• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bad Stator Question

Nov 19, 2015
Hey all, I'm wondering if my stator is toast or possibly salvageable. I've been testing according to the manual. Everything checks out besides the highlighted coils section in my photo. I'm not getting an ohms reading for Green/Red to Green/Yellow or for Green/Red to Brown/White. However, I'm getting 15 ohms for Green/Yellow to Brown/While which isn't documented in the manual.

I have pulled the stator out and I'm getting the same readings from both the connection in front of the gas tank and on the stator itself. The housing around the two green coil wires was showing some wear, but I cut the housing and inspected the wires in that tail and they all seem to be fully covered in their housings. I have continuity from the stator to the connection on Green/Red to itself, Green/Yellow to itself, and Green/Yellow to Brown/White.

The stator looks to be in fine condition. Do I have to get a new stator since the green wires aren't showing the correct ohm reading or is there something I can do to fix this?

Thanks!

Photo: https://ibb.co/f37boG
f37boG

Last edited:

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
What made you get to that point? Do you not have any spark? Should be the pickup sensor on the stator wiring. There’s no real way to replace it others then..

1. Replace your entire stator assembly.
2. Find someone with a bad stator that can cut the wiring off and you can splice that in. (I might have one)..

But imo, if it’s not ohming out and your doing it correctly with a good fresh battery in your multimeter, then it’s a bad pickup

Nov 19, 2015
Hey guido,

Yes, I'm not getting spark or power to the coils. When you say pickup are you talking about the two black crank position sensors mounted outside the flywheel? Those have a different lead in front of the gas tank and those both ohm correctly per the CPS section of the chart in the photo.

The Green/Yellow and Green/Red wires are soldered to the back of the stator and go stright up to a different lead in front of the gas tank. These are the wires that fail the ohm tests in the coils section of the table.

I'm guessing that this isn't an isolated problem that I can fix?

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
Yeh looks like the exciter coils are bad on the stator. It would need the coils rewound. Your better off buying a good used one from here or eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
The exciter coil between the green red and green yellow is open. Look at the diagram above the resistance table and it will make sense to you. Green yellow to brown white should be 15 ohms. They just didn't list it in the table for some reason. As mentioned you should try to get a used stator. The 2006 700 should be the same as the 900.

Attachments

• 900 stator coil readings.pdf
    374.1 KB · Views: 53
Nov 19, 2015
Hey guys,

Thanks for the help! I ordered a new non factory stator from a company on eBay for $85. The ohms tolerances weren't quite as tight as the manual, but I swapped it in and the sled started right up! Wasn't even too hard fishing the plugs in and out by the motor. It seems to be running great. I'm stoked for the season! Thanks again

Premium Features