience. My current bike is a WR450 so my first gear is low enough that I can let the clutch out and walk next to the bike at an idle (with track on) so even in the hairiest situations, I don't see the benefit to the Rekluse in my case.

So to sum up, I believe that the Rekluse is a great product for dirt riding, but in my opinion is not necessary for snow.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Sounds like you have something else going on. A stock YZ clutch is pretty dang tough and will take some serious work before it needs adjustments. THey will obviously heat soak and fade some if your abusing it like nuts on single track but ive put 100+ hours on stock clutches in snow and dirt without issues.

As for rekluse on snow, no need unless you got money burning a hole in your pocket. The money is better spent on many other things first on a bike setup that will far increase your enjoyment.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Dirt or snow 4 stroke recluse 2 stroke is fine without.

My 2 cents worth.

Just ride a 4 stroe snowbike with recluse for a day and

the next day jump on one without , it can be done without

for sure but is so much nicer with the recluse.

V
Sep 14, 2017
Kent, Washington
I'll chime in here too and say your rekluse isn't setup right. Every person I have talked to that has had the problem of burning discs, was because they had the rekluse too loose from the get go and it was always slipping. Make sure it's tight enough. It should bite pretty hard with hardly any throttle. I've had the expo 2.0 in my bike for 5 years. I've not once had to adjust it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
It's not a set up issue it's a rider issue. Most of my riding on dirt is in some extreme trails.

Don't know I have ran all types of extreme stuff and the only thing the does not break is the Rekluse..... Including my body... Here there is a 7 mile trail that will take 4 hours still no adjustment.... but this is on a yz250 my friends race the yz450f.... They go through a 13 race desert racing with min adjustment... Keep in mind the recommended set up in the instructions is rarely the right way to set it up for us... It has to be tuned to your riding style....

Last edited:
S

s.back

Jan 29, 2017
rohnert park, ca.
We seem to be getting a little off topic. I'm thinking I will leave it in and see how it works out for me. Sounds like some like it and some dont.

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
Seems like a no brainer to me but I'm back on a bike for the first time in 20+ years so I could use all the help I can get

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
We seem to be getting a little off topic. I'm thinking I will leave it in and see how it works out for me. Sounds like some like it and some dont.
For sure it is an either like it or not... The more track you like the less you like it to me...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

V
Sep 14, 2017
Kent, Washington
Back on topic, I have a rekluse on my woods / race bike and love it. But when I went to demo ride the timbersled it didn't have a rekluse on it and I still really enjoyed riding it. So I'm at least going to give it a college a try without a rekluse and see how the first half the season goes.

Edit: And if you already have a rekluse I don't see any reason at all why you'd want to take it out, as long as you have it set up correctly as mentioned above.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

SuperchargedWS6

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2010
I find you should not have a rekluse as a beginner. It becomes a crutch and you dont develop proper clutch control.

when you get good with the clutch, it can enhance your experience in certain situations.

I've ran a rekluse on my last two bikes. on dirt in very technical areas I habe my bike reving and feather the clutch like a normal bike. so there are situations where using the clutch is better.

I like it for ease of loading and as stated earlier, allows you to have your hands fully on the bars when you want to.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Call Rekluse tech support and explain what your setup is. More than likely you will want heavy wedges for snow application. Definitely no slippage or it will smoke it rather quickly!

Premium Features