• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

?s about a friends sled dying

65pony123

Oct 1, 2010
it a 2006 m7 with the m8 kit on it by rkt boondockers fuel box speedwerx pipe and can, porting, high comp head. its obviousl the fuel injected model. runs great but when you roll it or even just tip it on its side it wond start after, takes 15+ minutes and a bunch of pulling. wondering what could be casuing this.? thanks for the help in advance

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
bad smart valves. Is this a question from last year or can you make it happen right now. It could be running a little lean and a little more fuel could fix it but if not I would say the fuel pick ups (smart valves) arent working right.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
how does it start cold...??..and does it do this starting issue problem when tipped on its side when warm only and running or not running..???...

like does tipping it make it quit running..??..or can you have the sled warm,shut it off,and on the level restart easy,then shut it off again,tip it on its side,return to level then hard starting..??

have you tried pulling the recoil slowly and fully two or three times and then a very short quick pull when this happens..??

65pony123

Oct 1, 2010
?

when it tips over running it doesnt die and then not start. its when its turned off and then rolled to get unstuck it wont start

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
. its when its turned off and then rolled to get unstuck it wont start

rolled over..a 360 on the hill side....??..and what throttle position seems to finally start it..full throttle..just abit depressed...or normal..or does it matter..

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I think its getting hot and going into a limp mode, you should check the fuel pressure just to get an idea of what your dealing with first but I would bet adding more fuel would fix it. The other thing I would do is after a climb let it idle for a little bit until it idles down. If it dies and wont start there are 3 things you can do to get more fuel, One is to pressurize the barometric pressure tube (clear tube on ecu) adding pressure makes it think your at low altitude and adds fuel, the other is to unplug the coolant temp sensor (or put in a switch) and the last unplug the air temp sensor. Unplugging the sensors throws it into the full rich mode (like a choke for start up) but when you pull once it fires it will most likely fire and die, then you plug it back in and pull a few times and it should run. Many turbo guys wire switches into the coolant sensor for this but I have had it happen to mod sleds also.
But if you let it run it cycles the coolant enough that it doesn't go into the limp mode. after that you either have to let it cool or pull enough times to cycle the coolant by pulling until the coolant sensor gets back in spec.
Thats 1 guess.

Now if your sure its not hot,
then Its back to the fuel pickups. They can stick shut.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
i knew if i kept asking the questions the smart fella's would come up with the answers...lol..

Premium Features