• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2015 m8 162 ltd trenching

K

killerrf

Nov 27, 2007
sk
My sled is completely all stock even can. Sled revs 8150 to 8200.
I find the thing trenches huge and doesn't want to stay
On top of snow. Unlike the 14 pro rmk 163 I tried. That thing would soak up any bumps at bottom of hill and wouldn't loose momentum and go to the top
Mine hits the bottom and then front end wants to Pop up and loose all momentum then trench to China and doesn't go where the polaris does.
Now I don't know if it's strictly due to the weight difference in sleds or what.
I rode both sleds on same hill cutting new lines and polaris just seemed to stay on snow. I've always thought for a stock 800 162 2.6 powerclaw lug is too much for the eng. maybe a more traditional power lug like 2.5 extreme better? Sled just needs to stay on snow better. Was definitely gettin the gears from the polaris guys. Ha.

L

leadfoot33

Aug 31, 2010
Prince George BC
play with ur suspension settings if ur getting the front end in the air your not going forward limiter straps tighten them down one or raise ur rear pressure in ur shock . the track is not the issue. where are you standing on the running boards the sled is sensitive to that as well. its not the weight difference its all in your setup play with th ings try things everyone is scared to do so myself included until this year and what a different sled you can make these things by chaning air pressure in the rear shock addin gor taking spring pressure away on the front skid shock.

lundracing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2011
Rolla, ND
suck you limiter strap up one hole tighter and let some pressure out of your back air shock. Down to 120 lbs or so. let your front suspension shock air pressure down to about 65. It should help a ton. I messed around with mine a ton this winter and this seemed to be the ideal setup to maintain somewhat of a light front end feel but keep it from trenching. tighten your limiter strap up one hole at a time and try it with the air setting I gave you. One hole makes a big difference on handling.

K

killerrf

Nov 27, 2007
sk
Ok thanks for the replies. I will only get to try things next winter this was the last trip. So I will have fiddle with things more.
Not sure on exact psi in rear shock but it is stiff. Front skid shock spring tension was backed all the way off. Sled worked great just was a little annoyed that it couldnt climb at least equal. Grenaded a belt also but I'm sure that was due to no stopping for cool downs. Ha. Have to run 083 belts instead.

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
Best advise I can give on the Proclimbs is to stand as far forward on the boards as you can while climbing. Standing with you feet on the back of the boards seems to kill momentum and run way too much ski lift.

My 2009 was awesome standing on the back of the boards, but it took some getting used to standing up front so much.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
My 14 will kill the pro,

I put a 3" on and geared it up and it will kill the pro bad. it does wheelie at times but I also run the 13 skid location. Still dominates the pro but I ride it different and keep it from wheelieing to much. Going to add a full KMOD

Try this
rear shock 150psi
front skid shock 3/8" pre load
limiter all the way out
bars all the way down
stand forward

if it still wheelies to much get a kmod conversion and it will really kill the pro

I can't stand the suspension on my 15 pro. I can still ride the chit out of it but holy crap those springs and shocks are a freaking joke!

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Try this
rear shock 150psi
limiter all the way out
bars all the way down
stand forward
................!

This is how my 14 153" is set up and I've had no problems climbing with and occasionally out climbing the 163" pros I've rode with.

Thunder101

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
140/150 psi in the rear shock is a must. Maybe the 16 skid will be the fix, think they said the front arm is longer.

cpa

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2001
Utah
If it is trenching really really bad there is one additional thing you can check. On a brand new 13 Prolite I had the rear shock would hold 150 pounds of air but the valve or something inside were not working correctly come to find out. I tried everything in the world to keep the skis on the ground but nothing would keep the front end down and it would trench like no other. Stock 14 Cats would absolutly destroy it, the Prolite couldn't even follow the 14's in a track. After 10 rides of continually messing with suspension changes and nothing helping I just decided the rear shock had to be blown out. It had 150 of air but I could compress it by hand when I took it out of the skid. Swapped out the shock out of one of the 14's and problem was instantly gone. Cat warrantied the shock, it has gone through the snow great since.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Is there any updates for suspension setup for 2015 M8000?

I currently have:

65 PSI Clutch side front shock
62 PSI Exhaust side front shock
145 PSI in rear track shock
3-4 threads showing under the black rings on the front track shock
Limiter Strap in the stock middle position (Stock Position)
Skid mounted in the stock 2015 holes both front and rear

Are there any suggested changes based on what you may have learned?

bopper

Premium Member
Apr 28, 2008
elkford,bc
My 14 will kill the pro,

I put a 3" on and geared it up and it will kill the pro bad. it does wheelie at times but I also run the 13 skid location. Still dominates the pro but I ride it different and keep it from wheelieing to much. Going to add a full KMOD

Try this

rear shock 150psi

limiter all the way out

bars all the way down

stand forward

if it still wheelies to much get a kmod conversion and it will really kill the pro

I can't stand the suspension on my 15 pro. I can still ride the chit out of it but holy crap those springs and shocks are a freaking joke!

If a guy has a rear coil over as well how many threads showing would you suggest?

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Is there anything new on this topic?

Has anyone figured out what front shock and rear skid settings work best with the 2016 front end on sleds with 2012-2015 rear skids?

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Is there anything new on this topic?

Has anyone figured out what front shock and rear skid settings work best with the 2016 front end on sleds with 2012-2015 rear skids?

Should be the same as far as straight line trenching goes. The new stock front end only moves the skis about a 1/2 forward compared to 2012-2015 so weight distribution will be very close front to rear if all other things are constant.

K

killerrf

Nov 27, 2007
sk
I haven’t made it to the mountains in a few years to retry settings... last week first time in a few years logged into snowest too��
Been looking at ‘18 polaris 174 3” ha.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
My 153 cat has out climbed 163 polaris and doos everytime. Suspension is such a huge factor in the way a sled performs.
Suspension on the cat is definitely better than polaris. Make adjustments on the hill. Keep making changes till it handles the way u want.

Mountain Cat

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
I haven’t made it to the mountains in a few years to retry settings... last week first time in a few years logged into snowest too��
Been looking at ‘18 polaris 174 3” ha.

you would be the only person i have heard of that thought this was the year to jump ship to polaris.

Premium Features