• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

GEN 4 Rear Shock Kits?

D
Mar 13, 2014
I doubt anyone has tried all the setups but what does everyone think is the best setup / value etc? Mountain riding etc, I specifically ride a 175 and weigh 245 with no gear but would like to hear any feedback.

Fox
Raptor
Zbros

Any others? Specific valving?

Last edited:
J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Don't forget Tom's too.

I would stay with something like Tom's or Raptor. Both have done the torsion bar delete with success, and both know how to valve appropriately.

I'm partial to Tom's as I have a relationship with Fox. I know Raptor is awesome too.

D
Mar 13, 2014
Don't forget Tom's too.

I would stay with something like Tom's or Raptor. Both have done the torsion bar delete with success, and both know how to valve appropriately.

I'm partial to Tom's as I have a relationship with Fox. I know Raptor is awesome too.

Who is Tom? I read this all the time but I don't know where to find him or his website.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Who is Tom? I read this all the time but I don't know where to find him or his website.

Lol. That's awesome feedback (seriously).

I'm in the process of helping him out on this front. Something is slated to launch very soon. (website).

In short, he developed a torsion bar delete for the Ski-Doo XP sleds way back when. He's since evolved that to the XM/T3 and now Gen 4 platform.

In essence, deleting the torsion bars and going to an air shock allows for a better spring rate curve, more adjustment (not just preload, but rather the entire rate and curve), lighter weight, far more consistent and desireable damping characteristics - and being he valves for each rider, its going to be tailored to your use.

In a way, its pretty similar to what Raptor does (leaving Exit out for a few reasons), but is an air shock, as opposed to coil for more adjustibility and anti-bottoming.

Pricing similar between the two.

D
Mar 13, 2014
Lol. That's awesome feedback (seriously).

I'm in the process of helping him out on this front. Something is slated to launch very soon. (website).

In short, he developed a torsion bar delete for the Ski-Doo XP sleds way back when. He's since evolved that to the XM/T3 and now Gen 4 platform.

In essence, deleting the torsion bars and going to an air shock allows for a better spring rate curve, more adjustment (not just preload, but rather the entire rate and curve), lighter weight, far more consistent and desireable damping characteristics - and being he valves for each rider, its going to be tailored to your use.

In a way, its pretty similar to what Raptor does (leaving Exit out for a few reasons), but is an air shock, as opposed to coil for more adjustibility and anti-bottoming.

Pricing similar between the two.

I see. I am new to the snowmobile forum world / aftermarket. I am the guy I laugh at on boating and diesel forums lol.

Sounds like Tom is the guy I want to speak with or however I can communicate ha.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
I’m running the Nextech fox float setup on the 175, it rides very well, I never rode the stock setup to compare. Saved 6 lbs on a sp model.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Z-Broz over tom's seen to many of his kits bend parts, great service but downtime is downtime. Z-broz makes great products and their torsion elimination kit is awesome, tons of adjustment

FYI these parts have been completely changed for 2018. Duncan has been on them and sent the crap out of stuff with zero problems. Anecdotal, but positive.

Premium Features