• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2013 M800 top end bog

Oct 14, 2011
Faulkton, SD
Hey guys, this is my first post, been lurking here for a long time and have learned multitudes from this great community, so huge thanks! I'd like to start trying to contribute my .02 when I can.

So here's my issue. I bought a 2013 M800 son pro new as a carry over a couple years ago, it is geared down and has the updated secondary. Absolutely love the sled! But here last year, I only got 1 trip unfortunately, on my last day in Colorado my sled had a top end bog, like it just didn't want to rev quite all the way when pinned. Once or twice throughout the day it revved all the way out just like it should have for part of a pull then it went right back to bogging. Sled starts runs fine. If I had to guess (I didn't see the gauge) I'd say it was revving up to like 6500-7000ish. The sled is bone stock aside from a bikeman mountain can.
I'm wondering if you guys have any ideas, I went though both the primary and secondary clutch carefully when I got home and didn't find a single problem, clutches were also nice and clean. Changed my spark plugs as a precaution. I'm going to doubt it was the plugs though as I only have 500 or less miles on the sled total. When I got home I didn't have any snow to test on, but I'm thinking I'm still gonna have problems when the snow finally flies. Are there any big simple things I might be missing or common problems? My next guess is possibly the fuel pump possibly is going out. Any ideas? Any help is much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 14, 2011
Faulkton, SD
Check cables on power valves. Rare, but they can jump off. PV open around your problem area. I'd also be skeptic you got bad fuel

I remember the place we got fuel and I actually wasn't too worried at the time because it seemed like that was where everyone was going for fuel, but good thought, I won't rule that out. Maybe when I get the sled outta storage I'll just siphon it right away for safe measure.
As for the power valves, I also checked those over when I did the plugs and I didn't see anything I thought was out of the ordinary.
Also, forgot to mention before, just to make matters harder to track, I had no codes showing up

richardderkevorkian

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2010
Soldotna AK
Hey guys, this is my first post, been lurking here for a long time and have learned multitudes from this great community, so huge thanks! I'd like to start trying to contribute my .02 when I can.

So here's my issue. I bought a 2013 M800 son pro new as a carry over a couple years ago, it is geared down and has the updated secondary. Absolutely love the sled! But here last year, I only got 1 trip unfortunately, on my last day in Colorado my sled had a top end bog, like it just didn't want to rev quite all the way when pinned. Once or twice throughout the day it revved all the way out just like it should have for part of a pull then it went right back to bogging. Sled starts runs fine. If I had to guess (I didn't see the gauge) I'd say it was revving up to like 6500-7000ish. The sled is bone stock aside from a bikeman mountain can.
I'm wondering if you guys have any ideas, I went though both the primary and secondary clutch carefully when I got home and didn't find a single problem, clutches were also nice and clean. Changed my spark plugs as a precaution. I'm going to doubt it was the plugs though as I only have 500 or less miles on the sled total. When I got home I didn't have any snow to test on, but I'm thinking I'm still gonna have problems when the snow finally flies. Are there any big simple things I might be missing or common problems? My next guess is possibly the fuel pump possibly is going out. Any ideas? Any help is much appreciated!

you sure all of the rollers are good in the primary clutch? pull the cover and make sure one of them isn't sloppy.

i doubt its the fuel pump they usually just quit when the sled is off and then wont restart.

bad fuel possibly causing it to detonate id drain it and fill up with fresh fuel

Oct 14, 2011
Faulkton, SD
you sure all of the rollers are good in the primary clutch? pull the cover and make sure one of them isn't sloppy.

i doubt its the fuel pump they usually just quit when the sled is off and then wont restart.

bad fuel possibly causing it to detonate id drain it and fill up with fresh fuel

Yes, I'm like 95% sure the rollers looked perfect as far as I could tell (I last saw it in like January haha), and I checked my weights over very carefully in case I had some sticky weights and they were just as they should be also. When I bring the sled in maybe I will crack the primary open just to be sure.

Oct 14, 2011
Faulkton, SD

Can the rollers be replaced in the 13's? From what I remember I thought cat quit selling parts for the primary (rollers etc) in the earlier years

richardderkevorkian

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2010
Soldotna AK
Oct 14, 2011
Faulkton, SD

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
time to check your power valve cables and adjust them if you never have.
if your clutch has a bad roller i would at this point just buy a new clutch. you can pick them up for under 350.00. slp and dalton sell repair parts but you will be 100.00 just for the special tools to make it work and still have 2 other rollers with miles. when a roller go's bad it will eat the top side of the weigh and make a flat spot on it. if you are going to keep the sled for a long time then i would think about the team clutch but will cost about double just buying a new one.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2011
Faulkton, SD
time to check your power valve cables and adjust them if you never have.
if your clutch has a bad roller i would at this point just buy a new clutch. you can pick them up for under 350.00. slp and dalton sell repair parts but you will be 100.00 just for the special tools to make it work and still have 2 other rollers with miles. when a roller go's bad it will eat the top side of the weigh and make a flat spot on it. if you are going to keep the sled for a long time then i would think about the team clutch but will cost about double just buying a new one.

I'll check again for sure when the sled comes outta storage, but I'm almost positive the rollers are fine because when I adjusted the weights I remember thinking that the weights sure looked nice with no flats or wear marks even.

mja

Lifetime Membership
May 18, 2011
Sounds to me like a venting issue? Vents plugged with powder and not letting the motor breath.

mja

Lifetime Membership
May 18, 2011
Good thought, but Definitely wasn't plugged up, did it right off the bat the last morning and the sled was melted off completely from overnight in the trailer

I would think then maybe moisture refroze somewhere causing the power valves or injectors to act up.

Oct 14, 2011
Faulkton, SD
Guess I never gave water in the gas a thought....that's pretty plausible, it had snowed the night before, I coulda grabbed a fuel nozzle with snow or ice in the end of it yet and not noticed

Premium Features