• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Coolant bottle failure

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I know this was talked about a few months ago. Broke off the electrical holder on the back of my 850 while riding yesterday. Don't even remember hitting it. Was riding and suddenly hear this beeping, clear the snow from my gauge and my overheat warning is flashing. Temp was 195. It was a very, very deep day. Opened my side panel to find this, and a big mess. Coolant everywhere.

Stopped at the dealer to get a new bottle on the way home. They said if you have an electric start sled there is a warranty/recall on this. Skidoo puts on the plastic recoil handle holder in an effort to try and stiffen up the area.

I

Impatientforsnow

Nov 29, 2007
Gods Country
I know this was talked about a few months ago. Broke off the electrical holder on the back of my 850 while riding yesterday. Don't even remember hitting it. Was riding and suddenly hear this beeping, clear the snow from my gauge and my overheat warning is flashing. Temp was 195. It was a very, very deep day. Opened my side panel to find this, and a big mess. Coolant everywhere.

Stopped at the dealer to get a new bottle on the way home. They said if you have an electric start sled there is a warranty/recall on this. Skidoo puts on the plastic recoil handle holder in an effort to try and stiffen up the area.

the big question is, did they have them in stock?

rmk all the way

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Dayton Wa
For what it's worth the fix doo is offering isn't going to solve the problem. I have a pull start sled and broke my coolant bottle, but when mine broke it broke the tab the bolt goes through on the bottom and didn't leak antifreeze out. My dealer got it fixed under warranty without me asking so hopefully you have the same luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I agree, the doo fix won't prevent from happening. The doo fix is only for E-start sleds as well. I cut the electrical connector tab off the bottle and unbolted the bottle from the chaincase. I tucked the bottle more behind the chain case and zip tied through the bolt hole to hold in place. It still has some ability to move around, so a direct shot from my knee of anything else shouldn't brake it.

I should have done this earlier in the year when I this heard of this happening. Live and learn I guess.

T
Dec 11, 2007
Did this today but on the other side. I hit both my knees pretty good but harder on the left. Started hearing a whistle so I removed the clutch cover and found that I hit my knee hard enough to bend the aluminum on the clutch cover to the point it was rubbing on the secondary. Who knew a shovel handle could double as a hammer?

Checked the coolant bottle for safe measure...no issues. As stated, I hit much harder on the left.

These plastics have a ton of flex to them!

I

Impatientforsnow

Nov 29, 2007
Gods Country
so this plug holder on the bottle has nothing to do with a temp sensor or the coolant? we can just cut it off and re-zip tie it elsewhere? any pics on this would be great..
Thanks

Premium Features