• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Indy Dans Turbo Clutching

A

Anthony Oberti

Jul 4, 2001
Eagle, ID
I am running Dans turbo weights and am very impressed. 2018 163, BD turbo, 11lbs. I have tried MANY clutch set ups and really like his weights. Running a 46 finish angle, and this set up is lights out. 8600rpm all day long, great on big hills and in tight trees and creek bottoms. I have done extensive testing with Jack Struthers(Carls) and we found these weights to perform best overall, AND they actually produced less belt heat(as measured with IR gauge) as compared to other weights.

snowracer21

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2012
Ordered the IS setup for my '17 AXYS w/ Silber turbo... went through 2 belts in 130 miles with the silber clutching...

Should have the kit by Thursday, gonna ride Friday, I'll post my review Friday night

A

Anthony Oberti

Jul 4, 2001
Eagle, ID
Way steeper than 46....but finish angle is 46. Its a Carls helix that they had made specifically for turbos. And it works exceptionally well.

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Feedback i have heard from Dealers & customers

A few customers called and asked if I would post on this thread.

I didn't have time to read this thread yet.

The Turbo 3 weights are pretty easy to tune, the tuning holes are all out at the tip for a reason.

And it seems a average gram weight i hear for 7 pounds of boost is about 72 to 74 gram area HIGH ELEVATION .

Now you can get to 72 area grams a lot ways....... the good part is that the T3 works pretty good even if its not SET-UP correct for your style.

quick example - Red spring - 140 psI starting x 320 ( maybe alittle To high engagement fir some ). hole #1 full hole 2-1 hole #3 -1

Now if you have a soft drive spring lets say 125/290 area

and lets say the thing was a little sluggish..... You can empty hole number #1 and then load up Hole-#2 & #3 and the throttle response and snappiness increases with a soft spring. ( I talked with Jack at Carls cycle and he likes the #2 turbo hole full )

Seems like its hard to send one spring for the drive clutch to make everyone happy, if anyone feels the kit is to aggressive or not aggressive enough you can just e-mail or call us for a different drive Spring.

it seems the 120 to 140 PSI are the 2 most commonly used.... I have several guys running 130 PSI but those springs are harder to find.

As for the Driven clutch the MTN 1 helix with either our standard issue 155/222 spring, or on occasion a few guys like the 140/200 less aggressive riders with lower boost.

I would like all to understand the main goal of the complete Turbo Clutch kit was ( BELT LIFE ) with the most low end throttle response possible. ( I do cut a few other helix's that shift faster and pull harder down low ). belt life could decrease with more aggressive helix's but will pull harder.

If anyone thinks its to aggressive we offer softer drive springs then the RED..... The weights were designed to NOT need 180 PSI springs that tend to break On occasion.

And I was also fully aware that there are riders from 130 pounds to 375 Plus..... and 144 tracks to 174 - pretty wide spread.

Its a clutch weight design exclusively for Turbos and there is really no right or wrong way to place magnets.
I strongly suggest you move them around and see what fits your style.

It seems people have pretty easily found a set up that works pretty good for them, and they seem pretty easy on belts to matter where the magnets are.

I am building 2 new Turbo weights...... 1 set lighter for the 600 to 700 turbo guys and a set heavier for high boost in the 85 max gram area. ( There is a guy named McCardy Running a one of a Kind 700 Turbo
IQR motor we built for him and he has a lighter set of Turbo weights we sent him to test. Hoping he chimes in if he sees this.

Thank you to all our Turbo 3 Customers !!

Dan

Last edited:

Davajn

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2012
Sweden
www.instagram.com
Anyone got a clue what Indy recommends for belt-to-sheave clearence? Cant find any info regarding it on their homepage for their Turbo clutch kit (v3 weights).

02sedona

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Reno, NV
Anyone got a clue what Indy recommends for belt-to-sheave clearence? Cant find any info regarding it on their homepage for their Turbo clutch kit (v3 weights).

Copied and pasted

That has changed over the past years...........

Back in the 1980's - I use to shim my own personal clutchess between .000 to .005 thou to the widest part of a NEW belt. ** NEVER A USED BELT ** then would start the sled and drive it with no idling until I had 50 to 100 miles on the belt to wear the first .010 off the belt.

That was 3 cylinder days.... low torque low belt heat flatland running.

Now you take high torque twins and mountains.... We shimmed to the .020 to .030 range.

To big For my liken, but I has Been proven that any tighter and there can be trouble.

But also you can run into the person that doesn't know how to adjust his belt deflection and he thinks the sheaves are draging the sides..... and really its because it now has a new belt and the driven was never set correctly.... and the belts choked up to tight.

lots of little things matter in the clutches.

