• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

93 EXT 550 Spindle Issue

X
Apr 26, 2011
Okay I'm trying to work on my 550 EXT. It's been abused for years be previous owners, and now I'm having a heck of a time with her.

The spindle bolts are rusted stuck in there. I've done some pounding on her to get it lose. Ended up pounding so hard on the left spindle bolt that I busted the spindle around the bushing housing area. Now I'm stuck with a busted spindle on one side, and fear of taking the other side off. I was thinking about buying new spindles for it, but really don't want to go with Aluminum. Are there any alternatives for spindles on this machine that I could put in? If not does anyone have any leads on some cheapy stock spindles?

I'm thinking to get the other ski off I may melt the bolt bushing out and just create new bushings to put my 97 zl 500 skis on. I have a 97 ZL 500 machine that is complete to steal parts off of, but obviously it's an entirely different beast.

Any help is insanely appreciated.

Acs%20for%20snowest.jpg

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
If the ZL is complete, (I assume it doesn't run?) I'd swap the running 550 into that chassis instead. Should be pretty easy to do and work well.

X
Apr 26, 2011
Yea it's basically complete, and you commented on my swap post back in august of last year about it. I didn't get the time to do it so want to ride the ext around for this winter. I ordered a set of spindles/arms/skis off ebay that will be here in 9 days or so. We got the busted spindle off and the other ski off the other spindle. Looking forward to putting it back together and riding for the remainder of winter.

Premium Features