• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trygstad 872 vs Turbo!??!

mx100

Lifetime Membership
Jun 16, 2010
Livingston, MT.
With all the 872's out there, I can't believe nobody has a video of the two running together. Trygstads website even says "it will run with the turbos". Maybe I can't find them, but I haven't even seen a video of an 872 being compared to a stock 800. Come on guys, if I can't see it in person, then I want to see a bunch of video's! I have talked to Dave on the phone, and I would like to like to have one, but until then I would like to see VIDEO!

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I would like to see it against a stock 800 because I'm not buying into it beating a turbo. I am interested, also, but I want to ride one or see one first. Most of the big bores I have seen in the past just make more noise and are less reliable. They posted winners from Jackson but that is meaningless because it is all rider. Keith Curtis stock sled ran faster times than their 872.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I don't care which company it is, who's build but the idea that a 900ish N/A sled runs with boost at any higher elevations is just silly.

Add a gallon of race or two, turn the knob or push a button, and any N/A looks silly. It just all comes down to what elevation, what fuel, and which kit.

IF you limit it to PG only (a waste of boost IMO), then perhaps under 6k you'll see it being close, but why waste the money on a PG turbo? And why waste the time comparing them?

If that comparison really is a selling point for you, you should just get a turbo. I'm assuming in MT you ride higher elevation... it's not really a comparison up here.

F
Aug 26, 2008
It is not my movie, just something i found on the subjekt BB vs, turbo

(But i have a RK 860 and like the pull that engine gives me)

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
At the fairview shootout this weekend we had couple 872's rktech 860 my trygstad 860 and a whole bunch of turbo's. setup snow conditions. All of bigbores lined up 3 different times.. It was so close it was not even funny... I am talking like inches apart every time.. And for the record a bigbore will not stay with a turbo at 10k anyway.. I rode the turbo performance xm and there is no way a big bore will stay with it..It was on 7 or 8lbs. 1st hundred 100 ft bigbore gets the turbo. But after that no way.. I want to thank Turbo performance for letting us ride there sleds.. Great guy's!!!

J

jskattum606

Dec 3, 2007
Bozeman, MT
You ever see a Turbo add that had to say "keeps up with the big bores"
Haha. Can't compare the two. Turbos are more complicated is the only down side. But if you need more, add octane ,weight and turn it up
:)

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
On the downside I watched at least 6 turbo's go down on Sat.. Turbo performance was not one of them.. Was a bad day for turbos. I think most were ovs setup's 1 m8 cutler and a 1200 cutler turbo that blew half way up. That was fun to watch.... Good thing the bigbore's were there to pull em out.. Haha!

S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
IF you limit it to PG only (a waste of boost IMO), then perhaps under 6k you'll see it being close, but why waste the money on a PG turbo? And why waste the time comparing them?

That really is the truth of the matter right there. A PG turbo is so dissappointing. In my opinion, the break even for big bore vs PG is closer to 8000' for most conditions. That seems to be the point when you can actually run a decent amount of boost w/out mixing gas on the turbos and the NA sleds will start to show a drop in power. My opinion may be a little scewed, because a couple of the big bores I ride w/ have track and suspension changes also. My turbo is stock track and mostly stock skid as far as it's capabilitly when climbing. When I am putting the ski's to the air, they still are tractoring forward so the suspension play a big equalizer w/ them.

It's never a waste of time to compare!! So I disagree on that point. It's fun to beat a turbo w/ a big bore, but it really pi**es me off when a big bore beats my turbo. Opening the side panel and a couple turns takes care of that.:face-icon-small-hap

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
That really is the truth of the matter right there. A PG turbo is so dissappointing. In my opinion, the break even for big bore vs PG is closer to 8000' for most conditions. That seems to be the point when you can actually run a decent amount of boost w/out mixing gas on the turbos and the NA sleds will start to show a drop in power. My opinion may be a little scewed, because a couple of the big bores I ride w/ have track and suspension changes also. My turbo is stock track and mostly stock skid as far as it's capabilitly when climbing. When I am putting the ski's to the air, they still are tractoring forward so the suspension play a big equalizer w/ them.

It's never a waste of time to compare!! So I disagree on that point. It's fun to beat a turbo w/ a big bore, but it really pi**es me off when a big bore beats my turbo. Opening the side panel and a couple turns takes care of that.:face-icon-small-hap

HAHA... at 11k+ that is never an issue. The lowest my turbos have lived is 10 psi, usually running 12-13. The skis in the air are the only thing that even makes it a challenge anymore!:D

Yeah... nothing wrong with comparing, I more mean that those who have ridden or owned both know the reality of it, and the answer is pretty clear.

That said... I'll be on the 860 as soon as my turbo kit sells, and I'm sure I'll have plenty of fun with that setup, EVEN without my beloved boost!

