• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 - why pick the freeride?

L

logan1080

Feb 12, 2013
So just looking at the 2018 summit vs freeride right now. With the freeride available with the narrower ski stance this peaked my interest until I seen that it's 24 lbs heavier. I'd rather just add rail bracing and a grip and rip kit to a summit and still be at least 20 lbs lighter. And for me, 20+ pounds for more adjustable suspension isn't worth it. I'd rather put better suspension on a summit to save the weight. It will cost a bit more that way yes, but saving weight is important. Where is the rest of the added weight in the freeride? Why choose freeride over summit after considering the points I just mentioned?

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Freeride, is braced in a few areas on the tunnel, the rails, and heavier shock package. That accounts for the 24lbs increase.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
So it's available both 36" and what 40"? Those shocks anre at most a pound more each. The bracing is thin sheet aluminum that can't be even 5lbs, and the wider stance is maybe 3lbs more. I've over estimated all those items and that's 12lbs, where is the rest coming from. Had a Freeride 154 in 2013, like the wider stance even for tree riding, shocks are mediocre at best and the adjutant knows are the widest part of the whole sled so they are easy to break off. And they don't sell the part to replace it, only the whole Shock so when I snapped mine off I replaced with Fox shocks which worked a lot better. Looks like the exact same shocks 4 years later.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Says the freeride ski stance is 38-40. I've riden my 17' 850 summit in the wide stance, no like as much as the narrow. Just priced a 18' free ride 165x3 with shot, $16,049!
Summit X 165x3 with shot, $14,799!
Shat, these things are getting expensive!!

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
So it's available both 36" and what 40"? Those shocks anre at most a pound more each. The bracing is thin sheet aluminum that can't be even 5lbs, and the wider stance is maybe 3lbs more. I've over estimated all those items and that's 12lbs, where is the rest coming from. Had a Freeride 154 in 2013, like the wider stance even for tree riding, shocks are mediocre at best and the adjutant knows are the widest part of the whole sled so they are easy to break off. And they don't sell the part to replace it, only the whole Shock so when I snapped mine off I replaced with Fox shocks which worked a lot better. Looks like the exact same shocks 4 years later.

Sorry the shocks and rail braces are 25 pounds, there is nothing else on the free ride that is different when u get the narrow front end, previous free rides were 35-40 pounds more, you might not believe it but this is the fact.

F
Sorry the shocks and rail braces are 25 pounds, there is nothing else on the free ride that is different when u get the narrow front end, previous free rides were 35-40 pounds more, you might not believe it but this is the fact.

Dave,

I was wondering if you would be able to give us some more info on the Free Ride? If you did a video of it I must have missed it but I was wondering if you were able to ride it and compare it to the Regular Summit X. If you did can you even notice the extra 25 lbs. difference between the two?

Thanks

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
Dave,

I was wondering if you would be able to give us some more info on the Free Ride? If you did a video of it I must have missed it but I was wondering if you were able to ride it and compare it to the Regular Summit X. If you did can you even notice the extra 25 lbs. difference between the two?

Thanks

Rode it for a short while. I will have one only cause I want something different from my summit x 175. To answer your question, no you wont, guys always say they will notice the 20 pound e-start, really you wont, if someone witched out my earth x battery, I would not know, do you feel your gas tank going empty? That is 60 pounds, guys say they do, funny thing is when it empties your skid usually is filling up with snow, the guys that feel this stuff are feeling it in their minds. The freeride is a wicked sled and a good price for the shock package, many guys say they would rather have X brand instead, well then the best option for them is to get the summit and upgrade, but they will pay more to do so, which is fine as they get what they want. If I had to buy a sled tomorrow, and only one, it would be the 2018 summit x 175.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Why not buy a Summit in the length that you want and just buy shocks and even a narrower kit? If the weight of the Freeride is bothering you, it seems this would be a good avenue. This way you can choose Fox, Zbroz, Elka, Raptor, etc as well as a front end kit. The price difference between the Freeride and the Summit would probably make it a wash after selling the stock components.

The new 2018 Summit is reinforced around the bulk head right? Or is this just for the Freeride?

Too often I saw someone start with a Freeride or Assault and essentially just turn it into a mountain sled.

F
Why not buy a Summit in the length that you want and just buy shocks and even a narrower kit? If the weight of the Freeride is bothering you, it seems this would be a good avenue. This way you can choose Fox, Zbroz, Elka, Raptor, etc as well as a front end kit. The price difference between the Freeride and the Summit would probably make it a wash after selling the stock components.

