• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Introducing Panthera Motorsports CR625 100+hp Snowbike Monster !

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
As some of you may or may not of heard, a company by the name of Panthera Motorsports has developed some great billet engine cases for the CR500 engine. The cases incorporate a KTM style hydraulic clutch slave cylinder as well as numerous case upgrades. Also in the works is the ever coveted electric start for the Panthera CR500, soon, very soon !

The latest and greatest from the Canadian based company is the new CR625cc 100+hp engine. It is being developed for the power hungry snowbikers and hillclimbers ! The Nikasil bore is 97mm and stroke is 84.5mm. The cases are machined to accept the Liger cylinder which is machined and spec'd by Panthera. The cylinder will be a direct bolt on to billet cases which are flow matched to the cylinder which will make a excellent matched set that will be not only high performance but also very reliable.

The newly created crankshaft also a beautiful piece will be the heart of the Panthera 625cc. No more tin covered weak cranks rather a precision billet, strong in-house machined piece of eye candy !

There are numerous improvements in the cases themselves as compared to stock Honda pieces. Things such as better gasket sealing, beefier material in crank and kickstart areas, hydraulic clutch, electric start. Its the next progression in the CR500. This will make it one of if not the most powerful normally aspirated snowbikes on the snow !

Some of the first engines are being built and complete bikes will be on the snow for the following snowbike season ! Imagine a normally aspirated 100hp 2 stroke that likes to be revved all day long !

If you have any questions call Panthera ! Adam from Millar Racing has a bunch of details as well ! I'm sure they won't mind answering Panthera questions LOL

Check out - http://www.pantheramotorsports.com
Facebook - Panthera Motorsports

Some pics !:

sxhgsg.jpg

1zr03df.jpg

f3tje9.jpg

xku9fo.jpg

2qk7b5w.jpg

2hn2rn5.jpg

14cfuoj.jpg

309mt1f.jpg

Last edited:
N
Jan 3, 2008
Northern Utah
My first thought was why would anyone spend that much. But if you figure it out its about the same price to turbo a 450. And the 500 is cheaper to get into initially. Super cool

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Holy crap man that piston looks massive , the skids will be in for a beating :face-icon-small-hap

R
Apr 18, 2016
I just ordered a kit for next year, it's my first snow bike but like my 100th CR500. I've been riding 500's since 88 and been on the CR500riders forum for a while. I have been watching this Panthera motor unfold and am anxiously awaiting the electric start kit for my AF singletracker. I have another ported out CR I run in the dunes a few times a year that I keep thinking the Liger would be fun for...who knows if I enjoy this snowbike thing than maybe I'll need one for that.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Actual cost isnt too bad if you compare it to a modified stock engine. A clean ported 500 motor will run 5000 bucks with new parts. The Panthera is more but think about what u get. 100+ hp, billet crank, hyd clutch, super strong improved cases and elec start !

S
Feb 15, 2015
CO, western slope
I thought I heard mention of at least a balanced crank, but a counter balancer would be ideal so you don't destroy your frame and kit.
This will likely be in my garage in a few more years unless there is something on the table as far as an actual purpose built bike that matches what I envision one to be.

I would much rather have this than a turbo four stroke. I'm still waiting to see Scott's Maico 700. I still think I would want to modify the liger to be set up properly for snow. That's going to add up. For now I'm happy with my 80 hp cr500 a bit longer, especially once I get my new frame.

R
Apr 18, 2016
A balanced crank will only be balanced for a particular rpm. i don't think they vibe that hard if they have good crank bearings and the motor mounts are tight, the only frames I see cracked are aluminum bikes with single sided head stays but I don't know a thing about snow bikes, I do ride a cr500 on average 5 hours a week for over 25 years. I wouldn't want the balancer because it would come at a cost it's either going to take chains or gears to spin and you have an extra chunk of heavy metal flying around...that cost you hp. I'd rather have all the power I can get. I also don't really like hydro clutches so I was stoked to find out they make a hydro delete kit so I can run the cable I love.

I have a few bucks in my ported out sand bike, m waiting to see how they roll out the electric start. I definitely want that for my Af singletracker, the sand bike can always use more power and I'm pretty sure these snow bikes will be the same looking forward to ripping one of these things.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Not too many true 80hp rear wheel motors. A lot of guys think they have 70-80hp but not to many do !

lundracing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2011
Rolla, ND
At 9 G's that is pretty steep. I think you would sell a ton of them if you could get the price down to 5 to 6 G's for a drop in motor.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Im but a poor pilot ! Maybe if you wanna kick in some cash my friend LOL. Anyone know where there in a 2016 Troy Lee KTM 450 roller for sale ha ha ha !!

All kidding aside i know 3 guys who have purchased the complete motors. Im hopefully gonna help set one of them up for the snow if possible and go from there. I really liked my 500 on the snow. After all the little issues were figured it was pretty tough bike to beat normally aspirated. I sold my 500 because i was given a offer i couldnt refuse. Also for my next 500 i want it in a chromoly KTM frame ! Newer gen suspension is a big plus imo ! Plus building the bike is a lot of fun !

Last edited:
R
Apr 18, 2016
Where did you get 9G's? I see 2.5 for the cylinder and 3.1 for the Case?

You have an additional G for their billet crank which puts you around $6600. I don't think that is crazy considering the case strength as well. I went out to ride my 500 one day got to the end of the driveway gave it a swift kick and snapped the right hand case....pushed it into the garage and rode my 650 for 2 months while putting that thing back together. Have kept a spare motor of 2 on the shelf since. I believe Adam had a hand in the porting for the bottom end of the Panthera cases for the Liger as well. I saw some cad drawings of the floor ports. Adam said he was setting up a 625 with a conservative tune to run on pump gas and was expecting 108-110hp. That's close to double a stock CR and depending how the power is delivered could be a beast. I'm excited to see people doing stuff to CR500's again and I think it is mostly because of this snow bike thing.

S
Feb 15, 2015
CO, western slope
A balanced crank will only be balanced for a particular rpm. i don't think they vibe that hard if they have good crank bearings and the motor mounts are tight, the only frames I see cracked are aluminum bikes with single sided head stays but I don't know a thing about snow bikes, I do ride a cr500 on average 5 hours a week for over 25 years. I wouldn't want the balancer because it would come at a cost it's either going to take chains or gears to spin and you have an extra chunk of heavy metal flying around...that cost you hp. I'd rather have all the power I can get. I also don't really like hydro clutches so I was stoked to find out they make a hydro delete kit so I can run the cable I love.

I have a few bucks in my ported out sand bike, m waiting to see how they roll out the electric start. I definitely want that for my Af singletracker, the sand bike can always use more power and I'm pretty sure these snow bikes will be the same looking forward to ripping one of these things.

So far I have preferred the cable clutch vs hydraulic as well.

Premium Features