• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2 stroke builds

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
playing around with a mikuni 44 and seeing some real solid gains vs a bored pwk and a 40mm lectron. tq starts at the same rpm, is higher all the way thru and peak is 400rpm higher.

the bored pwk 39 and the lectron 40 are pretty much even.

kx500

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
might as well try and keep some of this info in the same place.

got a lectron 44 fitted up awhile back and it worked real nice. picked up ~5ish through the whole rpm range vs the bored pwk @40.5mm.

specs were almost bang on. just turned the pj in a bit and it was perfect.

might be something for fellas to look into that are running the bigger 2-strokes.

pretty good bolt on, especially if it altitude compensates. Avid makes a heater that fits right up too so thats nice

N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
coming along with my 500 now.. one of these days I'll get a first ride in hah
_MG_8259.jpg

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
teaser shot of something a few of you fellas might be interested.

The first snowbike specific pipe is being built by NPP. it loves running with snow piled on it.

4 years of testing on the snow and a pile of dyno time in an icebox. most of the testing done on a kx5 but it seems to work good on the cr as well as the ktm3.

anyhow, enough propaganda from me.

IMG_20160809_180026_edit.jpg

D

DenverSnowBike

Feb 4, 2015
Denver, CO
teaser shot of something a few of you fellas might be interested.

The first snowbike specific pipe is being built by NPP. it loves running with snow piled on it.

4 years of testing on the snow and a pile of dyno time in an icebox. most of the testing done on a kx5 but it seems to work good on the cr as well as the ktm3.

anyhow, enough propaganda from me.

I'd love to know more!! I have a Lectron 44 and a Service Honda KX500AF FMF Gnarly pipe on my setup right now

S
Mar 2, 2018
2 smokers check your stator covers for water, I pulled mine off my kx500 and it was half full of water! I can't believe it still ran! Every time I trailered it, the engine would freeze up and I couldn't kick it over, I always just thought it was moisture in the cylinder from the boondocker intake maybe letting snowe dust in, I guess I was wrong. I am lucky I didn't wreck anything,.

I can't figure out how it got in, it seemed to be sealed all the way around and rtv'd where the wires come through.

Check out the high water line on the cover
I realize this is really old, but I'm having the same issue. Have you found a good solution for sealing up the stator cover? I saw someone mentioned drilling a drain hole in the bottom. Have you tried this, and does it work? I sealed mine up with RTV, and it still gets water inside after a couple hours of powder riding.

tomk

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
I realize this is really old, but I'm having the same issue. Have you found a good solution for sealing up the stator cover? I saw someone mentioned drilling a drain hole in the bottom. Have you tried this, and does it work? I sealed mine up with RTV, and it still gets water inside after a couple hours of powder riding.
I drilled a hole in mine, when I originally made the post, it has been perfect. No issues, but I only ride the bike in the winter. I could see issues arising with dirt and mud if I rode in the summer. Seal it up with some RTV for summer use!

T
Jan 26, 2019
Pemberton BC
I drilled a hole in mine, when I originally made the post, it has been perfect. No issues, but I only ride the bike in the winter. I could see issues arising with dirt and mud if I rode in the summer. Seal it up with some RTV for summer use!

You would think cutting a little piece out of the bottom of the gasket would achieve the same result in a less permanent way.

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Assuming you’re talking kx5?

after about 4 yr I got mine to seal before I sold it.

You need to squeeze almost a whole tube of black rtv around where the wires go in. Build it right up against the case etc. You need to get in there with a little stick or something.

then you have to seal the wires too. Open up the sheath on the harness and fill that area up with rtv as well. Each individual wire needs to be sealed. Water gets into the harness and follows the wires in to the stator area.

Also drill and tap the bottom of the stator cover. Put a little bolt there so you can check after every ride.

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Also. If you have the pvl ignition on a k5 and it gets wet, the next time it gets hot (~175f coolant temp) it will leave you stranded. Happened to me twice.

They will take a small amt of moisture but if it was sitting in any amt of water you’re on borrowed time. Bringing back all sorts of bad memories now..

tomk

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
I havent had an issue since on mine, originally mine would completely freeze up over night. It took me a while to figure it out.

T
Jan 26, 2019
Pemberton BC
Assuming you’re talking kx5?

after about 4 yr I got mine to seal before I sold it.

You need to squeeze almost a whole tube of black rtv around where the wires go in. Build it right up against the case etc. You need to get in there with a little stick or something.

then you have to seal the wires too. Open up the sheath on the harness and fill that area up with rtv as well. Each individual wire needs to be sealed. Water gets into the harness and follows the wires in to the stator area.

Also drill and tap the bottom of the stator cover. Put a little bolt there so you can check after every ride.

Yeah mines a K5. I am completely sealed with lots of rtv and electrical tape. Guaranteed it's condensation. Doesn't matter if it's deep, just cold out.
I really like your idea of tapping a drain bolt. I loosen my cover every time to drain and dry as there isn't clearance to remove it with the pipe.

S
Mar 2, 2018
I only ride this bike in the winter, so I'm going to give the drain hole mod a try. Will update after this weekend. Thanks!

Premium Features