• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

A Arm Ball Joint Removal

J
Dec 24, 2008
So I bent a lower A Arm and decided to switch to a Z Broz set up but did not get the ball joints pre pressed since it wasnt an option where i bought them. So my question is what is/are the best way(s) to get them removed and put back in? Thanks in advance

A
Mar 14, 2011
Saskatoon, SK
I've been down this path and concluded the best solution is to not buy Zbroz arms. I wish I had stuck with Alt Impact - far better solution. I ended up creating so much slop in two of my ball joints that I had to buy replacements. Plus once you rob the ball joints from your stock arms, they are practically worthless on the used market and no longer useful to carry around as spares on a trip.

Oh, and you have to modify your spindles for the Zbroz arms, which is ridiculous.

JAW

Lifetime Membership
Sep 30, 2009
Kettle Falls, Steamboat Springs, CO
I've been down this path and concluded the best solution is to not buy Zbroz arms. I wish I had stuck with Alt Impact - far better solution. I ended up creating so much slop in two of my ball joints that I had to buy replacements. Plus once you rob the ball joints from your stock arms, they are practically worthless on the used market and no longer useful to carry around as spares on a trip.

Oh, and you have to modify your spindles for the Zbroz arms, which is ridiculous.

Do you have pictures of the spindles modification? If not, could you elaborate on what and how your're modifying them?

I just got my Zbroz 36" kit and have been struggling putting everything back together. I had to pay a local machine shop to press my ball joints and it now appears there is more slop in them than a guy would like. (not blaming the machine shop or zbroz)

I am also running stock shocks which makes me a bit nervous after reading through other posts. Some guys are saying it changes the geometry of the sled by up to an 1 1/2." Does anybody have any straight talk on running stock shocks on 36" set up? I see on the zbroz website that they don't recommend running stock shocks which sounds fairly clear to me lol. The only reason I'm asking is because the guy I purchased them from said that I could run them without sending them off to be shortened.

I'm at fault for not doing my homework before ordering this kit but I was hoping that in buying this set up it would be a straight "bolt on" kit. I'm learning this is not that case but I am also learning that it is hard to find any detailed instructions on how install this set up with stock spindles and shocks. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

G
Feb 4, 2012
NW Wisc.
I have a 36 inch Zbroz kit on my sled and I love them. There's a lot of great options out there as far as other A Arms, but I liked the look and quality of the Zbroz. I had the local sled shop in the area install it because of the ball joint, but you could take the stock arms to a dealer and have them press it out for a small amount of money. Thats what a buddy of mine did.

As far as the shocks and spindles go, you can run stock shocks with the kit. I do that right now while I'm waiting on my Exit shocks from ZBroz. Haven't noticed any negative change in performance, so I'm satisfied. You will need to grind down the spindles where the lower arm attaches, otherwise they will bind when you put pressure on one side or the other in a carve. I solved that problem by buying new spindles, but grinding them would be a two minute job.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
How not to destroy the ball joints

When pressing the ball joints in or out DO NOT press on the center (Ball) portion!

That is what causes the excessive slop as it compresses the anti friction material between the ball and the outer race.

Premium Features