For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Polaris: AXYS 2016 AXYS chassis

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2017, 07:47 PM
Currently: Not set.
MTsled3 has a reputation beyond reputeMTsled3 has a reputation beyond reputeMTsled3 has a reputation beyond reputeMTsled3 has a reputation beyond reputeMTsled3 has a reputation beyond reputeMTsled3 has a reputation beyond reputeMTsled3 has a reputation beyond reputeMTsled3 has a reputation beyond reputeMTsled3 has a reputation beyond reputeMTsled3 has a reputation beyond reputeMTsled3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sled used to have turbo, what to look out for?

So this past weekend my dad went down to Wyoming and bought a used 2017 axys from a dealer. It's in overall pretty good shape, but when I was looking it over today i noticed a Boondocker plate on the front right footwell area. I didn't think much of it, figured it was just a brace, but then it dawned on me that the boondocker turbos have the exhaust exit there. I put my hand up underneath, and sure enough, there was a hole cut out under the plate. I would have gone with him to look at it but i couldn't make down there, and he's not one who really knows what to look for with these.

Haven't contacted the dealer yet about them lying to my dad about the sled, and i feel like it won't go anywhere with it being used, so I'm wondering what i should check on it since it used to be turbo'd. Another worry is that the warranty won't do us any good if something goes wrong with it due to it having permanent evidence of a turbo.... hoping he didn't get screwed on this deal
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171211_173039.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	289610  

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 12-11-2017, 07:59 PM
Currently: ND. Meatball Crew
FatDogX has a reputation beyond reputeFatDogX has a reputation beyond reputeFatDogX has a reputation beyond reputeFatDogX has a reputation beyond reputeFatDogX has a reputation beyond reputeFatDogX has a reputation beyond reputeFatDogX has a reputation beyond reputeFatDogX has a reputation beyond reputeFatDogX has a reputation beyond reputeFatDogX has a reputation beyond reputeFatDogX has a reputation beyond repute

It would be interesting as to what they told him or if he even asked "if it previously had a turbo"???

As far as what to check, kinda depends on the miles to start with??

Just to name a few,
Belt - obvious wear, probably replace
Primary - new spring and check over the weight bushings and clean it up
Secondary - new spring and maybe check what helix is in there and clean it
Reeds - check for chips or cracks
Rear suspension - check it over, grease real good.
Check the airbox / intake and make sure everything was put back together correctly.
Double check wires and other lines and make sure nothing is rubbing or worn.
Legend Enclosed Trailer (the toy box)

The Following User Says Thank You to FatDogX For This Useful Post:
MTsled3 (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 08:20 PM
MTsled3 has a reputation beyond reputeMTsled3 has a reputation beyond reputeMTsled3 has a reputation beyond reputeMTsled3 has a reputation beyond reputeMTsled3 has a reputation beyond reputeMTsled3 has a reputation beyond reputeMTsled3 has a reputation beyond reputeMTsled3 has a reputation beyond reputeMTsled3 has a reputation beyond reputeMTsled3 has a reputation beyond reputeMTsled3 has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt he asked about a turbo, not something I'd even think to ask honestly unless i saw something that raised a red flag (which when i did, it was too late)
They showed him the little dings it had, not bad at all, but the guy who made the deal in the end (not the guy we had talked to originally) didn't know anything about the sled. All he could find out from the him was that some guy from Iowa buys a sled from them every year and rides it in Wyoming, then trades it in on a new one.

It has 769 miles on it. Last night when my dad showed it to me, it wouldn't idle on its own until it was completely warm (which it didn't do at the dealer or when he unloaded it from the pickup)
So i was thinking bad gas or possibly tps.

Today i rode it in the fields around the house and it bogged down bad so i checked the plugs and one was fouled. No spares so i grabbed the spares from my sled and threw them in and it ran perfect and idles on its own now at 1700-1800 rpms.

