• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sell the M1000 and buy a track?

H

HiWaYman92

Dec 14, 2008
Pinedale, Wyoming
So I just bought an 03 CRF 450R for summer riding. I am new to dirt biking, but I think I am catching on just fine. I have an 08 M1000 162, and rode with a 450 with a 2moto Radix track last spring. The bike whooped our sleds. This was on a set up springish day. I am sure my sled would do better in deep deep powder days, but you only get so many of them each year. If I buy a track, I can have 1 toy that I can use yaer around. What do you bike guys think of these tracks, and how much are you paying for them? Also, any suggestions are welcome.

T
Jun 27, 2008
Bend, Oregon
If you want to ride alot and hard with a snowbike bit I would get a bike with a more reliable valve train, imho. For the price($4,500 is what I saw) of the kit's you can buy a nice sled and be able to have to hobbys in stead of just one. But personally I don't think that a snow bike would scratch the itch that snowmobiles do, nothing like a all or bust sidehill! I ride and race motorcycles offroad and I wouldn't even consider a snowbike, I snowmobile because it's different and can be more challenaging in the situations I get myself in.

Just my opinion.

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
If you want to ride alot and hard with a snowbike bit I would get a bike with a more reliable valve train, imho. For the price($4,500 is what I saw) of the kit's you can buy a nice sled and be able to have to hobbys in stead of just one. But personally I don't think that a snow bike would scratch the itch that snowmobiles do, nothing like a all or bust sidehill! I ride and race motorcycles offroad and I wouldn't even consider a snowbike, I snowmobile because it's different and can be more challenaging in the situations I get myself in.

Just my opinion.

If you havent tried it how would you know??? You are correct on the CRF valve issues.
that being said.. I dont think you would be happy with only the bike kit. they are alot of fun in the right conditions, much more than a sled, but there are limitations..deep powder and steep hills are a bad combo for the bikes...

Last edited:

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
riding type

It really comes down to the type of riding you do and the terrain. I have rode both and had both, now just the hawks and bikes. The bikes are best for lower speed tight technical riding. They rip on the trails too, but if you like to ride wide open areas alot stick to a sled or hawk. I think you can find used exporer kits for around 2K and Some new ones for 3K. These can be used on any bike with only the purchase of a 250.oo or so dollar adapter kit. The 2moto kits are around 45oo.oo new and are model specific. I love the one skis and plan on adding a kit to a crf250r that I have at the moment.

A
Mar 4, 2008
So I just bought an 03 CRF 450R for summer riding. I am new to dirt biking, but I think I am catching on just fine. I have an 08 M1000 162, and rode with a 450 with a 2moto Radix track last spring. The bike whooped our sleds. This was on a set up springish day. I am sure my sled would do better in deep deep powder days, but you only get so many of them each year. If I buy a track, I can have 1 toy that I can use yaer around. What do you bike guys think of these tracks, and how much are you paying for them? Also, any suggestions are welcome.

The CRF450 is a good bike, but the valve train is a problem on those. I have a Explorer kit on a KTM530 and it works flawless. It was less expensive than the 2 Moto and seemed to work great. During the Hawk fest, a bunch of Moto guys went exploring, and we found some serious deep powder. It was probally the most fun I had all year. They work awesome in the Deep. Just not so good on the steep. They side hill for as long as you want. And in the trees are amazing. You can expect to pay 3,000.00 retail for a Explorer. And they will fit on any bike with a diffrent fit kit. Not sure how much the other kits cost right now. Good luck...

H

HiWaYman92

Dec 14, 2008
Pinedale, Wyoming
I think I am more interested in the 2 moto, it is 30 some pounds lighter, and looks to be engineered better (in my opinion by looking at pictures.) Anyone have a used one for sale that will fit my 450? Also, if I end up really liking the snow bike thing, I will probably buy a new honda 450 efi next year, will the track fit on it too, or will they be different?

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
I think I am more interested in the 2 moto, it is 30 some pounds lighter, and looks to be engineered better (in my opinion by looking at pictures.) Anyone have a used one for sale that will fit my 450? Also, if I end up really liking the snow bike thing, I will probably buy a new honda 450 efi next year, will the track fit on it too, or will they be different?

Cant speak for the 2010 Honda, but a buddy swapped his 2moto from a Honda 450 to a new zuki 450 with only a minimal amount of parts, bushings etc.. The difference in the 2kits is easy to spot with them sitting side by side,
they both have their strong points. The Explorer works great on trails as the front ski makes it a much more stable platform. In the rough, or over jumps/ whoops the 2moto kicks its butt.

A
Mar 4, 2008
Cant speak for the 2010 Honda, but a buddy swapped his 2moto from a Honda 450 to a new zuki 450 with only a minimal amount of parts, bushings etc.. The difference in the 2kits is easy to spot with them sitting side by side,
they both have their strong points. The Explorer works great on trails as the front ski makes it a much more stable platform. In the rough, or over jumps/ whoops the 2moto kicks its butt.

Lets not get into this again. The 2 Moto kits do a little better in the rough. the Explorer kits do a little better in the deep just chugging along. Overall they are both great kits that deserve a lot of kudo's for just being there. I wish I could have tried your kit at Hawk fest. But you bailed on us when we got into the nasty stuff. I would have loved to seen that thing in action. we were in the very deep and kinda steep white stuff. You missed it... Maybe next year???? I think the perfect combo would be the 2 Moto rear and the Explorer front. On a turbo anything. O Yea lets make the retail price $2500.00 that would be perfect.

