• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How important are good heated grips to you?

M
Mar 14, 2012
Just a question, has anyone ever tried the heated gloves. Seems like some well made heated glove liners would be a hot item in the sno world. I would even take them snow boarding, just throw a lithium ion in the camel back and go all day. Might have to look into some.

Last edited:

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
Just a question, has anyone ever tried the heated gloves. Seems like some well made heated glove liners would be a hot item in the sno world. I would even take them snow boarding, just throw a lithium ion in the camel back and go all day. Might have to look into some.

Yes.. I ran some on my ADV bike, got rained on and suffered 2nd degree burns all over my hands.
It was in heavy rain traveling at 60 mph plus, but Thats what they where made for, needles to say, I wont be going that route again.

snowbikekits.com

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Eau Claire, WI
I was told by Rick's motorsport electrics that there isn't enough room to add any copper to a '13 KTM 450 SXF stator - but I found a place that says otherwise and their high output stators should be available soon.

One precaution I took is to install a bigger battery. This should provide reserve power for starting, allow a bit more reserve power for hand warmer startup and to give any extra current a place to go under higher RPM (in theory).

I also plan on monitoring the voltage - the last thing I want to do is end up in the boonies replacing a stator!

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
I was told by Rick's motorsport electrics that there isn't enough room to add any copper to a '13 KTM 450 SXF stator - but I found a place that says otherwise and their high output stators should be available soon.

One precaution I took is to install a bigger battery. This should provide reserve power for starting, allow a bit more reserve power for hand warmer startup and to give any extra current a place to go under higher RPM (in theory).

I also plan on monitoring the voltage - the last thing I want to do is end up in the boonies replacing a stator!

WE do have the higher output SX 450 stators available now, In limited quantities, we set several guys up for a recent 24 hr race.

Last edited:
M
Mar 14, 2012
is it not like before where you could just take the xc stator and flywheel to do the job. I think 07 or something you could do this.

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
is it not like before where you could just take the xc stator and flywheel to do the job. I think 07 or something you could do this.

This ones just the stator, no flywheel change, good for 70 watts Dc power in addition to the fuel pump and CDI

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
And I assume all of the electric FI bikes use a single pole and the battery to power everything correct?

Not quite the ktm 500 is a 3 phase system with a battery as all the KTM efi's are.
(Battery not 3 phase)
all others use no battery

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Just a little side note ; I used the heated grips on sleds all the time and usually had trenched gloves and needed to change them out at least once sometimes 2 times a day.

With the snow-bike I run soft hand guards to deflect snow/wind and a pair of good Gloves by Henstra ( goretex with wool liners) now my hands stay dry and warm all day without heaters. I am up in the yukon so we ride in some cold weather as well:face-icon-small-hap

Robster

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Sweden
I would not even consider Snowbiking for a whole day without heated grips. So much nicer riding with warm hands.

Just my 2 cents.

Rob

B
Jan 23, 2012
Colorado
FWIW, if you are going to run the AME heated grips with a LiFePO4 battery I would make sure to wire it up to a source that is off when the bike is not running. The AME grips will turn themselves off when the battery reaches 12.7V. That is fine with a normal battery but a LiFePO4 at 12.7V is almost dead. See the chart from Shoria:

media.nl

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
So what's the verdict, Are these kits available yet? I would like to order the complete set.

Turkey day got in the way, it looks like they will ship on Tuesday, We will try to have them on our site by early next week.
There will be two options, One for bikes with batteries and another special kit for EFI bikes.

F

Freeride1

Dec 13, 2007
New Hampshire
I had my Penetrator made with an extra place to plug in my hand warmers for my 12 KX450. I was going to run the RSI heaters but discovered the AME lock ons so I ordered those. I am happy to read this thread reinforces my choice. I can't ride without warm hands. Impossible. I have to use latex gloves under neoprene gloves with fag bags to ride with studs in the winter.

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
Ok, I'll bite. What's different about EFI bikes that requires a different heated grip setup?

The standard setup is to run from a battery and has an auto shutdown when voltages get low. This could be an issue on the EFI bikes.
The EFI kit will have a special low voltage switch to prevent any issues.

Premium Features