• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

black marks on primary clutch??

garciava

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
western colorado
another clutch question

My 09 M8 with the SLP pipe set up and MXT 71 gram wts with 2 grams in outer hole per SLP recommendations I am getting a lot of black markings on the top side of the primary clutch. I assume this is from the belt slipping. What would be causing this and how do I correct it?

Other info
I am riding 9500 to 10500 elevations mostly. Sled is pulling 7850 to 9550 in the deep and on long deep hills. Track speed is running 38 to 40 MPH

C
Nov 26, 2007
Kootenays!
when you say "outer" hole, are you meaning loading it in the toe of the weight? Dont quote me, but i always heard you want more heal weight if possible. So if grinding weights, take it from the toe moreso, or if loading adjustable, add the weight close to the pin (within reason). To my understanding this was more for belt grip?

garciava

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
western colorado
Yes I am using stock belt. I have not changed it yet but it looks ok.

Coxy
Not sure why but SLP recommended putting the added 2 grams at the hole farthest from the bolt holding the cam arm'

I talked to SLP today and they recommended I remove the added 2 grams and try that

C
Nov 26, 2007
Kootenays!
That is rather odd actually. Are your R's in the ballpark you would like? If its close, try adding that weight closer to the pin, even just for a ride to try. I was really happy with my cutlers in my m7, enough that im getting them for my m8 as well i think. Are the daltons a nice setup? Havent seen them personally. Thats the joy of these weights, you can experiment and it costs you nothing other then a bit of time.

S
Nov 30, 2007
The Last Frontier
slow backshift will cause the black marks, its nothing to be worried about unless you have excessive marking or belt wear. The extra tip weight you have can contribute to this, but if it runs best there it might be a trade off. As clutching performance always is ......

T
Dec 4, 2007
yeah i have a set of daltons and kinda wondering where it is best to put the weight at the tip or at the heel..

i talk to the guys at cutler and they say put them at the tip for better mid to top end. and if u put them towards the heel that will give u better bottom to top end range.. i ran cutlers last year and loved them no clue why i went with the daltons for my 09 m8 so and i was reading the dalton sheet and it says dont load them towards the tip.. so i am kinda wondering what to do.. also

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
yeah i have a set of daltons and kinda wondering where it is best to put the weight at the tip or at the heel..

i talk to the guys at cutler and they say put them at the tip for better mid to top end. and if u put them towards the heel that will give u better bottom to top end range.. i ran cutlers last year and loved them no clue why i went with the daltons for my 09 m8 so and i was reading the dalton sheet and it says dont load them towards the tip.. so i am kinda wondering what to do.. also

my daltons i load at the tip...i thought the only precaution dalton had about tip loading was using the long set screw first...something about possible bind and not being able to lock against each other...use the long one right after the shortest and ya still have the tip loaded..use blue locktight...if these things are started same distance...locked against each other...locktighted..then go for it and the hell with the instructions..

P

ps700

Nov 27, 2007
BCs Northern Capital
I found to on mine if my belt was alittle loose i would get black marks on the top, and i found that everything works better with the belt a bit tighter then looser. :confused:

T
Dec 4, 2007
ok so what happens if the weight i need is just that long one and that is all i need.. i guess i could play with a couple smaller ones to make the same weight.. i think i might load the tip i know on my cutlers last year i did that and loved it..
my daltons i load at the tip...i thought the only precaution dalton had about tip loading was using the long set screw first...something about possible bind and not being able to lock against each other...use the long one right after the shortest and ya still have the tip loaded..use blue locktight...if these things are started same distance...locked against each other...locktighted..then go for it and the hell with the instructions..

Nov 26, 2007
Anchorage, AK
Are the RPM's you listed correct? if you are turning 9550 on a twin thats not good I believe the 7850 is where you want to be 1700 more rpms could be an issue sounds like your onto the issue of putting weight in the right place. But be very careful over revving your motor that much. black on your clutches would be the least of your worries.

garciava

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
western colorado
2000TCMC

good catch
its 7950 rpm not 9550

I believe the black marks were from a loose belt. Tightened it up black marks are gone

thanks for the help

Premium Features