• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pto crank seal issue????

N

nate18

Jan 3, 2009
Pulled primary and noticed just a little black sludge on seal plate, pulled plate and this is what was there. Little bit of black sludge. Do I have a leaky pto seal or more just normal build up of some crap. 17 axys 800. Sled seems to be running fine.Thanks for any advice

IMG_2058.jpg IMG_2063.jpg

assaulted-one

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2013
ND
If it was mine I'd replace it, seals are cheap, pistons and bearings aren't. At the very least, run it and spray some either on it and see what happens. If it speeds up the seal is out.

N

nate18

Jan 3, 2009
Not under warranty anymore and sled is turbo'd..these seals are replaceable without pulling and splitting the case????

A
Sep 29, 2008
I have the same problem on my '16 Axys with a Silber turbo. If case splitting is required my plan is to just monitor it. Right now I have similar oil residues to those in your pictures, with very little on the back of the primary. If I start to see it being flung into the belly pan or clutch guard I'll consider doing something about it. Considering the amount of oiling Silber tuning provides I am confident my main bearings are sufficiently lubricated. Right now this is a very insignificant oil loss in what is a total-loss lubrication system.

Phil

N

nate18

Jan 3, 2009
I have something that I can use on the intake side to plug/pressurize and check psi level but exhaust is the tricky side..can you plug the end of y pipe? If so with what? It's 2.5 in all the plugs and caps at hardware store are 2 or 3....even if I could plug y pipe is seal against cylinders good enough????

Premium Features