• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpha one vs 850 axys?

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Traction and forward momentum. When you are on a steep slope and losing both those the track is going to go downhill. The alpha grabs more traction than the others. When I tip my alpha up and hold the ski a foot off the ground, most of the track is on the ground. When I do the same with my gen 4 most of the track is off the ground.
The tmotion is not a gimmick. It does what it is supposed to. Makes the sled easier to ride and ride lighter. Problem is it throws you around a little and you have to work the bars a lot more to keep it going where you want. Doos have always wanted to turn uphill a touch when put on their side and you have to correct them a little. You can put a ski 1 foot in the air and go straight down the trail on the alpha. Recipe for disaster on the gen 4. They automatically want to turn and you have to keep working the bars. Not sure it's all in the tmotion. I think some is in the front. I haven't seen any downfalls with the alpha yet. Probably something. Might just have to ride it different. The gen 4 is great but you have to ride it different than an axys.

Agree with everything you said except for the riding down the trail on one ski. I can do the same on my Doos, make left and right turns as well. But I admit, it DOES take some effort. And you need to have a stiffer front end. (Springs or shocks.)

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I can do it but it is a workout. I did the alpha at 30mph on hardpack. I wouldn't try it with my gen4. Already have 1 busted airoh.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
When I was riding the revs, years ago, and the m sleds came out I didn't like it when you laid the m on its side on a sidehill. The rev would start turning and the m would just lay straight. Finally I stole my buddy's m for a half a day and realized you could do some cool stuff like sliding them straight down a hill on their side to fit between the trees. Turning them around on a steep sidehill. Stopping on a steep sidehill. This was before all the burandt craze. That was the end of doo for me until I tried an xm because of steering ease do to cranky shoulders. Hated it but the gen 4 is an awesome sled. It still turns when laid on its side but not like the old ones. I still think it is more to do with the whole rider forward thing because they went so far forward compared to everyone else. I bet it's still there if you weed out tmotion but don't know for sure. I literally rode the alpha at 30mph down the trail with a ski 1 foot in the air. The doo is tough at 5mph. Always turns.

Similar experience, I rode the first prototype rev that went around the dealers in like 2003. a short track. my thought was killer trail sled. will never sidehill tho. had to scratch my head when they made summit versions. many bandaids later their answer is still more horsepower and track.

E
Oct 21, 2008
flat lander MN
Figured you boys would find a little humour in that. Sure cat has a great engine, there trouble is getting the power to the track. There are very few cats in our group/area and we've had more cat rescue missions than doo or poo put together in the last 3-4 years. Mostly chain case and secondary pile ups, one cat motor only.
There are only two die hard cat riders left in our 3-4 groups we ride with, both on new 2018 cats last year and towed both of them out, one blown chain case the other was drive axle. But they sure ran great ?.
Also I know they are mountain sleds but there trail manners were atrocious up to the 2018. Dartin bastages.
bull****

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
I’m really excited to try an Alpha. I miss the reliability of my cats. I just may jump back to cat next year with boost :)

Premium Features