It was dirty from sitting in the dealer's lot so i decided to wash it and that's when i noticed the plate on the tunnel. There was also something sticky on the lower part of each side panel, and I'm willing to bet there used to be Boondocker stickers there

Last edited by MTsled3; 12-11-2017 at 08:30 PM.

Old 12-11-2017, 08:48 PM
Basic Member
ElasDray is an unknown quantity at this point

That’s a bummer the dealer didn’t disclose that it previously had a turbo. Hopefully you got it at a good price

The Following User Says Thank You to ElasDray For This Useful Post:
MTsled3 (12-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 12:10 AM
Basic Member
sumtinwong has a reputation beyond reputesumtinwong has a reputation beyond reputesumtinwong has a reputation beyond reputesumtinwong has a reputation beyond reputesumtinwong has a reputation beyond reputesumtinwong has a reputation beyond reputesumtinwong has a reputation beyond reputesumtinwong has a reputation beyond reputesumtinwong has a reputation beyond reputesumtinwong has a reputation beyond reputesumtinwong has a reputation beyond repute

im not saying its ok that the dealer{or any one for that matter} did not disclose that fact!! but if the compression is equal and good you shouldn't have anything to worry about 800 boosted miles aaaa check normal wear spots and pin that thing. bd kits are plug and play unless the previous owner was riding at sea-level he hade just a little more HP than stock {sea-level HP}in the hills. I think you will be OK

The Following User Says Thank You to sumtinwong For This Useful Post:
MTsled3 (12-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 07:11 AM
Currently: Sled shopping...
Basic Member
Red Mtn has a reputation beyond reputeRed Mtn has a reputation beyond reputeRed Mtn has a reputation beyond reputeRed Mtn has a reputation beyond reputeRed Mtn has a reputation beyond reputeRed Mtn has a reputation beyond reputeRed Mtn has a reputation beyond reputeRed Mtn has a reputation beyond reputeRed Mtn has a reputation beyond reputeRed Mtn has a reputation beyond reputeRed Mtn has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't buy a Polaris motor in anything without a compression check first. Since the motors are only good for about 1200 miles stock in my experience, one turbo'ed for 800 miles would have me running for the door.

I would do everything in my power to back that deal out for lack of disclosure. If he has to have an Axys, I have a 16 with a new factory motor 200 miles ago, new power valve cable, new motor mounts and a new primary clutch with new spring and weights. Always stock, good for another 1000 miles!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Red Mtn For This Useful Post:
MTsled3 (12-12-2017), Sheetmetalfab (12-13-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 09:03 AM

Thanks for the replies, i searched the previous owner on Facebook and found a sale post from over the summer. He said the turbo had been on for 400 miles but he just removed it, and the sled had 600 when he posted that. It had a new set of rings when the turbo was removed.

I imagine the dealer we bought it from would honor the warranty if something happened, they actually bought extra warranty for the sled, but it's a 6 hour drive one way. My dad sent an email last night and he's gonna call the guy today and see what they can work out, may be taking it back next weekend since this was going to be one he planned on keeping a long time.

Old 12-12-2017, 10:04 AM
Currently: Loving my Silber Turbo!
AKFULLTHROTTLE has a reputation beyond reputeAKFULLTHROTTLE has a reputation beyond reputeAKFULLTHROTTLE has a reputation beyond reputeAKFULLTHROTTLE has a reputation beyond reputeAKFULLTHROTTLE has a reputation beyond reputeAKFULLTHROTTLE has a reputation beyond reputeAKFULLTHROTTLE has a reputation beyond reputeAKFULLTHROTTLE has a reputation beyond reputeAKFULLTHROTTLE has a reputation beyond reputeAKFULLTHROTTLE has a reputation beyond reputeAKFULLTHROTTLE has a reputation beyond repute

