• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How are the 850 starting in cold temps ?

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
I'm just wondering how the 850 are starting in cold temperatures either with manual stater or with the E stater ?

My 800 Etec is tough to start at below minus 25 celsius ,

if i try the pull cord its so stiff i can barely turn it over , it does loosen up some but still hard to fire it up

If i try the E start first it barely turns over , yes the battery is new and load checked serviceable .

my method is to use manual first and then the E start but its still an ordeal to fire it up .

My previous Carb models with choke system were way easier to fire up in the extreme cold

How are the 850's firing up better or worse than the 800's

Andystoy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2016
How are the 850 starting in cold temps ? Reply to Thread

My last manual start was a 2008 ETEC and it would usually start on the second pull, my first pull would be slower so as not to break the rope.

Both my 2014 XM and my 2017 850 are E start with no pull start and both started with the first bump of the starter. I have not ridden at temps lower than -25 C with either machine.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
I've used the pull rope on three different 850s when it was -25, -30 below F. Half way on the rope started no problem. Hardly any different than in the heated shop as far as effort to pull the rope. Skidoo really honed their starting system on the 850.

My old Etecs at those temp would at min have been 5-8 pulls if it started at all. Some have been 30 min of non stop cranking....

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Techhead on Dootalk said that Doo made some changes to the 850s that make them easier to start. Here's what he posted:

Better for sure no grease in bearings new low drag stator and new rewind all aimed at cold start ability.

Premium Features