• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpha1 - No Fuel Not Starting

C
Apr 12, 2009
Lehi, UT
I posted this on another forum and wanted To see if any others have had this issue. Been in Wyoming riding my ‘19 Alpha 800 and rode great the first day (3.7 hrs total). One the second morning no fuel on the spark plugs, would not start start but has spark. Checked the fuse and thawed the sled out as much as possible but still a no go. I dumped some fuel in the cylinder and fired up. Heard about fuel pickup/injectors having issues from others but unsure.

Going to dump at the dealer tomorrow and will let others know what they say but thought I would post in case others have same issues.

Jumped to the cat this year and wondering WTF on a brand new sled? Had 8 sled fuel at the same spot with fuel 91 non-eth with no problems and around 25F

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Did u try hooking up a 9v battery to the fuel pump and run it backwards?
Not a solution but it may free up the pump to start the sled. Then u will know its the pump.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Dammit, are these things still doing this?

It's like every 5th cat off the production line gets pumps or injectors that need a kick in the pants to run.

The temp sensor switch that cutlers sells works. It 'forces' the pump on to dump gas.

C
Apr 12, 2009
Lehi, UT
Dale (The owner of Cutler’s) just called back himself and was able to jump the fuel pump to get running and must not have been a power issue like his service manager initially told me. He also thought fuel seemed bad and smelled like diesel but may be because I parked in front exhaust from 30 min trying to warm up if water in fuel. New fuel pump on order but won’t be in until Friday.

Going back to the axys for the week

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
After jump starting fuel pump, does it continue to work?
Can u shut it off and start it back up?

M
Oct 23, 2013
Did u try hooking up a 9v battery to the fuel pump and run it backwards?
Not a solution but it may free up the pump to start the sled. Then u will know its the pump.

i have heard of hooking up a battery to it
mine is a 2017 m8000 do you know which
wires that hook to the battery? thanks

Castforcash

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2016
My 15 does this to me every fall after sitting in the trailer all summer. I powered the pump with a battery and it still wouldn't start. I came up with a syringe and a piece of hose attached to it so I can put a little gas in the cylinders without pulling my pipe off. Dealer told me it was most likely vapor lock in the fuel rail/injector assembly. Recommended starting it periodically over the summer, but my sleds aren't stored at my house over the summer.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
i have heard of hooking up a battery to it
mine is a 2017 m8000 do you know which
wires that hook to the battery? thanks
over 8k miles on 4 different cats i never had the problem.
I told myself i need to find out which wires just in case... never did it.
I do carry a 9v battery for this reason.. just don't know what to do with it.. lol

Castforcash

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2016
over 8k miles on 4 different cats i never had the problem.
I told myself i need to find out which wires just in case... never did it.
I do carry a 9v battery for this reason.. just don't know what to do with it.. lol

I have a 2006 700 crossfire with over 7k on it and it has been beat to piss. Still starts on the 2nd ot 3rd pull no matter how long it has sat. On my 15 the pump is on top of the gas tank right hand side. Unplug the harness and use 2 wires with clips on them to power the pump.

Castforcash

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2016
Brought my sleds home today, crossfire started on 3rd pull and my '15 m8 started on 3rd pull, first time it has ever done that since new.....maybe this thread was good luck, lol

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Dale (The owner of Cutler’s) just called back himself and was able to jump the fuel pump to get running and must not have been a power issue like his service manager initially told me. He also thought fuel seemed bad and smelled like diesel but may be because I parked in front exhaust from 30 min trying to warm up if water in fuel. New fuel pump on order but won’t be in until Friday.

Going back to the axys for the week

Any update?

C
Apr 12, 2009
Lehi, UT
Fuel pump replaced. I talked to the tech and he started the sled after jumping the pump but they replaced. Dealer stated fuel could have been bad and washed tank also. We had 12 sleds in our group fill with 91 non at the same station on various pumps with multiple turbos sleds. I have the fuel so going to take same back to the station and see what they say.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Fuel pump replaced. I talked to the tech and he started the sled after jumping the pump but they replaced. Dealer stated fuel could have been bad and washed tank also. We had 12 sleds in our group fill with 91 non at the same station on various pumps with multiple turbos sleds. I have the fuel so going to take same back to the station and see what they say.

Non-ethanol fuel lasts a while and doesn't collect water quite like corn gas.

Based on the relatively well-documented problem on cats (including my own), and the fact that you had friends fill up at the same place......it ain't the gas.

I know what bad gas looks like. Last year two friends both blew motors on skidoos about half a mile from the trucks. Yep, both filled up at the same station that day.

I'm pulling my sled out of the woods with a helicopter tomorrow. And it's not because of gas. I'll say it now.....it's either the fuel pump or the the electrical supply to the fuel pump. Tons of threads on here about these sleds (both zuke and c-tech now) just not starting, usually doing so only after adding fuel. Cat has a pump problem. And lots of people know it.

nw-sickboy

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2008
Meridian ID

Based on the relatively well-documented problem on cats (including my own), and the fact that you had friends fill up at the same place......it ain't the gas.

I know what bad gas looks like. Last year two friends both blew motors on skidoos about half a mile from the trucks. Yep, both filled up at the same station that day.

I'm pulling my sled out of the woods with a helicopter tomorrow. And it's not because of gas. I'll say it now.....it's either the fuel pump or the the electrical supply to the fuel pump. Tons of threads on here about these sleds (both zuke and c-tech now) just not starting, usually doing so only after adding fuel. Cat has a pump problem. And lots of people know it.

Tons of people? I'm not seeing "tons" of this issue on snowest or any of the other groups I'm on. We have 12 new cats from 18-19 in our group and have had 1 issue that was quickly resolved by Cat/Dealer- It was not a fuel pump.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Tons of people? I'm not seeing "tons" of this issue on snowest or any of the other groups I'm on. We have 12 new cats from 18-19 in our group and have had 1 issue that was quickly resolved by Cat/Dealer- It was not a fuel pump.
It's been happening since the Mseries.
It is real. It happens to several people every yr.
I learned about the 9v battery trick back in 2010ish.
Van Amburg's 2018 Mtn cat had a bad pump.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.

Did it cut out while riding or, after shutting sled off it wouldn't come back on?

Have u tried hooking a battery to the pump and ride it out that way?

bcsnowdog

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
frank mountain bc
I'm sure fuel pumps do go but iv'e had good luck m7 13000kms 09 m8 10000kms
14 m8000 6000kms 18 Ascender 2400kms never had any fuel pump problems or any other major problems.

Last edited:
Premium Features