• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Carl's Porting/Stage 4 kit

Mr. Pump Gas

Lifetime Membership
Nov 22, 2009
Currently running a '17 163 800cc with an SLP pipe. Spoke with a guy at Carl's today and he was saying(in a non-sales way) how well the Axys respond to porting and their kit which includes pipe, porting, heads and bullydog works extremely well. 3-4 lengths faster than stock in 400ft.

This would be for 8-10k elevation and I really want crisp throttle response, a little more power and reliability more than anything. Don't want to be messing with the tuner or having issues.

Anyone running this or a similar setup?

On a side note I thought I heard MDS has a nice head/SLP pipe combo that doesn't require an controller?

Any info appreciated.

Thanks

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
I've been riding with two of them all year. They perform fantastic, not finicky at all, and even work well in 50 degree springtime time. I nearly parked my stocker a few weeks ago when temps hit 55 to 60 degrees, my sled went from performing well spinning 8,100 R's to running 7,400 R's in springtime air. I had to lighten up 4 grams and switch to a 140/340 primary an account of the mapping being so rich. The remapped ported sleds don't suffer this ailment. I would highly recommend, you do have to run 10 to 15% 110 or you'll be shutdown on every other pull on account of deto.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
I'm running brent linderman ( arctic edge motorsports ) porting,head, pipe, fuel. On my 16 axys. 1200km on the kit. It uses jaws pipe. And boondocker box. Love this set up and so do my friends who tryed it. I'm running 3000-5000 most of the time. And been out from -25c to +10c and have not noticed the sled running rich. Pulling 8300-8500 rpm. Buy far the best work and services I have ever had. Even months after he had my money, he's always there to answer questions.

Last edited:

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
"Spoke with a guy at Carl's today and he was saying(in a non-sales way) how well the Axys respond to porting and their kit"
If your question is more about Carl's porting because there is enough info on here about stage kits etc I offer this:
1. Carl's is sometimes later getting something to market because they test their stuff to make sure its right.
2. They sell more mod products based on reputation than advertising. Good reputation is not made overnight, its earned.
3. Ive had Carls mods on previous Polaris sleds for so many years I cant remember (year 2000 on) that ran flawless even when I was burning down other aftermarket brand kits.
4. Beneficial Porting is an Art form. It's not just a matter of hogging out the ports as much as you can, there is balance with everything, fuel/air blending, hot spots, cracking if you go to thin and much more. Cleaning up the bowls and port matching on a small block chevy is not the same thing, so If your buddy offers to do it for a pack of beer walk away.
5. From big bores, porting, shock valving, Ive never been disappointed with Carls. This is more than my 2 cents.

Mr. Pump Gas

Lifetime Membership
Nov 22, 2009
Great feedback everyone really appreciate it. My question is basically 2 part:

Who has Carl's kit/porting and how does it perform?

How are the Bullydog or other tuner's in this day and age performing in regards to not being finicky and having great throttle response etc?

Killer Time Racing

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2008
Lower Michigan
Great feedback everyone really appreciate it. My question is basically 2 part:

Who has Carl's kit/porting and how does it perform?

How are the Bullydog or other tuner's in this day and age performing in regards to not being finicky and having great throttle response etc?

If you Don't Know Who Carl's Cycle or Jack Struthers is your in the wrong section of the internet !!!
Maybe Look into SLP or Bikeman they come with Stickers and Zero Support

BULLYDOG tuners are a Flash Type Device you just plug it in and choose your Mods from the menu and push Go .. no changes can be made to the tuning inside the box and there are nothing for the user to mess up ..

Last edited:

Mr. Pump Gas

Lifetime Membership
Nov 22, 2009
KT- I am familiar with Carl's albeit I have never dealt with them personally. They were great on the phone.

This is a specific question toward Axys porting. Thought I was in the right section...:face-icon-small-coo

Thanks for clarification on Bullydog.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
You will not be disappointed with Carls Axys porting. They say they are very responsive to mods and have shown all winter that they will perform very close to a low boost turbo. They will outrun my stocker by 100' in 1,000' uphill drag race. In the powder they are incredible to say the least. SLP advertises why run a pump gas turbo when you can run a ported Axys. I thought this was a bit of a stretch until I saw how well they run.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
If you Don't Know Who Carl's Cycle or Jack Struthers is your in the wrong section of the internet !!!
Maybe Look into SLP or Bikeman they come with Stickers and Zero Support

BULLYDOG tuners are a Flash Type Device you just plug it in and choose your Mods from the menu and push Go .. no changes can be made to the tuning inside the box and there are nothing for the user to mess up ..

I respectfully disagree, any time I've had a question both SLP & BMP have been there to answer it and quickly.

G-Force

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2002
Kamloops BC
Couldn't say what BMP's service is like… Because I've never needed to call, sled has run flawless.
Mind you, not running a fully ported engine, just pipe and tuning...

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
I've had multiple Carl's ported sleds, as have friends. They always run great. A few things to keep in mind when considering where to spend your $$$. If you want absolute top-end pull where you smoke your buddies on the straight line drag, there are other porting jobs you will like more that produce more HP.
Carl's porting typically targets a big low, bigger mid with great pull on top...but their porting is set-up for the mountain rider where you are on/off all day, pulling in 3' powder for 5 minutes straight...and it pulls is all day, everyday. It's a very strong mid range to top porting bias. His clutching loads the motor hard in the mid and keeps the Rs all day without heating stuff up...again, no matter what. And you will get the package deal...you get their porting, pipe mapping and clutching. It is all dialed, from day one.
What I've found with other set-ups is that you end up getting recommendations to go with the porting or heads or etc. and you end up having to mess with clutching, fuel numbers, and even burn down sometimes.

MaxSimoneau

Premium Member
Oct 5, 2017
I am currently running a SLP Stage 3 with bullydog at sea level..I am considering going to a stage 4 at the end of the season.

Is there a reason to go with Carl's over SLP (or vice versa) ?

Premium Features