The new 2018 Summit is reinforced around the bulk head right? Or is this just for the Freeride?

Too often I saw someone start with a Freeride or Assault and essentially just turn it into a mountain sled.

You can get the 2018 Freeride in a 36" width, which is the same as the Summit. So it will not need a narrowing kit to make it a "Mountain sled". It may be 20 lbs heavier but what's the difference if someone were to add estart to their sled if they don't get the Shot setup. There's 20 lbs right there. I think you guys will be surprised at how many more Freerides you see on the Hill next year.

Last edited:

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
What "beefs" up the Freeride? Are the rails as beefy as the Ice Age Bomber Rails? Does the front end have beefier bracing? Are the bumpers the heavy duty ones?

...I ask, because my thought now is to buy a SP, (14,050) put the Bomber Rails on, (450) Elka Shocks from Toms (1200), Grip.and Rip braces (250?), and Diamond S front Bumper (200). For 2kish, I've got a bulletproof sled that is valved correctly for my weight and style for tje same as a FreeRide (15,950)

...any logic to my thinking?

Ace

Last edited:

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Everyone says "buy shocks". I have bought shocks. A LOT over the last 4 years. When it comes down to it, get a Doo with rebuildable shocks and have someone (or do it yourself as I will) revalved and sprung. You would not believe the nightmares I have gone through over the last 4-5 years with aftermarket shocks. EVERY brand except Elka. (Never tried them.) Tried the others (ALL of them) at least once, and nobody tests, nobody tests for where and how we we ride here, and aftermarket shock companies keep selling product because their customers do not know the difference between a good shock and a bad one. My stock G4 suspension setup this year is better than the $2500 Fox setup I tried at the beginning of the year, and it cost me $150 total. And the problem is that all of the guys that spend a ton of money on Fox, Exit, Raptor don't speak up when their high end shocks don't work. So nothing changes. Seen it MANY times. They figure that if they spent $3000 then it must be good. NOT.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
What "beefs" up the Freeride? Are the rails as beefy as the Ice Age Bomber Rails? Does the front end have beefier bracing? Are the bumpers the heavy duty ones?

...I ask, because my thought now is to buy a SP, (14,050) put the Bomber Rails on, (450) Elka Shocks from Toms (1200), Grip.and Rip braces (250?), and Diamond S front Bumper (200). For 2kish, I've got a bulletproof sled that is valved correctly for my weight and style for tje same as a FreeRide (15,950)

...any logic to my thinking?

Ace

That is the smart way of doing things...for sure. However I think the boards on the x are worth the extra unfortunately. And the freeride will have the extruded boards not the stamped like sp.

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Everyone says "buy shocks". I have bought shocks. A LOT over the last 4 years. When it comes down to it, get a Doo with rebuildable shocks and have someone (or do it yourself as I will) revalved and sprung. You would not believe the nightmares I have gone through over the last 4-5 years with aftermarket shocks. EVERY brand except Elka. (Never tried them.) Tried the others (ALL of them) at least once, and nobody tests, nobody tests for where and how we we ride here, and aftermarket shock companies keep selling product because their customers do not know the difference between a good shock and a bad one. My stock G4 suspension setup this year is better than the $2500 Fox setup I tried at the beginning of the year, and it cost me $150 total. And the problem is that all of the guys that spend a ton of money on Fox, Exit, Raptor don't speak up when their high end shocks don't work. So nothing changes. Seen it MANY times. They figure that if they spent $3000 then it must be good. NOT.

Some great advice here.

H

hoov165x

Apr 12, 2009
Bend, OR

I have Raptors and they are outstanding. And I do mean outstanding! Much better than the KYBs. Old sno crosser and xc racer and I love to pound the moguls on the way up to the mountain. My vote is the SP and make it yours.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado

To each their own. We all weigh different weights, ride differently in different areas with sleds setup differently. I have used several aftermarket shocks and love the ability to fine tune the ride. This year I'm riding on Polaris stock piggyback shocks. Stock shocks are getting better but they are not there yet. I think the sled manufacturers are spec'ing shocks as light as possible to keep a low dry weight. Revalving is a great option too, I'm just not as familiar with the Doo shocks.

If I did a Doo, I think I'd get an SP and add shocks. But...you can't get that cool new blue/green combo!

Premium Features