• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

when to change cc oil

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Yes, after the first 150 miles and then watch the color like a hawk if you are running the aluminum gear. They are not the best option.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I pulled mine at about 300mi. If I'd known just how much that Aluminum gear disintegrates and sludges up the fluid, I'd have done it earlier. That stuff was nasty.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
On my 14 I let mine go til about 300 miles as well. like kid woo said, it was some nasty silvery goo comin out of there. I swapped to a hyvo setup and just put atf in there, been good since

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
drained

so googled it a bit before doing this and the complaint was no drain plug. was getting ready to pull the cover/oil tank assembly and thought id start with the bigger looking bolt at the bottom, and to my surprise its a drain plug!
not sure when they started that, this is a 17 mountain cat.
oil does have aluminum swirls in it but not too sludgy. 140 miles is all so far.
i might tip sled a little to make sure its all out but im not pulling the cover on this, warranty can do that if i have any troubles. :face-icon-small-hap

pinko

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wembley, AB
On my 14 I let mine go til about 300 miles as well. like kid woo said, it was some nasty silvery goo comin out of there. I swapped to a hyvo setup and just put atf in there, been good since

Atf is too light an oil imo

pinko

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wembley, AB
Don't want thick oil when leaving the truck at -15° F or colder on a regular basis
That's a non issue. Atf is thin enough when hot it will leak through the bearings.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
i used cat sythetic for warranty reasons but in all my other sleds i came to conclusion after reading plenty of dead horse beatings that it doesnt really matter what you put in there. i usually use motor oil. synthetic might be best with the aluminum bottom gear.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Sorry I worded that wrong. It will leak right through the seal on your track shaft.

I got thousands of miles of experience that says otherwise. I'm not telling or trying to convince anyone to run atf. run whatever your heart desires

pinko

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wembley, AB
I got thousands of miles of experience that says otherwise. I'm not telling or trying to convince anyone to run atf. run whatever your heart desires
Just trying to prevent anyone having issues from losing the oil out of their chaincase due to this. I've seen it a few times where atf is too thin to use in the chaincase, mine included. I'm glad you haven't had issues but trust me it can and does happen

Castforcash

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2016
'15 m8 chaincase gears

I'm heading out west at the end of the month. I have a '15 m8 and was wondering if the gears in this model year are aluminum as well. I haven't looked at my chain case oil yet, but I plan on changing it before I go. Sled has less than 500 miles on it as I haven't had a chance to ride much since I bought it. Thanks, Dave

Premium Features