• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

A few upgrades for the polaris 120

T
Mar 13, 2019
My kids (4 and 6) really enjoy being on the sleds but quickly outgrew the stock offerings on the 120. I don't think the platform is that bad and it's a great primer for any kids that want to sled. My only advice, get them on the 120 early, and be prepared to upgrade.

We did the standard governor bypass and gear change. It's OK for the 4 year old, not enough for the 6 year old. Both are good (cheap) upgrades and should be done early. The BIGGEST improvement is adding the rear shock. The little sleds just bounce around rider like crazy. We built our own cross shafts and stuck a shock in.

IMG_5620 by Brad Taylor, on Flickr

I also decided to go with a chinese 196 clone for power. I got a stage two kit coming for it to replace the carb and flywheel. Power shouldn't be an issue any more. The engine needs to be raised on the bulk side and new holes drilled on the side. Factory holes on the bottom where used. Here is the test fit:

IMG_5648 by Brad Taylor, on Flickr

She's happy!

IMG_5625 by Brad Taylor, on Flickr

You have to do some modifications to the throttle, but pretty easy.

IMG_5646 by Brad Taylor, on Flickr

I also removed the governor and oil level sensor.

IMG_5647 by Brad Taylor, on Flickr

Since we have had a few crashes the front supports were pretty bent. They got straightened up and I used the dimple die on them. I will prob fab up new running boards using the same die.

IMG_5644 by Brad Taylor, on Flickr

Up next is going to be a long track, I think. Found these rails to try and use and I am going to look at the artic cat ZR200 track

IMG_5673 by Brad Taylor, on Flickr

T
Mar 13, 2019
Stage 2 kit showed up on friday. Hope to get it all installed in the next couple days. The kit includes a bored out honda carb, fly wheel, 22 lbs valve springs, 4* timing key, air intake and few other items

IMG_5674 by Brad Taylor, on Flickr

T
Mar 13, 2019
I havent gone the long track yet. I really think the chain drive is the limiting factor with it and I am not sure if the power will be enough. Please let me know what you think of it!

This engine didn't make the cut, and I didn't even have it on the snow! I decided to go with a chinese clone 208 electric starts on both machines. The carbs, springs and intake all swapped over. Just fitting batteries today and trying to figure out electrics. I want the the lights and handle bar warmers to shut off with the machine.

T
Mar 13, 2019
208 with electric start and baterry. Biggest reason to go ES was because of the handle bar warmers. Needed a bat anyway and using a motor with it's own charging system just made sense. Steering is really tight and you need to make a special wrench to refill oil.

Attachments

• 9E830F4B-6D76-43F8-AD14-3CBB312C9779_1_201_a.jpeg
    9E830F4B-6D76-43F8-AD14-3CBB312C9779_1_201_a.jpeg
    700.1 KB · Views: 100

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
I like that. Harbor Freight engine or something else? I like the idea of it's own charging system for handwarmers too. I deleted the headlights so no need there.

T
Mar 13, 2019
I like that. Harbor Freight engine or something else? I like the idea of it's own charging system for handwarmers too. I deleted the headlights so no need there.

Princess Auto, Canadian HF. It 's their pro point model. I didn't get to it today, but I think I can run the head light off the coil and the old rectifier and then just have the warmers and starting on the battery. I'm also hoping that the signal from the rectifier/lights can be used to switch a relay for the warmers. Kids and switches don't get along. That way if the sleds not running, batteries don't get drained.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
I’m a Canuck too! I’m heading over the PA right now and to see what’s on the shelf. I want to end up with around 10hp. That seems to be the limit for snocross racing and stock drivetrain. Anything over that and they are just creating heat and not going anywhere it seems. We aren’t sx racing. But we ride in the hills and I’d like to take my kids up to the Boulder cabin in Revy etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T
Mar 13, 2019
well the electric start is going to be sweet. I had to lose the race can I made... way too loud. Still running really rich, might have to rejet but I am going to wait until it gets cold out to make sure. Battery fits like a glove and hand warmers get hot. I let the smoke out of the ac-dc rectifier so I will try and fix that issue.

Just waiting on the 35 chain sprockets and track drivers to show up so I can install and let the kids take it for a spin!

4F8F3A72-6DBD-47AB-992E-A61B8A899045 by Brad Taylor, on Flickr

1B50146F-C9EA-47F1-9CE9-9B450F5F29A9_1_201_a by Brad Taylor, on Flickr

07D21AC2-9303-4663-8DE1-A0E98911FA35 by Brad Taylor, on Flickr

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
I like that. And the 3 bills for the engine itself too!

I think I’d want to upgrade to a Mikuni carb and heavier valve springs still. But I think that’s gonna be the ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T
Mar 13, 2019
I think it would.

I went with the stage two... You don't need the fly wheel though as the one for the electric start is different.

It barks pretty good and is running rich. lots of back firing on throttle release. It sounds REALLY mean. :cool: I hope to have it out on the snow friday. The real test will be with a load and in the cold. I also order some jets for the honda carb just in case. I haven't removed the governer yet but plan on it once the kids get the extra power figured out. The first 196 I was going to use sang up to 7500 rpm with the AL fly wheel and governor removed... I plan to put into some sort of cart for the summer.

T
Mar 13, 2019
@Reeb oh, and I am not sure what valve cover your motor will come with. There are two version, a rectangular one and a slanted one. It seems to be hit and miss which one is on the engine. I will get pictures today of the one you want. My local PA just let me swap them with a motor that was on the shelf. bulk head clearance is an issue with the rectangular one.

T
Mar 13, 2019
I used the bottom holes but you have to raise the back of the motor. I just used a set of nuts on the bolts and fed them through the holes. This gives you an idea of what you need to do on the side. The round hole for the shaft needs to be opened up as well. Its really not bad.

Too much snow here, I am throwing the 40 chain back in and getting them gong tomorrow.

E68A0710-6B9B-4A2A-8E25-57259E3FE1C6 by Brad Taylor, on Flickr

T
Mar 13, 2019
had a good first rip on the sleds. Kid can't turn the key for the ES with her gloves on so I am going to replace with a push button. few other electrical issues to figure out. Sleds a 2000 and the tether is giving issue along with the on/off key and the throttle switches. It's idling too high and the governor is set WAY to low.

Gearing and RPMs are all wrong, it would only do about 12mph. Just using what I had until the quick change hub shows up. But the power! She was throwing snow out the back end when her brother was stuck with his 120 with the big boy kit. He can't get moving and she can't go fast enough. I figure his sled is doing about 18mph. I am going to get the same motor for his the next time I'm at princess auto.

didn't get any video but will try to today after some tweaks to the governor and electrical system.

T
Mar 13, 2019
got the electrical figured out and replaced the key with push button start. It has a 35 chain 35 tooth sprocket in it. It spin the track with my 300lbs on it... Need to go to about a 45 tooth sprocket.

Emmas first rip (all pictures are videos, flicker doesn't like embeding on a BB)

6D79879A-AFAE-45D1-8998-8CEC6FE926EA by Brad Taylor, on Flickr

the blue 120 has the stock motor with big boy kit and has a 38 tooth sprocket. Has trouble getting off the line

B6567AD3-B0CA-4B50-8015-465B1CAFE084 by Brad Taylor, on Flickr

88CAB4A8-66FE-4E2C-A0B9-9EDD764FF048 by Brad Taylor, on Flickr

Premium Features