• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 Timbersled

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
$5499 for 120 ARO, free strut rod fit kit with a snowcheck
$6499 for 120 ARO LE, free TSS fit kit with a snowcheck

Have not checked on the 137's. Probably add $6 or $700 to those prices.

I have been quoted a similar pricing.

what will the white, or blue LE kits look like? will they look like the red, and the orange kits we see pics of with spindles and rails powdercoated in color? very hard to make a color choice if you cant see ALL OF THE OPTIONS.

unless Polaris starts offering rebates to the dealer for the 16 and 17 left over non current kits, the dealers are going to be hurting to sell their stocked left over units. the pricing I have saw, the difference with the snowcheck coat figured into the equation is less than 500 from the 17 kit, to the 18 kit (pricing the same kit with the same tss install kit), comparing apples to apples.

leaning hard on the 18 snowcheck unit right now, unless a left over kit is priced RIGHT. Ski

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
With the narrower track how much surface area are we loosing on the snow compared to a 16-17 st? or does the steeper angle of approach somehow get more track on the snow? Just curious because i am 150 lbs rider (granted i pack a lot of gear) and in wet heavy snow i wont ride. Just not enough surface area to keep me on top on the snow. and i don't like being constantly stuck. Thats why i dumped my sled in the first place.

Also making the ski and track the same width is a good idea but i notice a problem now with my 17 TS when im doing switchbacks. In a turn the track is in fresh snow, not in the packed snow from the ski. Makes uphill turns in powder nearly impossible. I would almost think a wider track, or longer is needed. or Is this where the steeper angle of attack is supposed to help?
Anyhow just a few questions for the smart people on here lol

Always do downhill switch backs. Keep them tight. Minimal elevation loss. Cross your previous line going the other way. Keep them tight. Practice them. You can climb to the top of anything. The 1 to 1 works amazing with the raised drive shaft. I just returned from a demo in waist deep powder. I was on the new ARO. ST, LE and spent all day getting people un stuck. There was even an argument among riders thinking it was a long track. The new ARO is amazing. Gas tank deep all day today on the ST, ARO.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Pivoting suspension appears to be gone. Was always a gimmick imho

The front flex arm came before the convex track. It worked very well. If you have ever ridden the early flat track with no flex arm, then the flat track with the front flex arm, you would have experienced the night and day difference in the bikes ability to roll from side to side. The flex arm being compliant to objects under the snow and allowing side to side roll was very nice and much needed at the time. Secondly came the convex track which resolved the side roll characteristics desired, so the flex arm is a mute point. No longer needed.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
The front flex arm came before the convex track. It worked very well. If you have ever ridden the early flat track with no flex arm, then the flat track with the front flex arm, you would have experienced the night and day difference in the bikes ability to roll from side to side. The flex arm being compliant to objects under the snow and allowing side to side roll was very nice and much needed at the time. Secondly came the convex track which resolved the side roll characteristics desired, so the flex arm is a mute point. No longer needed.

FWIW
The front flex arm (and any tilting skid) causes scrubbing of track speed through friction.
Polaris knows this.
Hence the elimination of the floppy dildo.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
I think the flexing skids are pretty much here to stay , even the sleds had curved lugs long before the kits did .

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
/
FWIW
The front flex arm (and any tilting skid) causes scrubbing of track speed through friction.
Polaris knows this.
Hence the elimination of the floppy dildo.

I don't know when you started snowbiking, but 6 years ago we , in the development stages , wanted and needed the bike to roll from side to side. The flex arm provided that. The flat track and no side to side roll was very difficult to ride. Perhaps you rode one of those? Track speed and snowmobiles were not the objective. It was strictly "motorcycle ride and feel". The evolution has come so far, so fast! Very exciting times for everyone for sure.

Any way, this is not a discussion of early development. This is a thread discussing the new 2018 ARO.
------------------
Try again

Last edited:

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007

Our crew always locked it out and left it that way..

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
/

I don't know when you started snowbiking, but 6 years ago we , in the development stages , wanted and needed the bike to roll from side to side. The flex arm provided that. The flat track and no side to side roll was very difficult to ride. Perhaps you rode one of those? Track speed and snowmobiles were not the objective. It was strictly "motorcycle ride and feel". The evolution has come so far, so fast! Very exciting times for everyone for sure.

Any way, this is not a discussion of early development. This is a thread discussing the new 2018 ARO.
------------------
Try again

I wasn't arguing with you...????
I merely stated why polaris did what they did.

I acknowledge what you say applied to the early Timbersled.
I'm happy they are moving away from that theory/culture

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Early TS will still give any kit a run for its $$$$ with the right rider. Personally I would prefer a non convex track, because I think it washes out easier and gives up propulsion. I understand that some feel uncomfortable with expending the energy to turn a snowbike but I don't ride with those guys:juggle::face-icon-small-coo

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
That is one of the things I really like about snow biking. It is a lot like dirt biking. A guy can show up on some old iron and do just fine. Newer equipment makes it easier to accomplish, but it is not always a deal breaker.

T

Texask5

Oct 3, 2015
I have been quoted a similar pricing.

what will the white, or blue LE kits look like? will they look like the red, and the orange kits we see pics of with spindles and rails powdercoated in color? very hard to make a color choice if you cant see ALL OF THE OPTIONS.

unless Polaris starts offering rebates to the dealer for the 16 and 17 left over non current kits, the dealers are going to be hurting to sell their stocked left over units. the pricing I have saw, the difference with the snowcheck coat figured into the equation is less than 500 from the 17 kit, to the 18 kit (pricing the same kit with the same tss install kit), comparing apples to apples.

leaning hard on the 18 snowcheck unit right now, unless a left over kit is priced RIGHT. Ski

Got quoted $6000 for a ST LE with the free TSS and $6600 for LT LE, probably gonna snowcheck a ST. Saw on the timbersled Facebook ARO chat(ask engineers deal) they said even with the skinny track the new ST gets up on the snow better than last year's ST hope that's true because I'm coming from 2 LT kits so hate to give up traction but really wanna try a ST this year.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
fresh rubber

While at the snow bike races in West over the weekend, a couple of new 2018's were sitting in the pickup next to me all afternoon so I got out the tape measure and was checking on this and that and supsension arms etc.

When I measured the tracks, the new 2018 center lug is 2.250 inches from track face to top of the lug, my 2017 track measures 2.500 inches track face to top of lug.

More shorter lug on the new track. More scoooping action on center lug as per Polaris sled designs on the 2018 track. Maybe they grow before next fall, but that's the numbers on the tracks this spring.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Warning You have reached the limit of your Free Basic Member reading privileges. To continue reading this thread, please upgrade to Premium Member status.

Sure wish this guy could see all this information. If there was only a way to do it............

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
While at the snow bike races in West over the weekend, a couple of new 2018's were sitting in the pickup next to me all afternoon so I got out the tape measure and was checking on this and that and supsension arms etc.

When I measured the tracks, the new 2018 center lug is 2.250 inches from track face to top of the lug, my 2017 track measures 2.500 inches track face to top of lug.

More shorter lug on the new track. More scoooping action on center lug as per Polaris sled designs on the 2018 track. Maybe they grow before next fall, but that's the numbers on the tracks this spring.
Maybe they have been collaborating with mototrax!

Premium Features