• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Avid Products Carb Heater, APT and PWK

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
That's a good question for Avid. It's a 36 pwk. Not sure if there is a size difference for the bell between the 36 and 38. I'm guessing they are the same. My only concern would be the bump at back of the float bowl, not sure if it gets in the way on that year.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Does that mean the stock 300 carb heat kit would also work on the new 38mm APT carb?

What do you mean by "stock carb heat kit"? If you are asking about the KTM electric carb heater, no. It is insufficient on both the stock PWK and the Smart Carb. I have drilled and tapped an access point on the Smart Carb to accept the KTM electric heat probe. Yes, it can be installed. No, not sufficient heat in a worst case scenario.

Last edited:

J800

Lifetime Membership
Oct 27, 2008
Redmond Washington
Sorry I meant the Avid carb heat Kit for the stock 300 carb.
Is it the same kit as the 38mm billet smart carb kit from Avid.
The reason I ask is I would like to buy a smart carb next year does that mean I would have to buy a different Avid kit or would they switch over.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Sorry I meant the Avid carb heat Kit for the stock 300 carb.
Is it the same kit as the 38mm billet smart carb kit from Avid.
The reason I ask is I would like to buy a smart carb next year does that mean I would have to buy a different Avid kit or would they switch over.

No, one heater will not fit both. They have different O.D."s

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I know some have been asking for a complete kit picture. Here is a Smarty flange and a 15mm stat. Cheers

so75ua.jpg

Robbie

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
Avid has just completed building our first heater unit for the Keihin FCR carb. It came out pretty nice. These are available. Now if someone would just send us a cast smart carb. to work on.
Just putting the finishing touches on a heater unit for the Cast Smart Carb. These kits will be available Monday 24th. Will post some pictures.

Summitseeker

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2001
British Columbia
Any of you guys run the Avid kit without a thermostat? My thermostat failed yesterday and I am debating putting a new one in or just leaving it open. Thoughts?

the gman

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2012
We ran in waist deep powder today and without a carb rap both smarties experienced some slide sticking. One was on a kx500 and one was on a ktm 300. 100 percent better than last year but will have to rap carb in light powder. I would not remove the thermostat. What happened to it??? Stick closed ???

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
We ran in waist deep powder today and without a carb rap both smarties experienced some slide sticking. One was on a kx500 and one was on a ktm 300. 100 percent better than last year but will have to rap carb in light powder. I would not remove the thermostat. What happened to it??? Stick closed ???

Are you saying with carb heat you has slide sticking ?

Lets hear some temps with the Avid tstat. Up trail temps and deep snow temps. If you had slide sticking with the smarty and heater with tstat the stat isnt doing anyting most likely imo. Is the heater not getting to temp ? Interesting for sure. I'll start another thread for the temp stats. Thx

Last edited:

the gman

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2012
Going up the trail 25 degrees. Thermostat ran 130. Out in powder later in the day, slide sticking, my trail tec gauge does not register below 100 degrees( vapor) and my gauge never showed temp all afternoon. Will check thermostat tommorow. Anyone else have this happen

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
25 degrees ? Are you saying in the deep 130F. Sorry its kinda hard to follow.

Summitseeker

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2001
British Columbia

I ordered the trail tech computer with the Avid kit. The probe for the gauge screws into the end of the aluminum thermostat housing, however it only leaves a small space for the thermostat to open. ( see pic below)

There's about five hours of riding time on the bike but because the thermostat could not open properly it caused it to fail. My bike hit 324 degrees and boiled over. Very lucky I did not do damage at 324 degrees!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419309489.868798.jpg

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
temps

on the kawasaki we did avid and engine shrouds would run 190-200 pretty consistant.
day 2 of riding the thermostat stuck closed and was over 230 in a hurry. there was a possibility of the temp sensor hitting the thermo when open and could maybe cause a problem. robbie sent new thermo and it works again and also a extension to the temp sensor port to prevent possible contact. I hope its not aa bad batch of thermostats.
I have seen a few skidoo thermos fail in just a few days.
if your not getting your temps up with just the thermostat, and ill almost promise you wont spend the money on some good engine shrouds.

Premium Features