• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Delorme inreach satellite communicator

L

logan1080

Feb 12, 2013
http://www.inreachdelorme.com/

I'm looking for a gps device and am wondering if anyone has tried this unit. I just got off the phone with these guys and basically you pay for a service plan which allows you to text any phone number or email as well using the SOS feature which notifies emergency responders. They use the iridium satellite system which has 66 satellites which covers the world. The only thing your losing with this device is the visual map aspect. You can still track yourself, get guided to coordinates, plot way points etc. I'm considering this over the Garmin rhino because this way I can get emergency help if needed. What do you guys think? Anyone tried it?

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
What do you mean "losing the map"? are you talking about the lack of topo type maps on it?

I have been thinking about the Inreach explorer model but I want to see one in person before I make the decision on it. But I like the idea for the same reasons you list. he no topo maps sucks but after really thinking about how I use my gps 95% of the time is for tracking only and you can pair it to your smart phone to get full topo maps and I think I can just make that work.

L

logan1080

Feb 12, 2013
I just discovered the Explorer model it looks solid. I'm not a fan of getting charged $5/month when I'm not using it though. Or every time I lay a "bread crumb" it costs money again.

OEUnlimited

Premium Member
Nov 2, 2012
Hudson Valley, NY
www.oeunlimited.com
I just discovered the Explorer model it looks solid. I'm not a fan of getting charged $5/month when I'm not using it though. Or every time I lay a "bread crumb" it costs money again.

Bread crumbs don't use data unless you have the "Tracking" feature on - where it sends your location out to contacts, maps, etc. But just to have a breadcrumb trail on the device to look at, doesn't use data.

L

logan1080

Feb 12, 2013
Yeah the unlimited here in Canada is $70. I'm thinking I'll just get the basic plan because hopefully I don't need to use the thing that often to text people anyway.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
I run into the issue of having cell service at the cabin but as soon as we get out on sleds or ATV's we often don't have it. Plus my wife likes to travel the world and to change our cell plans while she is traveling is kind of a pain so I'm hoping that I can sent this with her to use to check in from time to time.

I have a Garmin Colorado 300 now and only the downloadable maps missing is the only thing I am concerned about with the Inreach. However maybe these will be popular enough for them to come out with a full featured stand alone version down the line. I really just wish I could find one local to look at but nobody has them in stock. So I'm going to take the chance and order one from OEUnlimted above. been too busy lately to have time to mess with it so I'll probably get it ordered up in Nov.

I'll keep updating the forum on how it works and my thoughts on it as I go.

L

logan1080

Feb 12, 2013
I'm going to see if cabelas has some in stock tomorrow, if not I'm just going to order one too.

B

bailer

Nov 26, 2007
Saskatoon
I have had the inreach se for maybe 9mos.
It is nice to use, quite intuitive.
Now I use my iPhone as my gps and keep the inreach in a pocket as my emergency device.
I used it biking this year. It just really feels a lot safer when out in remote areas.
I used the tracking feature which was great for family because they could keep tabs on us and great for me cuz I didn't have to keep checking in with them.

L

logan1080

Feb 12, 2013
Does the explorer have to have a clear view of the sky or can I keep it in jacket pocket?

B

bailer

Nov 26, 2007
Saskatoon
I just keep mine in my chest pocket. I haven't had any trouble holding onto a signal even in heavily treed mountainous terrain.

I don't use it as my primary gps, just as an emergency communicator. I find the iPhone motionX app to be awesome and user friendly as my main gps (after many any garmins and Magellan through the years). I use the Lifeproof Nuud iPhone case and bar mount.

I like to keep my primary gps mounted on my bars so I keep my bearings when in motion, but want the Inreach SE protected in a pocket in case an incident separates me from my sled/bike. This is the reason I have adopted this two device strategy as opposed to just relying on an Inreach Explorer for example.

Last edited:
L

logan1080

Feb 12, 2013
I'd like to use my phone my Ive heard that cell phones can interfere with beacons so I always shut mine off.

OEUnlimited

Premium Member
Nov 2, 2012
Hudson Valley, NY
www.oeunlimited.com
Does the explorer have to have a clear view of the sky or can I keep it in jacket pocket?

Like many GPS devices, it seems the initial lock needs a pretty good view of the sky, and be stationary. Once its locked on, you can move through tree cover, etc. without an issue. Once or twice I've had one hiking, and forgot to turn it on right away and did so while moving through tree cover, and took a while for it get a good signal. But, if I turn it on in the parking lot, while I get my gear together, it will lock on, and then stay as I hike. I usually have it in a pocket or clipped to the strap of a pack.

I used an InReach Explorer in Utah this past summer and it worked great even in some pretty deep canyons, as long as they were somewhat wide. I did lose signal in Zion narrows though, but that's not all the surprising, as the sky is only a sliver at many points!

So far all of our rental customers have had positive things to say about the performance of the SE's and Explorers.

R
Nov 15, 2013
SE Wisconsin
This was asked elsewhere on this sight, and the answer was NO. airplane mode will still interfere. In fact, they said some devices even turned off can interfere, and they just need to be away from you. I believe ipods were mentioned. And it seems to apply more so while the beacons are in search mode. Maybe a search here could find that discussion.

Carbon77

Lifetime Membership
Jun 12, 2008
Yakivegas, WA
I got the SE for Xmas. I'm really happy with it, I got the Recreational month to month plan. Its $35 a month: http://www.inreachdelorme.com/freedom/ and it does unlimited breadcrumbs, unlimited preset messages and up to 40 custom texts a month which is plenty enough to let my Preggo wife know whats going on and that everything is okay.

I keep it in the backpack waist pocket, breadcrumbs work fine and I've been out for 10-12 hours a day and the battery life maybe goes down 10-12%. I'm really happy with the build quality of it, and for $35/mo and can cancel it whenever, you cant beat it.

K
Oct 4, 2009
SW Idaho
inReach questions

I just bought the inReach SE and the most basic plan. Did I miss read the "unlimited" term on the preselected messages. It was lead to believe these could be used without charging against usage. If every message sent and received is counted the 60 dollar month plan is probably needed and that makes me rethink my purchase. Spot is easy dependable and allows unlimited usage but no testing or return messages.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
The "Preset Messages" are unlimited in all of their plans.

Now if you are sending/receiving "Text Messages" the the quantity amount applies unless you sign up for plans that have unlimited text meassages. The Safety Plan allows 10 text messages and the Recreational Plan allows 40 text messages before charging .50 for each additional message.

From Delorme InReach webpage:

Text Messages -
any that you send and receive using an inReach SE or via Earthmate on a companion device.

Preset Messages - short, commonly-used messages that are set up in your Explore account and pre-loaded to your inReach ahead of time.

I think you're confusing the the two types of messages you can work with.

Last edited:
Premium Features