• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Samsung Galaxy s5 active as backcountry GPS?

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Hi guys, wondering if anyone has any real world experience with a Samsung s5/active mapping GPS tracks in the back country. Wouldn't activate and use the cellular function but GPS only. Wondering if it's accurate and reliable.

griffin86

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2008
Cell phones mess with your beacons.

I have used it for fertilizer plots and it is accurate. Another good thing is it saves your favourites and you can view them on a computer.

zalez

Lifetime Membership
Jan 5, 2012
I use an old cell phone with backcountry navigator app. Works really well. The signal messes with beacons if you are doing a search. Gives false positives so remember to turn it off in the unfortunate event you have to use it.

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Good to know. I was looking at mounting it to the machine somehow, was curious how accurate they were vs actual gps which are very expensive for larger screens. Cell phone seemed like a decent alternative assuming it was accurate. Just wasn't sure about the radios in them in the back country.

Premium Features