• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rattle in the can and no warranty service: SLP pipe setups for 08 Dragon 800's

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
Here is the problem: My 08 Dragon 800 I bought in spring of 2009 has an SLP single pipe setup on it complete with can. Picked it up from a fellow snowester. Last time I had the SLP can off the sled to service the chaincase, there was a rattle in it.

I recently picked up an 08 D8 with an 860 Carls in it, just could not resist the bigbore and the price. It has the full SLP pipe setup in it too, according to Carls it is standard SLP except for the y-pipe which is different due to the cylinder spacing.

Again, pull the can to service the chaincase (fix the chaincase tensioner which broke last weekend), and again there is a rattle in the can. I shook it around and was able to get a few pieces of baffle to come out. Nothing came out of the other can when I tried the same thing.

When I contacted SLP, they said 1 year warranty, and of course I have no proof of purchase since I bought the sled / pipes used, plus I am sure they are over a year old.

The replacement can is close to $300.

Anyone know how to get them to own up to this problem? Anyone else have this problem? Would like to know if it is a widespread known issue or not.

My local dealer is great but I would not expect them to go to bat for me on used pipes on used sleds which I didn't buy from them in the first place... I like my dealer and buy everything else from them I can.

Attachments

• P5065470.jpg
    P5065470.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 135

Snowbird11

Lifetime Membership
May 29, 2011
SLC/Samak, Ut
my slp can has about 700 miles on it and now resonates like there is something loose inside. next time i pull it i will check. fwiw, in the first 500 miles one of the baffel welds rusted through the exterior case. i just patched the hole with a piece of mild steel and welded it back together.

i like SLP for the mellow tone but will likely look elsewhere for my next can due to these issues.

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
My understanding is the SLP can for the stock pipe is different than the one that comes with the full pipe set, so that is not an option.

Does anyone else's can work with the SLP pipe? I don't want a noisier one, but the way it seems right now these have gotten noisier anyway, so something more reliable would be preferable...

Snowbird, if that can is less than a year old I would get it warrantied. Then maybe sell it as new and get something else.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Mine is doing it too.

I need to get something done before next winter. If I cut it and weld, how long will the can last without reapplying the ceramic coating?

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
Mine is doing it too.

I need to get something done before next winter. If I cut it and weld, how long will the can last without reapplying the ceramic coating?
"Back in the old days" even the aftermarket pipes and cans were only painted with the heat resistant black paint. So if you cut it open and fix it, I would just paint it.

NAPA sells some high temp paint in silver, not as nice as the ceramic coating but it holds up pretty well. Or you could just pay to get it recoated by someone.

But you may as well just paint it, you might have to cut it open again in a couple years to fix it again...

I think i am going to nicely politely ask my dealer what I should do. Maybe they will offer to go to bat for me. If not, I think I might have a friend of mine cut one of the two open to see what there is to see and maybe repair it it possible. For all I know those pieces that fell out weren't important.

Funny thing is none of the edges are sharp or tweaked, they almost look like they were cut out that way.

A

augerin

Nov 26, 2007
Granite Falls Wa.
I have a can that has very low miles on it and might be willing to part with it. I put the hps can on and like it for the weight savings but it is a little loud when you hit the trigger. Pm me if you decide you might want it

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
You wont' like this question, but how many years should a 1 year warranty cover?

1 year. :face-icon-small-hap

SLP's pipes have always had a top of the line reputation. Had one on my 99 RMK, and it lasted for 6000 miles (mountain miles) and worked great the whole time. Now the norm seems to be 2 or 3 years and the can is shot? To the tune of almost $300? Not just one but two out of two pipes? And others on here report the same problem.

I was hoping SLP would step up to the plate due to their high reputation, even though the warranty was past. Especially if it were a somewhat common problem. (Wish Polaris had done the same for the dragon motors...)

QUESTION: What cans will work with the SLP exhaust? Since SLP's pipe set and standalone can are incompatible (even the shape of the inlet is different), what other brand of cans would work well with the SLP pipe? I might be stuck with replacing the can with another SLP on the Carls, unless Carls has another recommendation for their 860 setup.

(Augerin, your PM folder is full...)

Last edited:

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
resurrecting this old thread...

Well, I believe I am here again. 3rd SLP can (from the full SLP pipe system) that is now falling apart. Was out riding last Thursday, noticed a hole in the side of the can! I haven't taken the can out to see if the baffles are broken loose and rattling like the 2 other cans I have already replaced on dragons... if it is not rattling maybe just have a piece welded over the hole and paint it?

What is it with the SLP cans for the Dragon / IQ Raw chassis? I have the 860 up for sale but won't sell it with a bad can on it... so I have to come up with something that works. I see a few cans on fleabay in mediocre condition that appear to be the correct can to go with the pipe...

Since this is the 860 motor setup and reflashed ECU, I hesitate to put a different can on there, plus not sure if it would work / fit right.

Any ideas? Any SLP "8782" cans out there for sale? (2008-2009 can for use with SLP pipe)...

