• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Time to buy Avy beacons. Need some help!

S

Snowjunky

Jan 19, 2008
Loveland,Colorado
I am getting ready to purchase 2 avy beacons. I would like some advice from those of you that have had different beacons. My problem is I wont know what the strong points I am looking for should be. Every salesman and web site promote what they have. I have seen other posts on this but nothing current. One of these beacons will be for my wife/guest so it will need to be very easy to use. The other will be for me and I will practice with it but I still want easy of course. Thanks for all the input ahead of time. Rick

D

deepdiver

Nov 27, 2003
Marysville, WA
I am getting ready to purchase 2 avy beacons. I would like some advice from those of you that have had different beacons. My problem is I wont know what the strong points I am looking for should be. Every salesman and web site promote what they have. I have seen other posts on this but nothing current. One of these beacons will be for my wife/guest so it will need to be very easy to use. The other will be for me and I will practice with it but I still want easy of course. Thanks for all the input ahead of time. Rick
Rick,
I am a County Sheriff's Dept. Search and Rescue team leader. In a life and death situation you will be under possibly one of the most stressful situations in your life. Keep this in mind! If I am buried I want you to have one of the "EASIEST" and most intuitive instruments there is. There are many very good Beacons on the market...however some of the best opnes require more practice and knowledge to operate effectively. I use a high end ortovox(sp?) but I would not reccomend the one I have for those that dont work with them on a more regular basis. I purchased a BCA Tracker for my wife as it is just plain simple to use..it is durable and the display is simple and very bright with Red LEd's that you can see in very sunny conditions. Mine has a LCD screen and is a "Bee with an itch" to see in bright sunlight! Most of my friends all have the BCA Tracker. Checkout www.backcountry.com They have a wide varity of beacons with good pricing and they are a good company to deal with. Remember when you get a beacon it is IMPERATIVE that you have a good shovel and Probe to go with it! Good luck and have fun shopping.

Last edited:
S

Snowjunky

Jan 19, 2008
Loveland,Colorado
Thanks for all the input. I think it will end up one each tracker and pieps. need to get my hands on a couple now and see how each works. I am going to hook up with Snowbigdeal on another item also and maybe he has one of each and I can take my other half with and see wich one she takes to. Thanks again for everyones input.

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
I think it will end up one each tracker and pieps. .

....I would get 2 of the same unit. That way there is no confusion if you grab the wrong one, etc. I will say this, the Tracker flat out works. I have first hand experience, unfortunately, and I won't trust my life, or my family's life, to anything else.

Ace

C

CuzzinOlaf

Dec 12, 2007
Same here.... best price I found so far is $289 shipped with a free probe. Anyone find anything better?

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
I have a pieps dsp and a bca tracker. I do like them both, however when i take some one riding with me that has never used one I give them the pieps to wear. I think it is a very easy unit to use. I do like the bca, i just think it is a little more complecated then the pieps dsp.

THE IMPORTANT THING NO MATTER WHAT BEACON YOU BUY IS THAT YOU KNOW HOW TO USE IT. PRACTICE WITH IT ON A MONTHLY BASIS!!!!!

N
Nov 27, 2007
Kapowsin, WA
Same here.... best price I found so far is $289 shipped with a free probe. Anyone find anything better?

Check the Avy classes around you. One of our local sled shops charges for the class but then lets you put that toward a beacon. Pretty good deal. Whatever you pick (my family all uses Trackers) learn how to use it in real life conditions. Broad daylight in the backyard has limited value. Spend time up in the snow looking for buried beacons. Also work on probe and shovel skills, it's not as easy as you think. Like Deepdiver said, it will be a very intense situation. Luckily I have never had to dig anybody out of an Avy, but working in law enforcement I have been in high pucker-value situations. Thoughts stop and training kicks in. Didn't mean to get long winded but that is my 2 cents worth.
Also, I'm sure you've heard it before but the best way out of an avy is to not get in one, education is key.

I would not purchase the M2. They had problems with the batteries coming loose in the compartment. I have also seen quite a few of them go on the blink. I would go

1. Barryvox Pulse - way ahead of the rest it is easy to use, and easily finds one or multiple burials. You can use it with your gloves on, it has a large LCD display which shows directions and arrows, and you can scroll between different burials. Customizable if you want it to be.
2. The Pieps DSP - Lets you mark victims as you find them. A big easy to see screen. Easy to learn how to use it.
3. BCA Tracker - A great beacon (and good value) for finding one person quickly. The SP button works reasonable well to find a second as long as you practice with it and the two beacons are in different orientation.

The Ortovox S1 could be a contender this year but they have had a lot of problems over the last couple and their release has been delayed again and again. A great idea if they can get it to work properly.

S
Nov 29, 2007
I have an Ortovox M2 and can recommend it highly. The battery compartment thing was voluntarily remedied by Ortovox for free and all new M2s have the newly designed battery compartment door. The problem came when the Chinese started manufacturing substandard sized batteries so they wanted no chance for possible error. One reason I chose the M2 is it uses AA batteries instead of AAA. All my stuff I carry uses AA, so why not standardize?

In Feb. I took an Avalanche Class and between the instructor and my classmates we had every beacon and model made. The Pieps DSP clearly had the longest range of any beacon there, provided lockout of burials after discovery and, with practice, I found it very easy to use. I am kind of a techno junky, but my son-law also found it easy to use and he is not. If I was buried I would want my buds looking for me with a DPS. I think they would find me quicker.

That being said, practice is everything. We had a couple who each had the DPS and in our team practice burial, they couldn't find their butt with either hand. We made the mistake of using them and one other searcher to find 5 burials. My son-in-law found 4 before they found the 5th and he was using a new M2 for the 1st time. He knew nothing about any beacon before the class started. The most important thing is to learn how to use the beacon you have until it becomes 2nd nature to operate it. Take an avy class!
s-a

Premium Features