• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snowmobile GPS Options and Opinions?

B
Feb 23, 2008
Englewood, CO
Hey everyone,

My brothers and I are looking to buy my parents a GPS that they can use for sledding, specifically in Washington State, as a Christmas gift. I was wondering about your experiences using a GPS while sledding. Opinions on brands and software that can load trail maps? Are there kits out there for mounting them on handlebars or something?

Any information would be helpful.

-Bryce

J
Jan 20, 2009
Northern Utah
You would be happy with any of the Color Garmin units with expandable memory.
Rhino, etrex, hcx. Just don't get the road GPS units designed for cars. Garmin has their own topo loadable maps but the National Geographic are a little more detailed and compatible with the garmins but a little more expensive. The new Garmin Oregon I think its called looks like a nice unit check it out.

M
Sep 21, 2002
Edmonton
For something to mount on your sled, I would not recommend the Garmin RINO series.

If you are separated from your sled and hurt in a mishap, you have no way to radio for help.
You can get a top quality radio, and a top quality GPS for much less than the RINO... keep the GPS on the sled, while still having a radio on your person.

B
Nov 26, 2007
OKotoks, Alberta
For something to mount on your sled, I would not recommend the Garmin RINO series.

If you are separated from your sled and hurt in a mishap, you have no way to radio for help.
You can get a top quality radio, and a top quality GPS for much less than the RINO... keep the GPS on the sled, while still having a radio on your person.

But if your riding partners have the Rino and one gets seperated they can tag your location and come find you. Thats hard to do with just a radio.

S
Nov 26, 2007
washington
Gps

Everyone has their own preference, but I think the Garmin color units are the best. I bought an Oregon 400 T last year, after using a 60CS for several years. I love it, but it sucks battery life in the cold, so I have a 12v power supply to run it.

IMG_0563.jpg

IMG_0562.jpg

Last edited:
T

triple Black

Dec 11, 2008
Revelstoke BC
www.farwestfilms.com
Garmin rino is cool cause you have hand held built in but I have got nothing good to say about mine because the radio funtion has never worked right. they sent me a new one that is just as bad and anytime you call for support you get someone that speaks french. what a waste of 450$... lots of others use them with good luck though... may be just my luck...

O

ovscrider

Dec 2, 2007
for a mount use a RAM mount, i've got 7000+ miles on my ram mount running etrex, vista hcx and a 60csx.

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
the garmin 60 and 76 series are the only ones that ive found that dont freeze up or require a battery change to make it thru a 8 hour day. Anyone want a minty colorado 300?

S

spook222

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 28, 2008
eastern washington
so, other than the radio option, is there any difference between the rino 530 and the 60csx? Do you give anything up going from the 60 to the rino?

Premium Features