• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Good GPS Mountain Riding

Y

yzviper366

Aug 15, 2012
Bismarck, ND
Hello I would like to have a GPS for riding in the mountains. What I would use if for is basicall bavk tracking to the trail or back to the lodge incase I get lost. Also I would be using it to mark my favorite spots so I can find them again.

It doesnt have to be real fancy or anything just something that wprks well and is resonably affordable.

What brand? Model? Are you guys using? Advice? I dont really know anything about GPS units.

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
Garmin seems to be the most popular brand, but there are others.

I have used a Garmin 62S for the last few seasons and it has worked well for me. They just came out with an updated model (64S) and you can get a 62S at Cabela's and amazon for $199.

The eTrex units are also good basic GPS -

If you do a few google searches you can find online maps to download, or you build/upload your own maps as well. Garmin also sells maps or you can buy units with pre-loaded maps.

giddyup

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
deer valley sask.
gps

hands down the rino series from garmin, i used to use the 62 but the advantages of having the polling feature on the rino is great, all the good things about the garmin gps plus the ability to find lost or stuck riders who have the rino as well, all of our group now runs the rino

B
Nov 26, 2007
I have a magellan gps , just got tired of the small screen, so i took my Truck gps and loaded maps on it. find it a lot easier to read. I turn on show trip so it draws a blue line everywhere I have been.

got a ram mount for it.

fastmnstealth

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2010
Big Lake, MN
I just got a Garmin Montana 600 before my Togwotee trip a few weeks ago. So far, I like it, but still trying to figure it out. We had a guide, so I didn't really need to use it other than "tracks" for future outings. Not complicated, just different from my Lowrance H2Oc that it replaced.

It has a 4" screen, and "birdseye" views that I'm looking forward to using. This allows you to download satellite views that are overlayed. You can then see your position relative to a satellite view and then you can decide "should I" or "shouldn't I". All in theory of course, I've not used it for that yet.

I also have a RAM ball mount AND the Garmin Rugged mount which I love!

Premium Features