T
Jun 27, 2008
Bend, Oregon
If you havent tried it how would you know??? You are correct on the CRF valve issues.
that being said.. I dont think you would be happy with only the bike kit. they are alot of fun in the right conditions, much more than a sled, but there are limitations..deep powder and steep hills are a bad combo for the bikes...

I have no want to ride one, if I want to ride a bike it will be in dirt, on tight, steep singletrack and plus the two draw backs of snowbikes are my favorite things, steep and deep. If they aren't good off trail, then where do you ride them, on trail? I would imagine riding a snowbike on a snowmobile trail would be just like riding a dirt bike on quad trails, boring or you have to go 70mph+ just to be mildly challenaged, let alone worring about yahoo's hitting you head on, thanks but no thanks.

:face-icon-small-coo

D

Dobber1

Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
I have no want to ride one, if I want to ride a bike it will be in dirt, on tight, steep singletrack and plus the two draw backs of snowbikes are my favorite things, steep and deep. If they aren't good off trail, then where do you ride them, on trail? I would imagine riding a snowbike on a snowmobile trail would be just like riding a dirt bike on quad trails, boring or you have to go 70mph+ just to be mildly challenaged, let alone worring about yahoo's hitting you head on, thanks but no thanks.

I think your closet door has louvres...?

A
Mar 4, 2008

Your way way off. I also race in the summer full time. Harescrambles and enduros. To tell you the truth I would rather ride my snowbike. Its a boondocking fool. You wouldn't and couldn't catch me on a sled in the woods. In fact my challenge has been if you can follow me for 30 seconds I will give you a kit.:face-icon-small-sho Plus who says they dont work in the deep. Thats were they shine. The will climb, just not straight up. I can out side hill any sled in any terrain. Try one before you think you know how they work, you will be suprised.

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
not bashing but id like to see a video of a bike going uphill in deep pow

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
Lets not get into this again. The 2 Moto kits do a little better in the rough. the Explorer kits do a little better in the deep just chugging along. Overall they are both great kits that deserve a lot of kudo's for just being there. I wish I could have tried your kit at Hawk fest. But you bailed on us when we got into the nasty stuff. I would have loved to seen that thing in action. we were in the very deep and kinda steep white stuff. You missed it... Maybe next year???? I think the perfect combo would be the 2 Moto rear and the Explorer front. On a turbo anything. O Yea lets make the retail price $2500.00 that would be perfect.

Sorry I didnt mean to be bashing your kit.Dont think I did?? The day I "Bailed" after leaving you guys in the whoops was a mechanical failure on my KTM.. You guys left me there to limp my bike back after an hour on the hill. Guys I ride with would have tried to figure out what happened?? I think both bike kits are good, the combo has been done and works fantastic..
I have several days of riding with and on both kits.. You are a talented rider and should try the other offerings, you might think a bit different.

Why are you on here then?? not interested thats cool..Leave the fun to us..

T
May 25, 2008
Oroville Washington
Not trying to hijack the thread but I use to be a non believer about the bikes...now I will be using one full time for the nasty boondocking I love to do.

I am selling the 2moto kits...They are a great kit that is well engineered and seems to work great. They are lighter than the competitors kits and that was enough to tip me towards them.

I will make the BEST deals on 2moto kits. Contact me for pricing!!

Jake

A
Mar 4, 2008
Sorry I didnt mean to be bashing your kit.Dont think I did?? The day I "Bailed" after leaving you guys in the whoops was a mechanical failure on my KTM.. You guys left me there to limp my bike back after an hour on the hill. Guys I ride with would have tried to figure out what happened?? I think both bike kits are good, the combo has been done and works fantastic..
I have several days of riding with and on both kits.. You are a talented rider and should try the other offerings, you might think a bit different.

Why are you on here then?? not interested thats cool..Leave the fun to us..

Didn't know you broke. and I remember us stopping and asking if you needed any help and you said no. Sorry if we left you... I do want to try the other kits. Thats why I was bummed when you weren't there in the fun stuff. O well maybe next year. I am only loyal to a product that works good. I have no problems switching it up. I have had every kind of bike. They all have there downfalls. I really really want to try the 2 Moto. Yours is the only one Iv'e seen. It didn't seem to work any better than our kit. I dunno. I have nothing but visual to base it on.

A
Mar 4, 2008
not bashing but id like to see a video of a bike going uphill in deep pow

I have no videos of such things. Mostly cause I'm in areas where sleds can't get to. :D Really Really. I met 2 kids out in Crested Butte this last winter. They were saying that they thought the bike wouldnt work. I gave them the same story as everyone. follow me for 30 seconds and I will give you a kit. There eyes light up and they were thinking a new free toy. So off we went. I bombed off the main trail into some untouched snow. Side hilled a little bit through some trees and came back down. I turned around thinking that wasn't to hard. They were no where to be found. I went back and they were both very stuck. First thing they said was. That was sick. By the end of the day they both said they would not come back unless they were on a bike. True story...

Premium Features