• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2013 XM 154 800R E-Tech ????

R
Nov 16, 2016
I just bought a nice clean, 1,200 mile, near pristine condition, 2013 XM 154" track 800R E-Tech and w/ T-Motion.
It is basically all stock.

The previous owner damaged the track by using an incorrect style aluminum loading ramp (he apparently ripped several paddles off).
The new track has not yet seen snow.

We see no problem history when the VIN was run.

Questions:
What would be your concerns (if any) regarding this machine?
Any changes that I should make?

I am in my late 60s. I like trail riding and some hill climbing but not quite as agressively as you younger guys may do it.

Thanks in advance

Rick E.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I'd check the rear axle bolts to make sure they've got the updated locking tab washer, change the chaincase oil and enjoy it!

Mort2112

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Meridian, ID
Rear axle bolt, chaincase oil, and during preseason have the stator checked. Some MY 2014's (Like mine) had stator problems and according to my dealer some of the late 13's could have as well. Also, check the wiring harness on the handle bar for wire chafing under inside the jacket. Mine's e-start and I had some trouble with that.

Also, make sure they have done all the ECM updates.

Other than that enjoy, they are so smooth.

R
Nov 16, 2016
Thank you for the responses. Please keep em coming if you have any further suggestions.

We ran the VIN through Skidoo and no red flags appeared.

If the ECM updates have been done, would Skidoo's system have this info?
Also, if the updates have not been done, are there any issues that could cause damage?

Rick

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Rear axle bolt, chaincase oil, and during preseason have the stator checked. Some MY 2014's (Like mine) had stator problems and according to my dealer some of the late 13's could have as well. Also, check the wiring harness on the handle bar for wire chafing under inside the jacket. Mine's e-start and I had some trouble with that.

Also, make sure they have done all the ECM updates.

Other than that enjoy, they are so smooth.

Good suggestions. My 13' 800 etec flywheel came apart and took out the stator. This was not uncommon. Dealer updated my flywheel & stator to 15' specs. I just had it apart and all looked good. You can't check for this without removing the flywheel.

The flywheel would come apart due to poor glue, and a sleeve cuts the stator wires. My sled never quit running but it ran poorly anything short of WOT.

The other common issue, at least on SP (non-X) models was a handlebar that broke at the mtn bar if you looked at it wrong. Mine were bent on ride #1, I threw them away before they broke.

I bought my 13' new in the fall of 13' and have ridden it hard. At 5500 miles it needs a crank and pistons. Only non self inflicted issues have been: flywheel/stator, hairline crack at weld in rear cooler, EGT sensors, and the recoil failed around 5300 miles (not the rope). Anything else has been due to crashes or hitting rocks/logs (oops). I replace clutch parts as needed (before I have issues), and have the primary off ~monthly to clean & check, but this isn't exactly necessary.

Regular things to do: chaincase oil change, clean clutches & belt, spark plugs every 2k miles, fuel filter each year (use a Wix 33095 with fuel injection hose clamps), grease skid.

Last edited:
Premium Features