• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2 stroke builds

Draxxus

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2009
vancouver
Thinking of building an older kx 500 , would have to make a custom fit kit due to the traditional forks. This might be really beneficial because it would eliminate the chance of bending chrome tubes . Not positive but should be easy enough to modify some swing arm fit kit pieces or fab some custom ones to mount the kit itself. The other nice parts of this option is the low purchase cost 1000-3000 and that nice comfy couch of a seat.

The other build I've been thinking of, is putting a 300 sx kit on my xcw 250. Giving me the benefit of electric start with low weight and it's already outfitted with fastway pegs , soft seat and other standard goodies . It should be pretty comparable power to my current crf 450. The kit is only 800$. Come summer I can swap the little black boxs and power valve springs.

Both builds would get a smart carb if they live up to the hype.

What would you do given the choice ?

Might have to build both .....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tomk

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
I just built a kit for an 86 kx 500, just left the shop!

Oct 16, 2012
BC
there was a 500 in a aluminum frame for sale is squmish a few weeks ago on craiglist for pretty cheep may wana see if you can find it

U
Sep 12, 2010
2 strokes seem to be the way to go.

The kx is working for you Seth.
Lots more power?

She does have power. I am having a hard time getting it to the ground with the dust on crust snow. I am really happy with how well it runs. It chugs pretty well without stalling, too. I am really looking forward to getting familliar with the machine.

if it spins the track easily in good snow, I will probably step up to a bigger track -I am eyeballing 144×2.5".

D
Aug 29, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Anyone building KX500s find a way to put a thermostat in yet?

you could put a single in single out inbetween the rads and drill a decent size hole in it for a bypass. in theory when its cold would be restricted enough to keep engine temps up on cold days and should be enough flow to open in on the trail/setup snow days. also use a sheet a plastic inbetween rad and rad louvers that you can slide in and out depending on temps

Last edited:
B

Bigred1

Oct 26, 2013
Ill try that and see if it works. the first radiator may never let enough hot water up there before it overheats but its worth a try.

ravenous

Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2013
Hey Portgrinder. Thats interesting.Maybe I wasted a bunch of time on my
T-stat. Where and how are you taking your temp reading?

B

Bigred1

Oct 26, 2013
thats why you drill it. it will work and it will keep you temps more consistant

I will have the bike finally running tomorrow and see how warm it stays for a couple rides, then decide what to do from there.
So far your idea seems to be the only thing that can work with the limited space.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I think the KX and the CR are different beasts when it comes to temps etc. my CR will barely get to 110F in the powder. On the trail it can get warm goin up the trail. I have seen 180F. Even if you see 120F at the top of the head with no stats you are still getting a cooler temp at the bottom. You will have some shock cooling for sure. Im not a big fan of the holes in the stats with a bypass. I think thermobob has the right idea with sealed stats and bypass. Will know very soon !

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Hey Portgrinder. Thats interesting.Maybe I wasted a bunch of time on my
T-stat. Where and how are you taking your temp reading?

Right out of the head with one of those in line sensors everyone sells these days

Trees, powder, trail doesn't matter. Stays nice and even.

I run no t-stat on everything. Be surprised how much better it all works. I think they cause 1/2 the problems they try to solve with open/closing too quickly.

If I ever need to adjust temps I use restrictions inside the rad hoses. Use a smaller piece of pipe shoved inside ect. Fine tune till you got it nailed.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I think you might do good with a 2T in the powder but in the tress you're going to trench bad!!!

Why do you figure that ? My 500 is a rocket in the trees ! Gets up on the snow fast and doesn't get stuck LOL. Almost two fast in the trees in 3rd on the pipe ha ha.

I think the trick with the tstats is proper bypass which almost no one has. You need constant temps whether its a 2 or a 4. I agree that single in out stats do open and close to fast and add to shock cooling. Also I have been thinking about the pressure a fair bit as well.

I see some guys who have used the Thermobob in the 4 stroke app, have gone from unstable temps (big fluctuations) to perfect stable temps moving only a few degrees. The guys running the KTM stats with bypass seem to have issues and end up plugging the bypass off.

Portgrinder it seems like yours is the only 2T that I have seen that runs nice and warm without stats so far. The nice thing about the 2 stroke is they can take the cooler temps. I know some ice racers that ran no stats and ended up cold seizing some engines on 2T 500's because they had no stats. They do move faster though. Maybe I'll yank the stats for my next trip and see what happens. Would be interesting. I think having perfect jetting and a clean intake is probably more important than temps. Unless your a 4 stroke LOL

Last edited:
Premium Features