• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M1000 Power Commander V

B
Feb 13, 2008
ELKO, MN
I am looking into buying a fuel controller. According to the website the PC V is only availible for the `09-10 model year. Does anyone know if this will work on `07 and `08?

R
Feb 2, 2008
Grande Prairie
just called them and they said they will email me when map is available for the 08's. they also advised me to not get my ecu reflashed!! i got the letter but never took it in because i think my sled works great. I also talked to Dynotech and they said that the auto-tune will work great for my sled. They said put on the auto-tune and run it for a bit letting it make a custom map for me then save it and take it off. SLP dissagrees with this. They don't recommend the auto-tune on a two stroke engine. They said they will have maps out soon with the pcv that are tuned to all their procucts.

B
Feb 13, 2008
ELKO, MN
Talked to SLP today (they also said the PC V for the 1000 fits `07-10) and found out there may be a problem with the auto tune. Something about the pipe temperature sensor fighting what the auto tune is trying to do.????? I dont know enough about it to give a good explanation. I did talk to another person that uses the PC and he assured me that the PC is Definately the fuel controller to get. But you may want to hold off on the auto tune, Just because it is so new, and let some one else be the guinie pig.

O
Dec 1, 2008
Bozeman, MT
The problem with using an autotune is that both ecu's are trying to compensate so they end up changing fuel maps. This confuses the other ecu which changes it's fuel map as well. End result is they fight back and forth and nothing good comes of it.

The PC V should be a great system. I'm in the process of tuning mine as we speak. If you aren't fairly well versed in fuel systems, it's going to be a nightmare for you. If you can buy the box with a fuel map already built from someone, then it's plug and play and there isn't a better setup on the market.

What's your experience building fuel maps and what mods are on the sled?

More than anything, it's a fairly time intensive systematic approach to tuning that requires patience and a datalogging setup for wideband 02, rpm, and throttle position.

S

scarter

Jan 13, 2009
Belgrade, MT
I work at Dynojet Research doing development and testing for our snowmobile products.

I know that SLP is not comfortable with using autotune on the two stokes yet and that is fine. They would like to do more testing before they start pushing the product.

The reason that they are not comfortable with autotune is because the exhaust temperature sensor on the Polaris snowmobiles trims fuel at 100% throttle to maintain pipe temperature. There is potential for auto tune to be adding fuel at the same time that the ECU is trying to take it away. This could slow the speed at which the pipe comes up to temperature. I have done testing on this and I haven’t fount this to be that big of an issue. Usually you are autotuning to an AFR that is leaner and hotter than the ECU setting and therefore the pipe can actually come up to temp quicker with autotune. But if it is a concern to you there is a way to tune around this and I will put together some instructions on how to use the temperature input on the Power Commander V to only autotune 100% throttle when the pipe is up to temperature.

I have yet to find anybody that will say that Arctic Cat trims fuel with their exhaust temperature sensor. So this may not even apply to the arctic cat crowd.

Autotune is a good tuning tool, and very useful for building maps but it is not a set it and forget it solution to all of your tuning problems. You still need to be familiar with general tuning concepts and have some general knowledge regarding Air/Fuel ratio to use the product correctly.

We will continue to do testing and perfect the way that auto tune works for the two stroke snowmobiles and I will post more information here as it becomes available.

Z
Dec 16, 2007
I have a 07 m8 and am planning on buying both the pcv and auto tune. Will i need to buy anything else? I thought that you put those on and run it for a while. then unhooking the auto tune and your map is good. what else would you have to watch besides checking plug color. Just trying to get as much help as i can, wanted to get my sled dialed in before a moutains trip in a month. thanks

S

scarter

Jan 13, 2009
Belgrade, MT
When you buy a Power Commander 5 and a autotune module you will not need anything else to use autotune. The autotune module comes with a sensor and a bung and everthing else you need.

It does build a map while you ride. Then after you have a good map you turn off autotune and use the map as your base map.

R
Feb 2, 2008
Grande Prairie
hey scarter...

