• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

My appreciation of the Explorer kit

T

TLKDPROD

Jan 25, 2008
Salmon Arm, BC
hey guys,
just wanted to do a quick short thread on the Explorer kit that I finally got to try at Hawkfest.

It's a lot of fun and it goes through deep snow (16" probably) pretty darn good. Throw a leg over and there you go, not as tricky to ride as a Snow-Hawk because of its lightweight ! Explorin' through the trees on a sidehill on virtually any type of snow is what this kit does best I think. And it works.

Of course, me being a die-heart 800cc Snow-Hawk rider, I still think a Snow-Hawk (or should I say a nicely tuned Snow-Hawk) will remain the best thing on snow. But these bike kits and Snow-Hawks hardly compare, yes the'yve got one ski, a track and a twist throttle but that's about it.

The CVT on the Snow-Hawk, big HP and the belly pan is what makes is so different that the bike kits I think. I'll tell you why according to my 15 minutes experience on the bike (!) : I was going up a pretty steep hill with the Aprilia equipped bike, I ended-up over-reving the first gear because the second was a bit too high for what the motor could crank out and motor was dying. I went up the hill no problem though but actually, I would have like to shift half a gear ! And that's where a (nicely tuned) CVT makes all the difference. You'll go through pretty steep stuff, decently deep stuff you will just do it way slower than a Hawk. Big HP needed here: Powering a track is more HP hungry than powering a wheel, I should have thrown a leg over Cailen's KX500... but anyway... I figure if a guy could get to the 80-85HP mark, then we'd start talking ! Belly pan: that's totally because of my riding style : I throw my hawk pretty hard on each side of the belly pan and I use the Hawk belly pan as my "2 additionnal skis", when my main ski is off the ground, I use the corner of the belly pan to "hold the edge". That ain't happen with the bike kit though ! I got to go down twice instead of holding the edge ! That's totally my fault : these 2 machines don't handle exactly the same.

Would have liked to try a couple of different bikes to see where exactly the bike itself is the limitation of the kit but I was a bit too busy riding my Hawk & chatting with the other Hawkers !

Bottom line, I'd say it's really up to what you want to do with your Machine:

-Want something easy to ride, heavy and hard to get unstuck with with limited sidehilling capabilities (compared to 1 skis), can get drunk while riding it: go for a 2-ski.

-You're a biker in the summer who's looking for something to do in the winter ("and damn if that something to do could involve a twist throttle" kind of thing), want to go out tight trees & trails, make your way through decently deep powder, sidehill as hell, you have a bike and want to have a blast in the winter (and can't convince your wife (or your wallet) that a second machine would fit great in the garage) : The bike kit is for you, go ahead, no hesitation. (Now, the "hesitaquestion" is : Explorer or 2Moto !!! I Would have like to try the 2moto but no one had one saturday. I don't want to reopen the debate here... but I wouldn't like to pick one because I wouldn't know which one to choose.)

-Want the best of both worlds (except the ability to get drunk and still be able to ride, if that's not a con) : Throw a leg over a Hawk and learn to ride it. I hardly think you'll get back to anything else. (I know a guy made the switch from Sled to Hawk to Bike kit but I consider that to be the exception that confirms the rule !) It's got the most potential of all three types of machines... but it needs a bit of tuning/work. Don't expect your "right out of the box" Hawk to perform as it should in the mountains unfortunately. Ask for some support on this forum !

Here's a decent shot my girlfriend snapped of me, having fun with the bike kit.

Thanks Mike for the opportunity to ride it.

Peace !

Thierry

LOLO Hot Spring Hawkfest 002.jpg

S
Nov 26, 2007
Northern Utah
Fun to ride!

Wow Thierry! Pretty good post. It would take me about a week to peck that much stuff on the keyboard. (That's why posts are so short)

Anyway I've had several rides on the kits and they do work pretty darn good. You can still go anywhere you want and have fun. When all your pals are on the same thing is when it is really fun(sleds, hawks, bikes).

I have had fun every time I have ridden them, THANKS MIKE!!!!

P
Dec 5, 2007
Colville WA
11 yr old Austin is typing

AT the hawkfest I got to ride a HUSANBURG 550 with the EXPLORER kit on it and it rocked but I had a hard time keeping the back end down because when I hit something it bounced all around the trail BUT I'M ONLY 11YEARS OLD AND 74LBS.But biggest bike i'v ever rod was a KTM200exc

S
Nov 29, 2008
fruitland,Id
I never seized the opportunity to ride the explorer(stupid,stupid,stupid)and I admit I was really sceptical about how well they would perform,after riding with them for 3 days wow!!!!They really go.They climb better than I thought they would,much faster than I expected.I watched one do a cornice drop and some pretty awesome jumps!!Three days of really hard riding and I never seen anybody working on them,other than one seemed to be difficult to get started first time in morning.

Dec 4, 2007
pa
yes the explorer kits are holding up well,,, and the starting in the am is an easy fix with jd jet kit,,, thanks for noticing them ripping around last weekend!!

i wish you would of rode one,,, i was trying to get everyone on one,,, even got tony on one! he had a nice smile when he came back!

mike

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
good one ski reports

This is a great post of opinions about the one ski breed. I have seen some killer deals on new kits so what are you all waiting for? get out the plastic and start having a new kind of fun.

Premium Features