• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clicker Pivot Bolts and Console Questions

03RMK800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kremmling, Colorado
Two unrelated questions--

1. Any suggestions on loosening the clicker pivot bolts? I broke two Torx wrenches. Luck day, however-- got the piece out of the bolt head both times!

2. I want to screw a GPS mount to the area of the bottom right corner of the "indicator cover" (the plastic cover part that holds the tach/speedo etc gauge) and the "console" (the plastic cover part that runs from the tank forward). Does any one know if there are any lines, wires, etc that would be a problem if I drilled just ahead and to the right of the steering column? I plan to stay to the left and behind the air intake gallery.

Thanks!

DanoXRS

King Ding-aLing
Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Two unrelated questions--

1. Any suggestions on loosening the clicker pivot bolts? I broke two Torx wrenches. Luck day, however-- got the piece out of the bolt head both times!

2. I want to screw a GPS mount to the area of the bottom right corner of the "indicator cover" (the plastic cover part that holds the tach/speedo etc gauge) and the "console" (the plastic cover part that runs from the tank forward). Does any one know if there are any lines, wires, etc that would be a problem if I drilled just ahead and to the right of the steering column? I plan to stay to the left and behind the air intake gallery.

Thanks!

1. The clicker pivot bolt torque is 71 inch lbs. and it's an allen key. If you tighten them to specs, you won't break the allen key in the head. However, you said that you broke Torx wrenches...that indicates that you are talking about the axle retaining screws. (Roller and ramp axles have the same torque specs.) The torque for those is 44 inch lbs. Same story...stick to the specs and you shouldn't be breaking wrenches anymore.

2. I don't believe that you'll run into anything where you plan on drilling, but past experience dictates that you should remove the piece before drilling it. Check for yourself rather than relying on someone who doesn't own a bolt in your sled!

Dano. :face-icon-small-coo

03RMK800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kremmling, Colorado
Thanks for the info. I should have mentioned it is a 2018 850, of which some or all have a different pivot bolt than was supplied on most or all of the 2017s.
On the clutch pivot screws, the problem (and others mentioned this) is that the factory apparently overtightened the clutch pivot screws, so its hard to change the clicker setting. The factory tool supplied is a torx, but I will look at the hex possibilities. Again, Thanks!

S
Feb 24, 2016
WA
I have no idea how those clicker bolts get so tight but the same thing happened to me. I went through a couple of bits also. I ended up removing the belt and then taking one of the ramps out of the clutch the same way Sled Head Racing does, levering against the damper . Once the ramp was out I used a socket to support it, my vise to prevent rotation (no clamping) and one of these manual impact drivers to loosen it. It was a real bitch. My dealer was unable to get it loose. LOL

0b0043032ddc2ebddfa8f83feafd5626.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S
Feb 24, 2016
WA
I bet it’s the heat from the clutches causing them to seize.

I think that is definitely part of it, especially the heat cycles.

I had broken mine all free in the shop because I had read they were a bugger the first time. For some reason though only one of them tightened up to the point of breaking bits after riding. That leads me to believe something was unique on that clicker.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
Yes 17 and 18 are different bolts.

03RMK800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kremmling, Colorado
Thanks to all. Dealer will take care of the bolts. Better his tools and know how than me and my hammer impact tool on my last Form bit.

On e console question, good to pull the instrument panel. The bundle of wires running under that is as big as an aorta and probably as important. Glad I did not punch a hole.
Thx again!

Premium Features