• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

COMPRESSOR SURGE IN MY MTNTK AXYS TURBO KIT... AND WHAT TO DO?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Double D....

I guess we disagree then.
That tube is what... maybe 8 or 9 inches long on this sled??... Has an I'd of 3/16"...

My take....IMO... my 2¢
So long as the oriface on the fitting mounted to the reeds is sufficient...as well as on the CRV... and there are no kinks or defects in the hose... The engine moves enough air volume to pull a vacuum (or pressurize) the CRV in micro-seconds.

Is there some scientific/quantifiable nanosecond interval that of delay from the time of pressure change to the time of CRV opening/closing... of course... but I don't think it would be perceivable to the rider... but then again... I don't have this kit, so I'm speculating here... Tangerine is the man to ask about that.

I am interested in hearing why this would be different at higher altitudes. (sincerely)

Good discussion.

Davajn

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2012
Sweden
www.instagram.com
tangerine_sky would you mind measure the spring that you cut? Im getting my kit in 2 days and would love to make the modification directly.

Cheers

T
Jan 4, 2011
T Sky. Any updates ? You happy with your modification?

The BOV mod is working well. It holds boost well. Been data logging it holding at 9-9.3 psi with no issues. It purges more often, removing an appropriate amount of air to prevent compressor surge 80% of the time. The stock spring would never purge or only in extremely rare instances.

I would recommend it to anyone wanting to reduce the amount of compressor surge they're experiencing.

As far as whether the turbo spools quicker or not, it's hard to tell at this point as I am already used to the new spool characteristics. Initially it did feel like it was spooling up again sooner, but honestly without data logs before hand it could just be placebo.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Any follow up on this Tangerine Sky??

Listening to Burants "Jenny Craig" turbo... LOTS of compressor surge in that one.
In a sled that seems to want to take everything to the "Nth Degree"... that surge, to me, is leaving something on the table.

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FChrisBurandt%2Fvideos%2F1385590818171885%2F&show_text=0&width=400" width="400" height="400" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

Last edited:
J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Any follow up on this Tangerine Sky??

Listening to Burants "Jenny Craig" turbo... LOTS of compressor surge in that one.
In a sled that seems to want to take everything to the "Nth Degree"... that surge, to me, is leaving something on the table.

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FChrisBurandt%2Fvideos%2F1385590818171885%2F&show_text=0&width=400" width="400" height="400" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

Sled is a beast. Wish I knew his suspension setup...seems to get a ton of transfer on that 165 without megatrenching

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
I believe he uses the Skinz ARC on his sleds. Which why sometimes hes in full wheelie mode, then having controllable ski lift the next moment.

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
Reviving this as i was doing research for my mtntk kit when it arrives. If low vaccum is an issue.in my last turbo kit I put together in my pro I ran a vac signal from BOTH throttle bodies tee'd to BOV, signal was between throttle body and reed. I feel post reed would get pressure pulses and not a clean vaccum compared to pre reed. Never had surge and the spring was far from light.

Thoughts? I'm really thinking of drilling and tapping into both throttle bodies then move onto spring changes if required

Davajn

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2012
Sweden
www.instagram.com
I actually changed mid season last year from postreed to prereed. And after i had the reeds up i saw that drilling in the side of the reeds that mtntk instructs, aint such a good way to do it. When you drill it you will destroy the rubber gasket and you will have a possible point of leakage.

Now i only tapped into one rubber boot and it made some difference. But i've also cut the spring for the blow off valve abit. That made the most difference to be honest.

Might do as you said with drill n tap both rubber boots prereeds. That should give a more stable and stronger vacuum reference line.

X
Oct 8, 2009
The video on compressor surge is wrong. The turbine shaft actually speeds up during surge; it does not slow down. Therefore, it won't really affect respool. But, dont get lost in the details. To fix the issue, you need to get a better vaccum signal or fatigue the spring in the bov (i.e. soften the spring). However, it seems as though you have dont this by cutting the spring instead.

To address another issue, Mtntek is incorrect as well. Airbox volume will not cause surge, it will only reduce pressure fluctuation in relation to the additional volume.

Last edited:
Premium Features