A
Dec 19, 2011
bbs have the torque the turbos dont, but in a straight line race at elevation the turbos hp will win. unless its a very weak pump gas turbo.

180hp bb with torque
200-250hp turbo with less torque, still eats up big bores.

A
Dec 19, 2011
I dont fully know how to calculate torque with a turbo sled. I just know the 880 displacement has more torque down low than a turbo setup, a stock bore with a turbo, isn't making full beans at lower rpm/boost. where as the na big bore is a stump puller off the bottom.

Once boost builds to higher levels it waves good bye to the big bores.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
torque is just basic math... as the horse goes up, as long as the peak RPM doesn't increase hugely, torque will increase as HP does, JUST like a BB.

IF the turbo is properly clutched, you'll build to the point of high torque/ HP quickly, but the reality is that you're below the HP of the BB for about a second if that, then you'll be above. In a drag race, you'll always see a well set up N/A take the jump, but as the boosted machine builds more power as it goes, it'll catch up quickly.

Torque = HP x 5252/ rpm so in other words, as you go higher in RPM you lose torque comparatively. Most turbos run a stock pipe, and tend to stay in the general rpm range of stock, so they will make the same general torque compared to their HP number as a BB will.

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
torque is just basic math... as the horse goes up, as long as the peak RPM doesn't increase hugely, torque will increase as HP does, JUST like a BB.

IF the turbo is properly clutched, you'll build to the point of high torque/ HP quickly, but the reality is that you're below the HP of the BB for about a second if that, then you'll be above. In a drag race, you'll always see a well set up N/A take the jump, but as the boosted machine builds more power as it goes, it'll catch up quickly.

Torque = HP x 5252/ rpm so in other words, as you go higher in RPM you lose torque comparatively. Most turbos run a stock pipe, and tend to stay in the general rpm range of stock, so they will make the same general torque compared to their HP number as a BB will.

Very true! There were a couple of times it took the turbo's 3 to 400 ft to catch us. But when they did they came by fast.. Most of the riding I do is short 1 to 400 ft pulls.. So for me I like the bigbore.. Sure was fun to go straight up on the turbo though. Just not that big into point and shoot anymore. It's all what you enjoy doing.. I love the instant power. When they get it so there is zero lag and it's 100% closed loop i might jump ship. Also we were all geared and clutched for around 70mph.. So 62-63 mph on the hard pack and that was it. There's different way's to set'em up. I am not setup to drag race.. So another couple gears and a steeper helix may have given me another 10mph.. We only ride when it's deep.

Last edited:

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Very true! There were a couple of times it took the turbo's 3 to 400 ft to catch us. But when they did they came by fast.. Most of the riding I do is short 1 to 400 ft pulls.. So for me I like the bigbore.. Sure was fun to go straight up on the turbo though. Just not that big into point and shoot anymore. It's all what you enjoy doing.. I love the instant power. When they get it so there is zero lag and it's 100% closed loop i might jump ship. Also we were all geared and clutched for around 70mph.. So 62-63 mph on the hard pack and that was it. There's different way's to set'em up. I am not setup to drag race.. So another couple gears and a steeper helix may have given me another 10mph.. We only ride when it's deep.

Riding a 141, the lag was as close to non existent as you'll find, but the torqu on the bottom of a big bore is hard to beat for smile factor as well.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007

Take a really strong BB and run a 3 inch and in the deep it will take the higher HP turbo with smaller lug which spins instead of propelling. Just Sayin its the better boondocking option in the deep. straight pulls the Turbo has the advantage if it gets a run at the climb or snow is set with higher track speeds. Been there many times and on Vid.

Last edited:
P

pfi572

Nov 29, 2009
North West Alberta
Oh my god scratley the RKT must have had something wrong with it? :lol:

At the fairview shootout this weekend we had couple 872's rktech 860 my trygstad 860 and a whole bunch of turbo's. setup snow conditions. All of bigbores lined up 3 different times.. It was so close it was not even funny... I am talking like inches apart every time.. And for the record a bigbore will not stay with a turbo at 10k anyway.. I rode the turbo performance xm and there is no way a big bore will stay with it..It was on 7 or 8lbs. 1st hundred 100 ft bigbore gets the turbo. But after that no way.. I want to thank Turbo performance for letting us ride there sleds.. Great guy's!!!

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
Oh my god scratley the RKT must have had something wrong with it? :lol:

Ya it must have.. Didn't run as good as his old rev thats for sure.. But it did run good. You wouldn't believe how close they were. Rktec was in an 08 chassis with alot of mods like mine. Would of been nice to get in two feet of fluff with them all and see. It was fun talking to everyone and talking about the issues we all have had.. It's like they are all for the same builder. Would of been nice to trade my 163 non ported for 154 ported to..Lol!

Premium Features