Dan

black z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2014
MN
Indy Specialties has completely upgraded both of my clutches and balanced both. Springs, helix, and Turbo 3 weights. Silber turbo with 7 lbs on a 14 pro, and it has been perfect with 74 grams. The clutches run cool enough that I can hold my bare hand on both for as long as I want after a pull, very impressed. :present:

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Heavy Turbo 3's

That high boost clutch kit could be interesting for me! Going to lower CR to ~11;1 and increase boost to around 15psi.

Just completed the Heavier Turbo 3 weights.

Identify - HT3

They are 4 hole tune able... Base weight 68 grams and Full weight
they are 82 grams

I also made a few exclusive 83 gram sets with no tuning holes
that are just solid with no magnets.

Heat treating is done they will be back from plating end of next week.

Also made a header pulling Helix, and a new spring for guys that really ride hard and build more heat then average riders do, holds the belt a little better in extreme conditions.

Dan

Last edited:

Davajn

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2012
Sweden
www.instagram.com
Interesting. I've sent you a email. Want to give that a try and compare it to my current clutch kit from you.

Just completed the Heavier Turbo 3 weights.

Identify - HT3

They are 4 hole tune able... Base weight 68 grams and Full weight
they are 82 grams

Also made a header pulling Helix, and a new spring for guys that really ride hard and build more heat then average riders do, holds the belt a little better in extreme conditions.

Dan

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
are they the same profile as the t3s? other than the extra hole {added adjustment} what could a guy expect to see/feel between the 2. I am completely happy with the last kit you put out...my clutch temps are a little hotter than some are but not hot. 500miles on my belt and its still looking good!

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
are they the same profile as the t3s? other than the extra hole {added adjustment} what could a guy expect to see/feel between the 2. I am completely happy with the last kit you put out...my clutch temps are a little hotter than some are but not hot. 500miles on my belt and its still looking good!

Yes they are, they are design for the guy that is running more boost or in my case low elevation. They are heavier

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
the ts3 are working great for me at low elevation 5 pounds of boost so are these weights just pointed at people that run BIG BOOST and the helix and springs are what is aimed at the aggressive riders? IS. low elevation kit is just spot on and pulls hard but its even harder to not want to see what he came up with now!

snowracer21

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2012
Figured I'd give my review of IS turbo clutch kit setup

Sled: '17 Rmk Pro 155" w/ QD belt
Silber turbo running 5psi

I was running the included clutch kit, w/ 76g

I blew 3 belts in 150 miles, my clutches were getting ungodly hot. I usually ride at 5-7k.

Found that the secondary was slightly out, so reshimmed it within spec.
I did all three at the same time:

-Aligned clutches per alignment bar spec
-Installed SLP torque stop
-Installed IS turbo 3 weights/red primary spring, their custom cut helix and black secondary spring

I think I found the sweet spot: from the pin, 2 magnets in 1st hole, 0 in 2nd hole, 1 in 3rd hole.

Sled pulls ~8300, and has great backshift (I was willing to give up top end power for more instant throttle response)

After some really hard riding, the primary clutch and belt are warm/hot, but nothing that will burn your hand. In contrast, the clutch setup I was running before, you could easily fry an egg on the primary after a trail ride.

Still gonna play around a bit more with the placement of magnets..but damn, this kit is well worth the $. I have gone 250+ miles on the same belt, and now have the confidence to really ride the sled hard without worrying about the belt.

Jul 22, 2009
I just got my first ride in on my Indy Dan kit and I would echo what' seen said. Overall very positive in terms of performance and clutch temps.

AKFULLTHROTTLE (or Indy) - question for you. I'm also running the 2-0-1 magnet setup. If I needed to add just 1 magnet would you go with a 2-0-2 setup or 3-0-1 or something different? 2016 axys 163 x 2.6, silber turbo at 7lbs. Usually ride around 9-10 but occasionally drop down to that 8 range which is why I ask. Boondocking is definitely the preferred riding style.

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
Take a look and see if this helps <!-- / message --> <!-- attachments --> <fieldset class="fieldset"><legend>Attached Thumbnails</legend> AK posted this for another guy but I found it to be very helpful to understand the weights
</fieldset>

Jul 22, 2009
Take a look and see if this helps <!-- / message --> <!-- attachments --> <fieldset class="fieldset"><legend>Attached Thumbnails</legend> AK posted this for another guy but I found it to be very helpful to understand the weights
</fieldset>

Thanks. I do have this from when I bought the weights. I noticed in their weight chart they are always within 1 magnet of the lesser hole. For example 2-0-1 or 3-0-2. I didn’t know if going to 3-0-1 created too much of a difference between heel weight and tip weight, or if I’m just speculating on something that really isn’t there. They don’t say not to do it but I didn’t know if there was some intel out there that could save me some time. Appreciate it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features