• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Shot might be bad?

F
Oct 20, 2015
North Pole Alaska
Just got my 2018 summit today with shot. and a couple times after riding for 10-15 mins I'd go to start up, hold the shot down, and you could hear it sorta trying to roll over but didn't start the machine. Is mine bad or just not charged enough? Maybe the engine is still too tight? I got 13 miles total on it now. When it goes to start but doesn't it sounds like a burp building in your gut.
It does work sometimes tho.

N
Sep 30, 2014
I also have a 18 summit with shot. Same symptoms until yesterday's ride, now it doesn't start at all when holding the shot button. It's not even trying to roll it over. Dead silence. Got 40 miles on mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adam12

Lifetime Membership
Apr 16, 2014
Sisters, OR
Time to make the call. I only have 89 miles on my 18 but zero start issues with SHOT.

EDIT: I came back to this thread, realized how useless my initial post post was and then wondered how many stages the SHOT system goes through. It sounds like your system begins to work by aligning before the start. You just aren't getting to the start phase.

Last edited:

walker

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I have never had to pull my sled more that once

My 17 starts on the first pull every time even after sitting for 2 months. No one single time have I had to pull it twice. So I do not see a need for electric start on theses sleds. Just my 2cents. But it would suck if you played for it and it did not work.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
My 17 started on the first push of the button, even after it sat for 2 months. Not one single time did I have to push the button twice. So I don't see the need for a pull start. Thank God because I don't have one. It sucks pull starting. Be a real pain to get clutch guard back on with it running.

stocksucks!!

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2008
fort st john b.c
www.powderking.com
300 km works flawlessly 2018 165 x shot
650 km works every time 2018 175 x shot
2@350-400km works evertime 2018 165 x shot
All these sleds have worked after charging for 2min some have sat on the deck for 2 hrs and have started with shot
They have all started after an hour or more

F
Oct 20, 2015
North Pole Alaska
Time to make the call. I only have 89 miles on my 18 but zero start issues with SHOT.

EDIT: I came back to this thread, realized how useless my initial post post was and then wondered how many stages the SHOT system goes through. It sounds like your system begins to work by aligning before the start. You just aren't getting to the start phase.

I didn't know they aligned, but I guess that makes sense. However it grumbles (aligning?) and then nothing happens, this is after a good 10-15 min ride. Granted its only done it a couple times but in the first 13 miles of its life is a little alarming. Dealer told me to ride it some more and to let them know if it keeps doing it or not

F
Oct 20, 2015
North Pole Alaska
sled is at the dealer now. Said its the first bad Shot they've seen. Also said they were glad I wasn't in for belt issues..... I said belt issues on an 18? they said yeah they're having issues again... I was like oh great, that was one of the big reasons I did not want a 17.... Hopefully mine doesn't have any more issues.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
If you spring check the sled you get your choice of elevaion clutch setups.

There coming setup with 4000 to 8000 clutching unless you are your dealer has changed the clutching.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Last time out sitting with a group of guys started sled seven times back to back to see the charge left in the system, and it started every time, just quit at seven because I was getting board of staring it.. Works great:eyebrows:

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
High I believe. 2000-8000ft is the what the tag on the bars said.

You want the low elevation set up, pretty safe bet your dealer ordered with it. 90% of riding in AK is 0-3500 feet, it'll be a mutt with the H.E. clutching, with maybe the exception of the Summit Lake area

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
You want the low elevation set up, pretty safe bet your dealer ordered with it. 90% of riding in AK is 0-3500 feet, it'll be a mutt with the H.E. clutching, with maybe the exception of the Summit Lake area

Most dealers up here want to charge the customers for the low elevation setup up here, so they come set up for 4,000 to 8000
And yes your right summit lake is one of the few spots that has those altitudes.

I know on my sled (low elevation clutching) 2018 175 it over revs on clicker three at 400 ft elevation with 99% breaking.

F
Oct 20, 2015
North Pole Alaska
Dealer called, they couldn't get it to do it. They said they have started it many times since I dropped it off to no avail, idk maybe just doing that fixed it haha. They acknowledged what they saw in the video but without getting it to do it in person, they can't investigate further. Which is understandable. So hopefully this is the first and last warranty visit.
Also if any of you guys are in the Fairbanks area, join my facebook page. Fairbanks Mountain Riders.

R
Jun 1, 2017
Shotstarter is SHOT!

My 18 Freeride had 260km on it when the shot started to act up. The last ride it was working 50% of the times and I was going to take it back to the desler but since the recall of the clutchbolts was imminent I decided to wait a week and not ride the sled. I ropestarted the sled to bring it into the garage and all was fine, but ten seconds into the warmup it shot a flame through the ropehole area and a smokecloud with the smell of burned electronics came out. After that the sled was impossible to even ropestart as it was damn near impossible to turn the engine over. It is now sitting at the dealer and they have replaced the shot with a new one but apparently they are having a hard time getting the new one to work 100%. I have read that there is something wrong in the ECU that gives the shot to much voltage (60 instead of 40) which is causing it to stop working and sometimes blowing it up. I sure hope there is a fix or this will be my first and last time with a Ski Doo coming from beeing a Yamaha dude. (Still have my Sidewinder -17) It would be a pity ’cos I really love the way the Freeride feels and rides!

ntm_08

Lifetime Membership
May 21, 2009
There is a recall on some sleds with shot! Ecu neds to be updated with new software. To much voltage to the shot system.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Call your dealer and have them run your VIN. I have a 2018 Summit and the dealer said no bulletin for my sled's SHOT so far.

I have yet to see an official bulletin number for this - does someone have it?

Premium Features