• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 high country 8000 clutching 9k+

E
Aug 20, 2011
Soo/Menominee MI
So im trying to find exact answers because cat is being weird about sharing info in their parts fiche for elevation adjustments. Trying to set my dads sled up for togwotee for the end of the month, and the dealer told him he needed 64g weights for his sled for 9k+. Now it shows a helix, spring, and weight change for 5-9k. Its not needed to do the 5k clutch kit first is it? My old 15 hc used a new helix and weights, which worked pretty good.

Thanks for the clarification!

K
Dec 5, 2018
Moorhead, MN
I’m following this thread also. I have a 19 HC 8000. I do alot of riding in Minnesota but am making trips out west. If I change the spring and helix to the ones included in the high altitude kit; can I just leave them and change the weights when I come back to Minnesota? Or should I just leave the low elevation helix and spring in and change the weights when I go to high elevation? I haven’t played around with clutches as you can tell. I should add that bill be in the 8,000ft range when out west.

Last edited:
K
Dec 5, 2018
Moorhead, MN
I was actually talking to someone about this yesterday. I would assume that Cat thinks you’ll have the spring and helix from the 5-9k kit so when going above 9k all you’ll need is weights.

E
Aug 20, 2011
Soo/Menominee MI
I’m following this thread also. I have a 19 HC 8000. I do alot of riding in Minnesota but am making trips out west. If I change the spring and helix to the ones included in the high altitude kit; can I just leave them and change the weights when I come back to Minnesota? Or should I just leave the low elevation helix and spring in and change the weights when I go to high elevation? I haven’t played around with clutches as you can tell. I should add that bill be in the 8,000ft range when out west.
Your gonna have to change back, the performance is usually pretty subpar with a miss match of clutching. Usually the secondary shifts out too fast because of the increase in power.
I was actually talking to someone about this yesterday. I would assume that Cat thinks you’ll have the spring and helix from the 5-9k kit so when going above 9k all you’ll need is weights.

My dad(his sled, just trying to help him out) is gonna call cat on Monday and see whats up. No dealer he has talked to can give him a straight answer. This makes it even more confusing as it only shows weights

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1544299029694.jpg
    FB_IMG_1544299029694.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 94
S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
i ride 85-11k most of the time, 162/165 for hill climbing needs a 43/44 helix, slightly stiffer driven spring, 67 gram weights for alpha, 64 for zuki engine....if you're not doing serious hill climbing the stock 48 will work with 63 gram weights....this will get you very close to what you want for 9-11k

Premium Features