Should be fine, we run turbos from day one with thousands of miles with zero issues. Make sure it was properly put back to stock with all the proper clutching and ride it. Or add a turbo since its ready for it!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AKFULLTHROTTLE For This Useful Post:
MTsled3 (12-12-2017), sumtinwong (12-13-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 11:09 AM
Currently: Too many sleds, not enough time
Basic Member
MrIQR has a reputation beyond reputeMrIQR has a reputation beyond reputeMrIQR has a reputation beyond reputeMrIQR has a reputation beyond reputeMrIQR has a reputation beyond reputeMrIQR has a reputation beyond reputeMrIQR has a reputation beyond reputeMrIQR has a reputation beyond reputeMrIQR has a reputation beyond reputeMrIQR has a reputation beyond reputeMrIQR has a reputation beyond repute

The fact that it had a turbo on it doesn't bother me, the fact that they failed to disclose that it did does. I'm sure that if that had been disclosed to your father prior to him purchasing he would not have.

If he does keep it, I would replace the reeds now and pistons this summer, then ride happily ever after.

The Following User Says Thank You to MrIQR For This Useful Post:
MTsled3 (12-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 12:40 PM
Currently: Keyboard highmarking at its best.
jim has a reputation beyond reputejim has a reputation beyond reputejim has a reputation beyond reputejim has a reputation beyond reputejim has a reputation beyond reputejim has a reputation beyond reputejim has a reputation beyond reputejim has a reputation beyond reputejim has a reputation beyond reputejim has a reputation beyond reputejim has a reputation beyond repute

I think that is messed up that they didn't disclose it had a turbo. Lots of turbo sleds are just fine and run a long time...but it only takes one stupid event to change that. Clutching is definitely suspect...probably ready for primary rebuild...or getting there from what I've seen from clutches. And is definitely tougher on pistons...as has been said, probably a good idea to swap those. That the dealer did rings tells me it was low on compression and they wanted to save money and get it out the door. But compression is more obvious...what else was wrong and less obvious that they didn't fix? I would be pushing back on the dealer to rebuild the clutches and include new pistons at a minimum. If not a full return.

The Following User Says Thank You to jim For This Useful Post:
MTsled3 (12-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 07:57 PM
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

Old 12-12-2017, 07:59 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 12-12-2017, 08:45 PM
Currently: Modding pro
revrider07 has a reputation beyond reputerevrider07 has a reputation beyond reputerevrider07 has a reputation beyond reputerevrider07 has a reputation beyond reputerevrider07 has a reputation beyond reputerevrider07 has a reputation beyond reputerevrider07 has a reputation beyond reputerevrider07 has a reputation beyond reputerevrider07 has a reputation beyond reputerevrider07 has a reputation beyond reputerevrider07 has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to revrider07 For This Useful Post:
MTsled3 (12-13-2017)
Old 12-18-2017, 04:34 PM
Currently: counting spuds
Turbotater has a reputation beyond reputeTurbotater has a reputation beyond reputeTurbotater has a reputation beyond reputeTurbotater has a reputation beyond reputeTurbotater has a reputation beyond reputeTurbotater has a reputation beyond reputeTurbotater has a reputation beyond reputeTurbotater has a reputation beyond reputeTurbotater has a reputation beyond reputeTurbotater has a reputation beyond reputeTurbotater has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 12-26-2017, 09:23 AM
Currently: Sled shopping...
Basic Member
Red Mtn has a reputation beyond reputeRed Mtn has a reputation beyond reputeRed Mtn has a reputation beyond reputeRed Mtn has a reputation beyond reputeRed Mtn has a reputation beyond reputeRed Mtn has a reputation beyond reputeRed Mtn has a reputation beyond reputeRed Mtn has a reputation beyond reputeRed Mtn has a reputation beyond reputeRed Mtn has a reputation beyond reputeRed Mtn has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 12-26-2017, 11:50 AM
Currently: Payin' the dough to play in the snow
aksledjunkie has disabled reputation

Click Here to Register

Old 12-26-2017, 01:54 PM
Currently: CONTEMPLATING: "Laughter is gods hand on a troubled world.".
Thanked 8,917 Times in 3,961 Posts
mountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mountainhorse For This Useful Post:
JJ_0909 (12-26-2017), turbolover (12-27-2017)