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
I have one I might possibly part with. As long as a mbrp can will work aswell or better than than the slp can with an slp pipe.

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
I have one I might possibly part with. As long as a mbrp can will work aswell or better than than the slp can with an slp pipe.
Thanks Steve. Let me know what you decide to do.

I am trying to figure out if I can go to an alternative can without losing performance or throwing off the fueling on my current Dragon since it is an 860 Carls motor with reflashed ECM... I believe I have heard that people have used Skinz and BMP cans with the 800 SLP single pipe (I guess google is my friend). Had a call in to Carls Cycle Performance dept. but did not find anything out on this possible combination, I DID find out that the main person I have spoken to the last couple years in that department about my 860 no longer works there! Chris was his name and apparently he took a job in a completely different field from what they told me. What a loss for snowmobilers, he knew stuff right off the top of his head about the 860 motor and setup and clutching and helped steer me in the right direction a number of times.

There is an SLP can for the SLP pipe setup on ebay but it looks like crap compared to my can. I will attach a couple pics of my can where the welds are breaking, no rattle in the can YET but there are 2 holes and one more on the other side is just starting to break through...

It isn't just the 860, I had this happen 2x on the otherwise stock 800 dragon I had before...

Attachments

• 0413162114.jpg
    0413162114.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 0413162115.jpg
    0413162115.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 0413162115a.jpg
    0413162115a.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 0413162116.jpg
    0413162116.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
Cut it open, take out broken baffles and weld it back up. I've done this to 2 or 3 of my SLP cans over the years and they still run and work well.

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
Cut it open, take out broken baffles and weld it back up. I've done this to 2 or 3 of my SLP cans over the years and they still run and work well.
Thought about that too last time this happened, while I can't weld, I know some people who do it for a living... thanks for the idea.

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
Followup: Called SLP tech support to see if a standalone can would work, explained my situation, long story short he offered to sell me a brand new can for just a little more than I could get a used one, and then they can warranty it too, so I bought it - thanks SLP...

Snowbird11

Lifetime Membership
May 29, 2011
SLC/Samak, Ut
i've loved every slp product i've owned except for the silencer/can. i've had about 4 of them and each one rusted out in record time. i've purchased a couple new and a couple came used. i've switched to the skinz ultra-q and have been happy ever since. love the sound and no more rust issues. slp is a fine company but i won't be buying exhaust products from them in the future. they're still my go to for clutch work and other performance parts, fwiw.

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
i've loved every slp product i've owned except for the silencer/can. i've had about 4 of them and each one rusted out in record time. i've purchased a couple new and a couple came used. i've switched to the skinz ultra-q and have been happy ever since. love the sound and no more rust issues. slp is a fine company but i won't be buying exhaust products from them in the future. they're still my go to for clutch work and other performance parts, fwiw.
That has basically been my experience with SLP cans for Dragons, baffles have broken loose internally, in this latest go-around a very nice looking can started developing holes in the sides, where something is breaking loose, no rattles yet, just some exhaust under the hood... so far... but they did sell me a new replacement can (this has an extra number at the end - perhaps a heavier duty version?), and at a price that was not much higher than I had been paying for used ones in good shape visually anyway. He said then they can stand behind it since they sold it to me, rather than a used sled with can or buying a used can that goes bad...

I also picked up an ultra-q for the 2015 Pro, they even claim a slight horsepower gain, but the weight loss and nice (but quiet) sound is what I was looking for...

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
My Dragon 700 SLP can has a bad rattle at 7000 and up RPM. It scared the heck out of me because it sounded like eggs frying and I thought I was getting detonation.
You should probably replace the can as it might block the outlet at some point, or the change in flow might cause a lean condition (even worse). If you were the original purchaser they may stand behind it... probably have to have a receipt though. I have seen some used 700 cans on facebook swapmeet forums. I think there is one for sale in Helena MT don't recall the price. I think I can find it if you want, just PM me. Just make sure you get the right part number if you go that route, the 800 can for the 800 SLP pipe setup looks identical but flows different of course.

I had one where I would shake it and pieces of baffle would fall out... I suppose you could cut the can open, remove broken pieces and rebuild to suit your sound level taste...

Snowbird11

Lifetime Membership
May 29, 2011
SLC/Samak, Ut
You should probably replace the can as it might block the outlet at some point, or the change in flow might cause a lean condition (even worse). If you were the original purchaser they may stand behind it... probably have to have a receipt though. I have seen some used 700 cans on facebook swapmeet forums. I think there is one for sale in Helena MT don't recall the price. I think I can find it if you want, just PM me. Just make sure you get the right part number if you go that route, the 800 can for the 800 SLP pipe setup looks identical but flows different of course.

I had one where I would shake it and pieces of baffle would fall out... I suppose you could cut the can open, remove broken pieces and rebuild to suit your sound level taste...

i had a slp stage 1 on a 600 that would bog hard right between 6700 and 7000 and just sit there. it turned out to be a baffel from the slp can that was blocking exhaust. took the dealer a lot of time to figure that one out.

Premium Features