• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SAFETY CONCERN ?? 2017 G4-850 Fuel tank pressurized

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

HFH

Premium Member
Dec 14, 2009
I had the same thing happen to two different sleds a couple weeks ago. We were at 12,000 ft and it was warm. My 2016 Arctic Cat m8000 would not start after taking a break. I tried taking the cap off and it didn't really make a difference. We had to pull the cord for about 40 min. While all this was happening we looked and gas was pouring from the left front of my 2017 summit 850. It dumped a lot of fuel. We let it sit, and tried to take off the gas cap. It was a geyser, i had it practically lift my hand in the air. I had to quickly screw it back on. I had to crack the cap till it leaked for about 30 minutes. We finally moved it off the pool of gas and it started and ran fine. The M8000 finally started as well, but it took tons of pulls, the skidoo had e-start. It was really warm and high altitude. We went to a lower altitude and bothh sleds were normal. We had two other arctic cats that ran fine and never had a problem.

Just a note, both sleds were facing downhill as PaulAnd mentioned earlier.

Last edited:
S

stmike

Dec 22, 2008
northern Ontario
Never have i had pressure in the tank on any sled i have owned.Most bikes have a tip over valve that will shut off gas vent in the case of an accident.( tip over )

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Every Doo I have had since '08 has done this, as well as all the others in my riding group....probably at least 25 different Doo's and every one builds pressure. On a sunny day you can hear them whistle until you crack the cap.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
The thing is, if you park them downhill, then you aren't stuck. Try reversing that scenario. It doesn't take a 45 degree slope either. My wife's sled was probably half that steep. Can't understand why this wouldn't bother someone. Nobody else's sleds seem to do this. Doo's are the only ones . Xp's always leaked gas in your trailer.

HFH

Premium Member
Dec 14, 2009
I don't get why this is a big deal at all. Don't park your sled pointing down hill on a 45 degree or steeper slope and slowly unscrew the cap when fueling up. Problem solved.

Mine wasn't that steep at all. We probably lost well over a half gallon out the front left, then had to spend over 30 minutes trying to let pressure out of the cap.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Bothe our 850s pressure up somewhat excessive so it is always hard to remove the fuel cap. So far it has never been a problem just hard to remove the cap. Probably a way to deal with emission control as well. Mine never lost fuel .

LoneViper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
My 850 builds pressure, but try riding a Yamaha Grizzly ATV remove the cap too fast and it'll blow gas right out of the tank. I hate to say it but I think we can thank the EPA.

niner

Lifetime Membership
Mar 16, 2008
Lacombe Alberta
I don't get why this is a big deal at all. Don't park your sled pointing down hill on a 45 degree or steeper slope and slowly unscrew the cap when fueling up. Problem solved.

Obviously you haven't taken a avalanche course. Never park your sled pointing up hill under a 45 degree hill. Your sled needs to be pointed downhill. Sorry for the derail but that's not smart. Carry on.

b-litt

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
McCall, ID
m.youtube.com
Obviously you haven't taken a avalanche course. Never park your sled pointing up hill under a 45 degree hill. Your sled needs to be pointed downhill. Sorry for the derail but that's not smart. Carry on.

Easy there with the unnecessary criticism Jack. If you read what I posted I said nothing about parking your sled pointing up hill on a 45 degree hill. Although I have done that before... It's called being stuck.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
So what seems to be the problem ? Did I miss something ? Is the check valve a little to restrictive ? Does the line need to be rerouted ?

A problem would be when the tank reshapes itself because the turbo cooks it to the point of igniting , now that's a problem .

T
Nov 29, 2007
Wuhan, WA
Parked downhill yesterday and within minutes could smell gas. Got off the sled and looked around and noticed gas running out of the front left shock area. Then it starting pouring out around the seat ontop of the tunnel. I thought I must have cracked my tank or something. Went to loosen the cap off to see if it was pressurized and gas started gushing out of the cap. Swung the @ss end of the sled downhill and tried loosening the cap again, still the same result. Pulled the cap off and gas just billowed out of the tank. I would estimate atleast half a gallon lost before it stopped. It was more than enough gas in all three areas of the sled pouring out that I was concerned about firing the sled up. Now I know where the pictures of sleds burning down come from :face-icon-small-con

Throughout the rest of the day I was constantly unscrewing the cap and it would constantly be pressurized.

Clutched Films

Lifetime Membership
Bad tank design

Hope ski-doo just addresses the goofy banana gas tank situation that's going on. Looks horrible and just gets worse and worse tree branches and bark getting stuck under the tank really bad now. Design flaw or new compound hope they address it.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Hope ski-doo just addresses the goofy banana gas tank situation that's going on. Looks horrible and just gets worse and worse tree branches and bark getting stuck under the tank really bad now. Design flaw or new compound hope they address it.

"goofy banana?"

off trail mike

Lifetime Membership
May 31, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
I think when you are pointing downhill...the pressure relief valve being in the upper right of the fuel tank is now blocked by the fuel...only allowing fuel to purge instead of the air

SNOBI-WAN-KENOBI's got it. Pointed downhill with fuel up against the front of the tank ....it's going to vent fuel as fuel pressure increases.....no vapor to vent if liquid fuel is against the valve.

I don't like it either, but I'll bet no one has ever experienced a split tank due to fuel vapor which means the valve works!!!

Venting system are maybe an EPA reality. I don't like it much either but new tanks are much better at keeping fuel in the tank vs spilling it. That I do like.

OTM

Clutched Films

Lifetime Membership
2017 G4 Goofy Banana Tank

"goofy banana?"

Not the usual fit and finish you would expect from ski-doo. All jokes aside it collects a lot of pine needles/tree branches keeps pushing tank up. Always garaged & trailered in enclosed trailer. Maybe skidoo will perform another bandaid fix haha.

Attachments

• IMG_0338.jpg
    IMG_0338.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0335.jpg
    IMG_0335.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0340.jpg
    IMG_0340.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0341.jpg
    IMG_0341.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 74

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Not the usual fit and finish you would expect from ski-doo. All jokes aside it collects a lot of pine needles/tree branches keeps pushing tank up. Always garaged & trailered in enclosed trailer. Maybe skidoo will perform another bandaid fix haha.

Are they all like that or is it just your sled?

Premium Features