So is this auto-tune trasferable between different PC5's? Like can i use it to build a map on both my sleds that would have a PC5 on???? sure beats the hell out of buying two of them.... So if this auto-tune will work great for the cat, how and how long do you ride with it on to let it build itself a good base map? Should you be going through all your RPM ranges and throttle possitions? i would put egts on but do you need them? i am thinking of putting egts on my sled stock then with putting all mods on tune to stock temps.

S

scarter

Jan 13, 2009
Belgrade, MT
Yes autotune can be shared between two different sleds. You will need to get a second bung to weld in the other pipe.

I like your idea of using EGT's to verify the tune that you get with the autotune unit. I think you will be pretty safe if you do that.

The longer you ride the more samples you will have for autotune to build trims with. It is important that you cover all the TP and RPM ranges that you can and spend some time in the different TP's to get good samples there.

Z
Dec 16, 2007
It sounds like its going to be easy as i thought. just got second thouhts when scarter said that it is not a set it and forget it. thats what i thought it was. when i get one was planning on going to the river and riding for a while and get all the rpms covered, then going home taking the auto tune off and riding again... i hope it is as easy as i want it to be!!!

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
The PC 5 is VERY NICE!!! I have been working with one for a few weeks and will begin releasing maps very soon depending on snow conditions. As stated above the autotune is not for everyone and the best way to buy a Powercommander is with a preloaded map so you can just plug it in and go. Let us, or SLP, or whoever, go through the R&D to get the map and then enjoy!:)

T

tcpeterson

Jan 14, 2009
Orofino, ID
The PC 5 is VERY NICE!!! I have been working with one for a few weeks and will begin releasing maps very soon depending on snow conditions. As stated above the autotune is not for everyone and the best way to buy a Powercommander is with a preloaded map so you can just plug it in and go. Let us, or SLP, or whoever, go through the R&D to get the map and then enjoy!:)

So would a map you created with a PC5 be transferable to a PC3? If so what would the cost of getting maps from you, slp, or whoever be? ballpark?

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
I will know more on this soon. I have some really good PCIII maps and will be putting them into the PC5 on the same sled and running through them. Based on my information they should be really close.

I have been selling the maps with the Powercommanders if you buy them from me or for $25.00 if you already have a controller.

R
Feb 2, 2008
Grande Prairie
so do you guys have any maps made for the 08 m1000's then with the single pipe set-up with or without the reflash on the pc5? im very interested since slp doesn't have anything yet!!

B
Feb 13, 2008
ELKO, MN
So if I understand this right. We still have to enter the "Target AFR" for the auto tune, then it builds a map, you turn auto tune off and fine tune manually from there. Instead of going through all of that I think I will just buy a pre built map from racinstation and fine tune from there? Are there going to be any tunes availible for an `07 with the original ecu program?

CatAttack

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Taber, AB
I will know more on this soon. I have some really good PCIII maps and will be putting them into the PC5 on the same sled and running through them. Based on my information they should be really close.

I have been selling the maps with the Powercommanders if you buy them from me or for $25.00 if you already have a controller.

When you have a really good map for an 09 M1000 on the PCV, for a full speedwerx y-pipe, pipe and MBRP can with BDX air intake, with riding elevation of 3000-6500 feet, then I will be ordering one that very same day.
One question for you though, I have a boondocker box now, does the PCV plug into the same power source as my boondocker does???

T

tcpeterson

Jan 14, 2009
Orofino, ID
One question for you though, I have a boondocker box now, does the PCV plug into the same power source as my boondocker does???

Not if the PCV plugs in the same as the PCIII, which i'm assuming it does. The PCIII just plugged right into the ECU and didn't mess with the injectors like the BD box.

Hey Racinstation, do you have a map for 09 M1000 with full SLP and BDX intake for the PCIII?

Last edited:

CatAttack

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Taber, AB
Not if the PCV plugs in the same as the PCIII, which i'm assuming it does. The PCIII just plugged right into the ECU and didn't mess with the injectors like the BD box.

Hey Racinstation, do you have a map for 09 M1000 with full SLP and BDX intake for the PCIII?

Yeah I figured it might not, thanks. Hey tcpeterson do you have a PCIII? And how do you like it? I am having a hard time dialing in my 09 M1000 with the boondocker box. I see you run the SLP setup, as I run the Speedwerx setup with same air box.

Premium Features